Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 151

Default A few more more points to add.

We need you to enter now for a few good reasons.

1st you can enter spending no dollars as the organizers would actually prefer you pay at the track
    2nd they are doing a lot for us and showing them real entries helps them to feel they will pass their breakeven point.
    3rd They need to know what entry info to bring over to the special registratrion
    4th Same as above applies to tech.

I need to know how many cars will be needing a full annual. Everyone please shoot me an e-mail so I know your status. I also think we have two brand new cars that need to be issued logbooks. Also let me know so that I can tell them how many logbooks to bring.

Bill and I are going to be requesting your bios for the track announcer. You may as well start on those.

I’m hoping that Steve Everard can bring the appropriate technology so he can merge the track announcer on the FM stream with Reece’s in-car just as he did at the ARRC.

Default More Nelson Information

Spoke with Jim Schings recently. He only has one rental car available and would like to see that seat filled. If you have been on the fence and want to dive in--- now is the time.

All of the FST perks outlined in my Nelson Ledges post at the FFDA BBS have been confirmed except one which I expect to be OK’d this week. For those bringing brand new cars Tech will have logbooks and roll bar number stamps.

A question about tire service was asked and I’ll try to get an answer for you on that. In the past we have had a tire truck.

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

The in car video and track comentary is in hand, so hopefully it will be similar to Road Atlanta.
    Reece has his annual tech already done Robert so no need at the track.
    Steve

Liked: 0

I don't recall seeing a race weekend the last few years of flagging out there that the Hoosier truck hasn't been at the show.
    Mark Swick

Liked: 10

Default Roll Call Update!

11 Official Entries, looks like we will have a 12 car field!! The best start to a season for Formula FST!!!

Still one rental car available from SR - don't miss out!!

Yes
    Jon Mader (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Dave Dawson (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Randy Shinn (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Doug Seim (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Doug Sharp (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Reece Everard - (entered) Friday Practice (yes)
    Gary Grubb - (entered) - Friday Practice (yes)
    Rob Clark (entered) - Friday Practice (no)
    George Podgorski (entered)- Friday Practice (no)
    Nick Maurus - (entered) - Friday Practice (?)
    Jerad Smith (entered) - Friday Practice (?)
    Sam Farmiga - Friday Practice (yes)

Friday Practice Only
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow

Maybe?
    John Stofka
    Lance Renshaw
    SR Racing Renter??

Definate No
    Butch Deer
    Jim Nash
    Dennis Richardson
    Dave Blevins
    Jason Steeb
    Tim Hensley

Liked: 25

I will be entering as soon as I get back to North America on Monday.

SCCA delivered my Homoligation paper this week so all should be a go for my new car
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Default Nelson Preview Part I

Over the last week three “maybe’s” have asked me about coming out Nelson to see the FST’s run and look at some construction details. If you have not contacted me come out to Nelson just show up as there will be plenty to do and see. All of us are dedicated to helping you join the best regional series in the country.

This year there are many ‘firsts for FSTs’. There are new conversion cars, notably, Gary Grubb’s Adams will be running its first race as FST. I’ve seen pictures and it’s a 1st class conversion. Gary’s been held up with engine machine work but I’m told that everything is now moving along. On the other hand, Jon Mader’s Adams will be running its first race this side of the Mississippi. Jon bought the ex-Tim Wall car from the west coast and after driver’s school, this will be Jon’ first race. Jon’s day job is what I’ve always wanted to do as he’ a professional race engineer. Good things are expected because I’m told he has a great attitude and skills. Another new conversion is the Citation XTP from the SRacing shop. While never having run a race before It’s in the capable hands of Jared Smith. We all know that Jared is very fast and will extract the full potential of this beast. Sam Farmiga’s spent the off season building a car around himself. I’ve seen the homologation app pics and its quite a good looking car with very nice craftsmanship everywhere. Sam’s big regret is using SS brake line---won’t do that again. Sam is bringing his old Citation to and will be a “shoo-in” for the car-driver-ratio award.

