Liked: 9

Liked: 9

Default Cool.

Having spent 25 years in Spokane, I'm glad to see this.

Is there SCCA or other club racing in Spokane these days?
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Liked: 10

ICSCC (International Conference of Sports Car Clubs) sanctions an annual race weekend with Northwest Motorsports (Spokane Local Club) at Spokane County Raceway. This year it is July 13-15 and it's always a great event. If you haven't been to the Spokane track for a while, there have been many impovements and it's a great track to drive.

CHeers,

Liked: 322

This event was fun, I had a great time. I was able to get 4 of my 5 required race sessions to fulfill my Sovren competition license. I ran nice clean (read slow) races, steadily improved my times, passed a couple times (and got passed), no major mechanical problems, and most importantly brought my car home in one piece!

Being a novice, first race in my car, newly assembled motor and a track I've never been to - let's just say I had a lot to learn. I had a LOT of help and great advice from so many people and would like to thank you all.

Forgive me if I miss a couple of you, but there are a couple that really deserve a formal thank you.

Ken and Tracy Dye - DND is a great shop, they helped me get my car prepped for the weekend. Ken was ALWAYS encouraging me to keep going and get out on the track. Tracy came through at the track with a couple parts and a helping hand. These guys are always available when I need advice and their work is top notch.

Stephen Guy - thanks for the use of the transponder, loaning me some race fuel and the usual support from a fellow Royale owner.

My instructor Greg (sorry I can't remember the last name!) - he took the time to show me around the track, coach me on the correct line, and his cheer squad family made me feel like I was part of the local scene.

Ray Mortensen - Ray is a good friend of many years and a great mechanic. He has offered his shop (Performance Apex in Maple Valley, WA) , time and advice many times over the years.

All of the other guys and gal in Group 4 - thanks for the great races and I will apologize now if I did any stupid moves out there!

Lastly my best friend of over 35 years, Jeff Johnstonbaugh - Jeff has been there with me all the way though this adventure and is also my crew. I would never have gotten out there without him and his support.

See you all at the next race!
    -John
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

John,
    The Greg you mentioned is Greg Coffin (driving his Swift DB3). Great guy and always willing to help those in need.
    I wish I could've spent more time out at the track and met you John.
    Lawrence
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 322

Thanks Lawrence. I thought you might be there somewhere. I wish I could have spent more time meeting everyone as well, the weekend is a lot more hectic when driving than spectating.

Next time, I still owe you a beer!
    -John
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 10

The local news station KHQ had multiple camera crews and even a helicopter filming our racing at this event and gathering commentary from participants. They are putting together a one hour program from that footage and it will air on the station SWX (I don't know how local it is) on July 13th at 9:30 pm. I think they will also be making some DVDs of that program. During the formula group's first race on Sunday,the helicoper was filming and there was a great racing captured!

Cheers,

Thread Information