Liked: 0

Default Old Formula Vee SCCA Solo classes

I have an old formula Vee, (63 Sardini) Still mostly original except a 1600 putting out about 60 hp, Everything else still old Vee, drum brakes 5 inch wide tires, stock steering box and way over weight. I have been racing SCCA Solo in FM, The problem is the Red Devils and similar cars, they have more Hp less weight and wider tires, disk brakes and rack and pinion steering. I can not keep up them. Is there any other Solo Class and old Vee can run in with a better index (PAX)?

Liked: 183

n/m

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    n/m
    N modified? Never heard of it?

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    N modified? Never heard of it?
    sorry, too busy multi-tasking and I posted and deleted a completely useless answer to your question.

Other than upgrading the kit you have, I can't offer any ideas.

FM is the only class a Vee fits in. It sounds like there is a good bit you can do with the car to increase performance.

Toss out everything that is extra to get the weight down. You don't need body work past the firewall. Have you updated the 1600 with dual carbs to get the most from it? Or you may consider going the single carb 1915 engine route.

Lastly check the rules package to to see if you can move your car to a balljoint beam and disc brakes. It's not that you most likely need more brake but the discs should allow you to get more consistently to the threshold without have to constantly play with the adjusters.

What you can mix and match though is about as clear as burnt engine oil at the moment.
    Mark Swick

Liked: 3

I'd go the other direction and take the car back to road race prep...then go run vintage events. There's no way to compete in a Vee in SCCA Solo, if you care about winning.

I do some vintage stuff with it as well as show it so I realty don't want to turn it in to a solo Vee. If anything I put and 1200 back in it. I guess I'll just have fun but it just doesn't seem fair to run with the red Devils ,Dwarfs, and legend cars. I am fairly new to SCCA but it seem like most cars have several different classes they can run so I was wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by fezzic181 View Post
    FM is the only class a Vee fits in. It sounds like there is a good bit you can do with the car to increase performance.

Toss out everything that is extra to get the weight down. You don't need body work past the firewall. Have you updated the 1600 with dual carbs to get the most from it? Or you may consider going the single carb 1915 engine route.

Lastly check the rules package to to see if you can move your car to a balljoint beam and disc brakes. It's not that you most likely need more brake but the discs should allow you to get more consistently to the threshold without have to constantly play with the adjusters.

What you can mix and match though is about as clear as burnt engine oil at the moment.
    Last edited by jwolf; 06.04.12 at 2:27 PM.

Liked: 1

Your car can actually run wider tires than the F5's can.

I don't think anyone has run a solo vee that is actually FULLY prepped. If you don't want to actually turn it into a solo vee, you probably don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at being competitive in the class.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by F five hunj View Post
    Your car can actually run wider tires than the F5's can.

I don't think anyone has run a solo vee that is actually FULLY prepped. If you don't want to actually turn it into a solo vee, you probably don't stand a snowball's chance in hell at being competitive in the class.
    Scott Nardin's solo V is fully prepped, and significantly faster than any other V in FM. But it still won't keep up with the Colegrove's F5. My advice would be to keep the V FV legal to maintain its value for club racing. For solo, buy an F5 for FM or an FF for CM.

Don

Liked: 3

I can't see any way to get a Solo Vee, starting with its suspension design limitations and much larger physical "footprint", anywhere in the same zip code with the F500's. Folks did try, for a couple of years, but agreement seems to have been reached that it isn't worth the time/money/effort.

Thread Information