My 2011 Evolution will be running its very first SCCA race in the capable hands of George Podgorski. George is towing all the way from Connecticut and his son Nick is coming to act as crew chief and I’m hoping for great things from this beautiful car. The other RGU Racing entry, the Mysterian of Doug Seim, has all new running gear after the ARRC and will be a bit of work on Friday (only Friday I hope because Doug’s pre race prep is first class).

Dr Doug Sharp’s Jacer has been re-packaged by Bill Bonow and should be totally ready to go. I’m still amazed how pretty this car is and I totally love the engine cooling system.

Lastly, Randy Shinn is bringing two cars as well. His new AdamsLynx will be tested Friday and “may” make the race. His Mysterian has a totally new M5 body and it looks fabulous--- See below.

More on the other drivers and the weekend later. For sure, this will be our best documented Series race.
    Last edited by rgu; 08.30.13 at 8:50 PM.

Liked: 190

Default Change of plans

Depending on how Friday goes, I may run the Tim Hensley Caracal for the weekend. To be prepared in case that will happen, I have registered
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 58

Default Bring it on!

The RGU got finished up today with a lightning fast alignment done by Matt while I lounged in the car.

- Bring on the sights

- Bring on the sounds

- Bring on the smells

- Bring on the season!

Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend in beautiful Nelson Ledges!

Doug FST 5

Default bringing it Doug, Bringing it .....

Just finished up the alignment ...it was wayyyyy out. Got the radio problem fixed hopefully and just waiting for the new canopy to arrive so I can get working on the attachment to the trailer.
    Lets hope Nelson dosn't get rain this week, don't want to get dragged out by the farmers like last year.
    See you all Friday.
    Steve

Default Bios

Sent all entrants an e-mail. Need you bios for the Video team and the PA announcer.

I need them right away

Liked: 1

Robert,

Just to clear up some confusion, I am a test engineer in our engineering services division, I do not directly work on any of the race teams. Hopefully expectations are reset slightly lower, haha.

Looks like rain for the race?

-Jonathan

Default Rain....at Nelson....

Jonathan

Well it looks like maybe some rain - maybe thunderstorm(s) Sunday.... Nelson tends to have some interesting weather patterns - if its hot then there are chances of thunderstorm/heat showers that quickly blow in and by.

The good news is the track tends to dry fast, except for a couple of spots that tend to puddle (especially near the pit crossing).

Default Better late than never

Entry is in for Nelson as of this AM for the Adams Acer-J and it first outing.

Group 3 is now 13 FSTs and 3 Vees
    Last edited by SamF; 06.18.12 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added entry numbers
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Liked: 3

I feel a little behind since I just finished bolting the engine in the car a few minutes ago. It's going to be a loooong week.

Default Driver Bios

Got three bios already. Keep em coming!

Default Hoosier Tires Contingency

Just a reminder for those new to the series (and maybe some not so new) to make sure you go to the Hoosier Racing Tire website and register for the contingency program.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Remember to print out copies of the redemption form as you will need these signed at the track.

You also need to make sure you have the Hoosier Decals on your car and overalls - I think SR Racing will have them at the track for those that don't have them yet.

Default Bios

I have bios from 8 entrants. I'll be sending a pest e-mail out tonight- to avoid this whip up something. Your ARRC bio is fine if you can find it.

Does anyone know if we will be allowed to show up Thursday evening to setup and camp out? I'd rather not drive the long distance friday morning before the practice day. And I'm way too cheap to get a hotel for thursday night. I've tried contact the track and keep getting a busy signal on their phone and no email responses.

-Jonathan

Default If Nelson isn't open....

Jonathan,

If the gates are closed on your arrival at the track you could camp at the Nelson Ledges Quarry Park which is just up the road a ways. Here's a link:

http://www.nlqp.com/

There is no big music fest this weekend so plenty of camping space should be available. Of course the place is usually inhabited by neo-hippies so, um, have fun.

Doug FST 5

Default there are two

Doug is right about the quarry park

But just go down Nelson ledges rd (Route 282) about a mile more and you'll see one that the track recommends.

Kook Lakes Camp
    (3.21 miles away)
    12990 Nelson Ledge Rd.
    P.O. Box 673
    Garrettsville,
    Telephone: 440-548-8436

The showers were good with plenty of hot water when I used the place 32 years ago. My experience stopped there but people who ran nationals drove there motor home over there and were pleased.

