Liked: 62

Default Weekend 1 Videos

I posted some videos from this race weekend up on Youtube. Note that these are from the back (the very back) of the pack, so some of them are a bit sparse in competition after the first few laps. You can see the fast guys go past a few times in each of the races Quality of the video's isn't stellar, a bit jumpy in places, all shot with a cheap Kodak camera.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wake074?feature=mhee

I turned off the comments, as I usually just get the "you suck" type comments. If you have something constructive to say, I'd be happy to hear that. I clearly need to work on my starts. I think I'm starting in too high of a gear, and outside the power band, so there is a bit of lag upon the green flag start.

Not stellar videos, but there are not too many open wheel videos of racing at Shenandoah particularly in each direction, so at least you'll get a view of a different track.

Glenn

Liked: 8

Thanks for posting the videos Glen, I'll watch them tomorrow when I get home.
    (I'm at work now and they block 'youtube')
    I like that track layout very much even though they are to be honest a bit too
    challenging for me but that's up to me to change, besides who wants to race on an
    EZ track ?
    again thanks for the clips !

Robert

Liked: 121

Glenn, I take it you are a new driver. If you had fun you are doing good so far! It looks like you can start in a lower gear and maybe use a lower gear in various areas around the track, or maybe carry more speed in the gear you are using. You will have to get the feel for all of that. I don't think you are in the powerband a lot of the time as the engine noise seemed subdued. Are you flat footing the throttle or slowly squeezing like you were taught in school? You will learn to squeeze harder and faster. Racing is noisy and kind of aggressive yet at the same time requires smoothness and finess. You will learn that too. You will get better at your shifting with more time doing it and not thinking about it so much. If you use a racing clutch you can upshift without clutching. You will learn that. Your lines looked pretty good for a newbe but your not using all the track. Yep, you will learn that too!
    Good luck and have fun.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

it takes time. one thing to work on though, is to drive the proper line when you can and not just follow the car in front of you. i noticed that very frequently, when the yellow car in front of you missed a corner, you pretty much followed him exactly. it takes time to be aware of the cars around you, while placing your car consistently and precisely where you want at speed, and not be overwhelmed in the cockpit. fortunately, you're in the right club to get that time.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    ... If you use a racing clutch you can upshift without clutching.
    Ok; do tell

Rick

Liked: 18

Default close ratios vs wide split

The closer the ratios the easier it is to shift without a clutch BUT if yor next race class requires bigger splits between the ratios (F/F to F/A) you will need to adjust your driving style.

Thanks for the replies, and input. That was my 5th full weekend of racing, so I'm still very much a rookie. Of the tracks the FRCCA runs that's probably my least favorite, although some of the more experienced members of the club really seem to enjoy it. There's not much (any?) run off room around the track which definitely alters your confidence level as a rookie. Most of you have probably never driven the track, as I don't think any other open wheel group (including the vintage groups) use it. Heck I talk to people that didn't even realize there was a second track at Summit Point that cars could run on.

I did look at some of the data from my old Stack system over the weekend. I'm still trying to get that worked out, but I have most of the channels functional. It's clear I'm not spending enough time in the power band especially when looking at the throttle and engine speed charts.

I'm still driving too conservatively, but I guess that is better than over-driving my skill-set.

More seat time is required...........

Thanks again!

Forgot to mention that I started trying to upshift with-out the clutch, the 2-3, and 3-4 (albeit I didn't use 4th much at that track) went okay, the 1-2 didn't seem to work-out quite as well for me, as you can hear in some of the videos. Still tapping the clutch on the way down.

I had a horrible time missing the 2 to 1 downshift on Saturday. One of the racers dads (thanks Bill) helped me diagnose that I was trying to push straight-up to the front (like you would in a car), and I was hitting the space between first and reverse. My shifter rod is not parallel to the car frame, it's more angled out towards the front right wheel, so once I started mentally going up and slightly to the right on the 2 to 1 shift, I didn't get stuck in neutral again, which made the hairpin after the bridge much more enjoyable....

Liked: 27

Glenn, I'm with you. I do NOT like that racetrack. You are constantly sawing at the wheel ,shifting and you don't even have a chance to check your guages. It's too tight for me. Probably be great in a cart. And I can testify to the fact that runoff is minimal especially running it backwards.. Pops
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Glenn,

How many Formula Vees were there? Thanks for posting the video. I'm going to run the race in November, now I have something to study and try to figure out where the track goes!

Quote Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
    Heck I talk to people that didn't even realize there was a second track at Summit Point that cars could run on.
    Actually there are 3. PHA (Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association) runs a time trial on the Jefferson circuit twice a year. Memorial day weekend is clockwise and Labor day weekend is counter-clockwise. It's a good way to get some extra seat time, and you're on track with only 2 other cars at a time so you can focus on driving without having to worry about people passing you. If you're free those weekends, check it out. www.pahillclimb.net

Chris

Liked: 18

Default Run off room

Any race driver that is looking at the "run-off room" is not looking at the Apex. Race the track with a properly set-up racecar and you do not need to look at run off room. The Shanandoah race tracks were designed by a very competitive and challenging race driver - Bill Scott (RIP). If you prefer challenge over just high speed, these layouts are for you.

Liked: 27

You don't need runoff room unless you get tagged by an opponent like I did last year ! Or attempt to pass a slow car on a damp track ,that one was my fault. But I do like a fast more open track, that's just my preference. Sorry to take this off topic. Pops
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

It's all about perspective, as a rookie driver, I am more "comfortable" at a track with run-off room. It has nothing to do with looking at the apex or not looking at the apex or the proper or improper set-up of my car. I don't plan to use the airbags in my street car, but I'm still more comfortable driving knowing that they are there if something either in my control or out of my control happens.

Having a discussion on what track is "better" or "worse", "challenging" or "less challenging" is a meaningless discussion as it a preference based discussion. It's like two rednecks having a ford vs. chevy debate.

Chris - Thanks for the links. Interesting organization. I didn't realize hill climbs were still active in the US other than Pikes (which obviously everyone has heard of). The FRCCA had a couple of Vees at the first race this year, but should pick-up a couple of more as the race season progresses.

Thread Information