Liked: 14

Default Changing Engines at the track

OK, so I've been very lucky to never have had to change an engine at the track...... until now. I have to take the enginelees car to Mosport, hook up with my new engine and do an install at the last minute Thursday evening.

At home I have a nice wheeled engine hoist (that I can't transport of course !) but at the track how do folks manage the task of hoisting the new engine into place ?

Can it be done with 3-4 guys using mescle power ? (awkward for sure)

Anyone going to Mosport have a mobile hoist I could borrow for a few minutes Thursday afternoon/evening ?

TIA..................Gary

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Shades of '08

when I did the engine on test day coming out of 5b. Got it together for the next days Q w/ about 38 seconds to spare (and used all the pent up emotion to put it on pole...
    I have since learned not used the rev limiter @ 13,300 as the shift point).

There's a fella that has a shop in the old wooden pit stalls on the front straight that is the defacto Grandfather to young pups like us (OK, maybe not me, but definitely YOU!). Dudeman hooked me up with a portable lift.

I'm certaiin that you will be able to bum one from one of the other tinm top teams, OR I have a text in to Critter right now who is headed NB on I 75 to see if he packed his engine removal/install lightweight aluminium gantry.

Critter just replied YES - so gotcha covered.

I believe JR also has a HD version to lift the whole car...

PS Bravo for heading to the track with an engineless car. Incredible when you factor in there are folks who DNS because the car is not in final paint!!
    Make sure you have EVERYTHING you are going to need for the install from the other engine. If so did it take out the oil cooler? Dry sump or wet? If dry is new engine prepped for dry sump w/ oil port modded (if GSXR)?

There's only about 178 boxes in the flowchart to a happy engine install, c ya there...

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Assume we are talking about a bike engine. Those are no problem for 2 guys to lift in place.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    PS Bravo for heading to the track with an engineless car. Incredible when you factor in there are folks who DNS because the car is not in final paint!!
    FINAL Paint! How about a racer I knew who went to the June Sprints w/o an engine cover!

Thanks for the offer Coop.

If you don't mind, I'll look you up when I get to the track on Thurs and borrow that gantry, if you don't mind.

Many thanks..............Gary

Liked: 0

For people power to install...it isn't the strength of the person (or persons) but access to the engine area. If you can straddle the engine opening area then it is pretty easy but if you have to tilt the engine to back and forth it is very difficult (even with a lift). Get help from your fellow FB racers...good guys and knowledgeable.

Hasty Horn
    Last edited by HastyHorn; 05.15.12 at 8:08 PM.

Liked: 43

A 6 to 8 foot long 2x4, a piece of sturdy rope around the board tied to the engine, a guy on each end of the 2x4 that knows what it's like to have his finger pinched by a heavy object, and third person (the captain calling the shots for proper placement sequences).

Ohhh.... I like the 2x4 idea ! That will be my fall back position, if the borrowed gantry doesn't work out.

Thanks again...........

While I have never had to change an engine at the track it would probably involve a chair, some beers and the decision not to.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

From what I've seen in padocks so far all you have to do is stand by your car with the engine sitting next to it and the tools needed to install it will appear out of thin air. One of the things that makes grassroots motor sports so much fun
    Mark Swick

Liked: 151

as a veteran of several paddock engine changes (including one during the 2010 national championship game), it is pretty straightforward. Since you have an FC conversion, I assume that you still split the car for changing engines. Get the two car halves ready and just roll the engine/rear box combo on to the frame. Any more than two people and they are just in the way.

Liked: 8

Two years ago we had to do an engine swap on a friends Prod car at the track.
    We were able to sweet talk the track into letting us use one of the track wreckers as a red-neck engine hoist. Worked pretty sweet and only took 10-15 minutes to drop the engine & transaxle in. Might be another option....
    Greg Gauper
    #15HP
    2011 HP National Champ

Yes... I forgot to mention it's a VD conversion using Jay Novaks kit.

I've never split the car to change engines... just remove the top frame brace and all the mounts. The engine does have to be turned 90 degrees to come out, but that's it.

Liked: 123

I made a portable engine hoist that slips into the tow bar receiver on my truck, never used it once. If I need to change an engine at Mosport (did a Mini engine between sessions once) I borrow David's gantry (Britain West). Other tricks include using the ramp of a hauler with a lift gate. Bike engine, I would honestly just stand over it and pick it up, but I am ornery that way.

Brian

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Engine change at track

Gary,

I have done three at track changes in my Stohr WF-1 and one was during tornados at VIR Nationals in 2011. I used Victor Seaber's Viper garage in the back that at least kept us out of the elements. At track engine changes can be a PITA and take longer than you want.

It seems as though many teams carry the MK Technologies break down lift that you can typically borrow readily. Of course Critter's custom lift is something to be seen. It has seen more engine changes than any lift in the paddock.

Since you are installing and not changing motors, it will be a breeze.

I have a few recommendation others prorbably use for a swap.
    1) My spare motor is always fully dressed for the swap (i.e. oil pan on, plumbing fixtures on, throttle bodies on, wire connectors the same, etc.).
    2) I have a separate tote of tools that has EVERY TOOL I need to change the motor. Therefore there is no stealing from your main box and chasing tools. These tools would include standard tools, special tools you have made to get the job done quicker, AN plug/caps for all the oil hoses/fuel lines, fluid extractors and hose lengths that hook into peacocks on the radiator/oil drain, Northern tool battery power impact wrench (great for chain stuff), small battery powered impact wrench for lighter stuff, wire ties. etc.
    3) I carry a spare oil cooler in case the other may have debris in it.
    4) 4 rolls of paper towels for mess control, box of rubber gloves and mechanics gloves when thing are hot and helps save busted knuckles.
    5) I also carry a rolling chassis stand or use jack stands with 2x4's across them to get the car in the air. Saves a lot of back stain.

A after a late afternoon engine swap always taste better than any other time I can remember.

Good luck at Mosport!

Thread Information