Default Your choice....

Neo-hippies or Kooks. Pick your poison.

Doug

Default description

As Mel Brooks says "salt of the earth'

Default Last minute stuff

Sent everyone an e-mail with some last minute stuff

Please Check!

Liked: 190

Default Our 10th Season! Entry List for Rounds 1 & 2

Looks like the opening two rounds will have (13) cars each. Our strongest start of a season (this being our 10th year as a series!). Nelson is always a blast. Not much to look at, but I have never finished a Nelson weekend without a smile.

2012 looks to be a year of growth for us with a new batch of racers mixed in with the regulars.

Here is the entry list for Rounds 1 and 2:

# 1 Bonow, William Caracal "C" Plainfield, IL
    # 5 Seim, Doug Mysterian M5.1 AutoWerks/P&NP Computing Okeana,OH
    # 6 Everard, Reece Jacer Rochester, MI
    # 8 Dawson, Dave Campbell Evolution South Bend, IN
    # 11 Grubb, Gary Vector GB4 Maple Heights, OH
    # 16 Podgorski, George Campbell RGU Evolution Autowerks Glastonbury, CT
    # 21 Shinn, Randy Mysterian M-2 Arrow Dynamic Gibsonburg, OH
    # 25 Maurus, Nick Evolution Probe, Inc Winnetka, IL
    # 37 Clark, Robert Evolution CM-1 TeamClark Motorsport SR Racing Rochester, MI
    # 55 Smith, Jared Citation XTCSR Racing, Win Smith Racing Stanford, KY
    # 56 Farmiga, Sam Adams Acer-J Scuderia Farmiga West Chester, OH
    # 77 Mader, Jonathan Adams Aero Novi, MI
    # 90 Sharp DC, Douglas Jacer V2K2 Sharp Chiropractic & AdvocareKawkawlin, MI
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Results!?!?!?

Dudes.... The suspense is killing me!!!!

Liked: 3

Default Top 3

Round 1
    Doug Seim
    Robert Clark
    Reece Everhard

Round 2
    Robert Clark
    Doug Seim
    Dave Dawson

I'm sure Bill or Robert will give a full weekend report.

Default Wow! What a first round!

There's so much to good to say about this one its hard to know where to start. I'll start with a huge 'Thank You' to the FFDA and primarily Robert Guhde for working incredibly hard to make this race a great experience. From working with teams to insure a high car count to working with the organizers on many matters both big and small the effort really showed and made a huge difference. What a great series!

Doug FST 5

Default Great Weekend

[FONT=Verdana]Nelson Ledges really turned on a great weekend - 13 cars showed up for the opening round - this bodes well for the next few rounds that could get 15+ cars. Great work from Robert and the Association.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The Friday test day turned out to be invaluable for many people as teething issues with cars abounded. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]For the SR Racing crew the team didn't have a good start with the Toter breaking down 2hrs short of Nelson. Jim and Jeremy rolled in about 3hrs later than planned, but it wasn't to be the end of the issues for the weekend. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The 37 came out of the box fast, and I managed to put the car on pole for both races with lap times around 1:12.8. Small issues with rear seals, were the biggest problems we had all weekend, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for Jared in the newly converted XTC who struggled with teething and fit issues all weekend. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Saturday's race was a real tactical battle, knowing Doug would be right on my hammer I took off from the green and ran some hard fast laps, Doug however easily paced along behind me, although the gap grew at times to several cars lengths, with the draft and getting round back makers he was always in my mirrors. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Coming off the carousel on the last lap Doug timed his run perfectly and with two wheels on the grass pushed past me to take the win relegating me to 2nd. Reece came home a strong 3rd.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Sunday’s race was a repeat with the first 10 laps being identical in format, however on about lap 11, I broke a headstud and dropped a nice pile of oil all over Doug, thinking my car had an issue he backed off, but not realizing the problem I kept the hammer down and managed to open up a gap, the car continued to turn fast laps despite the broken stud and I came home 1st, Doug 2nd and Dave Dawson 3rd after holding of a determined Reece for the place.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]So after all the dust had settled with 1 win each, I have a 1pt lead over Doug courtesy of the 2 poles and a fastest lap in Race 2 - going to be a tough season. Big thanks to Jim & Jeremy for all the hard work and support.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I will post the podium pictures soon and work on the race video’s over the next few days.[/FONT]

Default Video! Video!

