Liked: 5

Default Low Pressure Behind Radiator?

I have a F600 and would like to help improve the cooling on my car. At Road Atlanta this weekend I was seeing oil temps of 230 and water temps of 210. I have a pretty good sealed air box in front of the oil cooler and radiator that is significantly larger than the opening to slow the air down and create a higher pressure area in front. I think the flow behind the radiator can be improved upon. Currently the air has to make a 90 degree turn inside the side pods and flow into the engine bay and out the back of the car. I have a nice large flat surface on both the side and the top of the bodywork as well as a flat surface directly in front of the rear wheel to work with. What would be a good device for creating a low pressure behind the radiator to evacuate the hot air?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    I have a F600 and would like to help improve the cooling on my car. At Road Atlanta this weekend I was seeing oil temps of 230 and water temps of 210. I have a pretty good sealed air box in front of the oil cooler and radiator that is significantly larger than the opening to slow the air down and create a higher pressure area in front. I think the flow behind the radiator can be improved upon. Currently the air has to make a 90 degree turn inside the side pods and flow into the engine bay and out the back of the car. I have a nice large flat surface on both the side and the top of the bodywork as well as a flat surface directly in front of the rear wheel to work with. What would be a good device for creating a low pressure behind the radiator to evacuate the hot air?
    Hey Chris - Good job at Rd A last weekend.
    What I have seen folks do is to cut slots, basically drilling two 3/4" holes about 6" apart and then using a saw to connect the holes - forming the slots.
    I have also seen little wickers attached to the trailing edge of the slots to help evacuate air.
    Look at pics of various cars to see what folks have done, Brandon's F1000 comes to mind.

Thanks Glen! I still have a long way to go to catch up to Clint, but it was a new personal best for me at Road Atlanta by 2 secs so I was pretty happy. The new fuel cell made the 16 laps with no hiccups. With the FE's racing with us it cut my race short by two laps so still don't know if it will make the full 18 laps of the SARRC. I'll do some digging and see if I can find some photos of Brandon's car.
    Chris Ross
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

e-mail sent.

Thanks Brandon!
    Chris Ross

Thread Information