OK - the whole office here is clamoring to see the videos from the race weekend !

A great couple of races this weekend. The one thing that's true about race strategies - each one of them has a good point and a bad point. Second place with three laps to go is usually not a bad thing. Catching a pint of oil with the bodywork and face shield with three laps to go is kind of distracting!

Many thanks to Randy, Brodie, Matt and of course Robert for keeping the car running great all weekend. The car was better each time we went out with the tuning we were doing.

Can't wait for Waterford!

Doug FST 5

Default Podium Photo - Race 1

Default Podium Photo - Race 2

Default Video from Reece Everard's car Race 2

All,

Great weekend, here is the link to the in car video from Sunday race with track commentary.
    Last 4 laps (5 mins from end) shows a great battle between Reece, Dave and George for 3rd place podium finish.

https://vimeo.com/44675902
    Steve

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Loved the #1 cheer at 13:45

Quote Originally Posted by steve everard View Post
    All,

Great weekend, here is the link to the in car video from Sunday race with track commentary.
    Last 4 laps (5 mins from end) shows a great battle between Reece, Dave and George for 3rd place podium finish.

https://vimeo.com/44675902
    Steve
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Default Official Results

Liked: 52

Default Thanks for a great weekend!

Thank you guys for being so welcoming and allowing me to stick a camera in your face while you were hard at work getting ready for the races. It was a blast watching your races and seeing everyone in high spirits before and after the races. I'll make sure this video is the best for you guys to help promote such a great series!

Ryan

Things looked great from station 7 on Saturday. The passes at 12 on Sunday were great. Really love the slip angles these cars can reach while turning. Was great to see all the cars back out each session even when they left the track the previous session broken in some form.

Now back to gathering parts till I have a whole car
    Mark Swick

Default The view from the other end of the grid

While the weekend was not without its problems (too many to mention), we did manage to finish both races. There were several competitors that were having a hard time with mechanical issues, most of us with new cars. Bill Bonow was running around trying help get cars back on track. Bill was a great source of information, good with a wrench and as Sam can attest to, good with a welder. I have to also thank Randy Shinn who loaned out both of the rear rotors on his spare car (I only took one) on Sunday or I wouldn't have made the race. I can't forget Robert Guhde, who had to deal with the stewards with trying to keep track of the competitors and their issues. A huge thank you to all involved, truly enjoyed the weekend regardless of the final results. Once I get the car behaving better I look forward to racing with you again.

gary grubb
    vector GB-4

I had an awesome time at Nelson, thanks to everyone who helped me out throughout the weekend. Special thanks to Doug for lending me his spare fuel pump when I showed up with a busted one. I started out extremely cautious and gradually decreased my lap times as my confidence in the car grew. Hopefully I can retain some of what I learned and make some more progress at Waterford.

Here is the in car video of my Race 2 on Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRW8zw06vYo&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by fezzic181 View Post
    Things looked great from station 7 on Saturday. The passes at 12 on Sunday were great. Really love the slip angles these cars can reach while turning. Was great to see all the cars back out each session even when they left the track the previous session broken in some form.

Now back to gathering parts till I have a whole car

I only came back to the paddock 3 times on a hook and once on a rope and all from some place very close to 12 so I am sure there are some parts out there for your project. That was one battery failure, two leading arm failures, two brake lines, and one tie rod failure.

The new car had just a few more teething pains than I had hoped for. But once again the FST community proved how great it is to keep me running. I think just about everyone in the FST world helped in some way but I really need to thank all the RGU folks especially Matt and his laser alignment eye as he realigned my car more times than I can remember over the weekend as the Acer-J kept breaking parts. I really need to thank Randy and Tim for letting me use the Gomez Adams leading arms that I promptly destroyed in exciting fashion in 12. I fell extremely bad about killing the Gomez parts. My thanks goes to Bill for welding my original broken leading arm back together to get me on the track once again, and my biggest thanks also goes to Bill as they did not break like the previous two. I really was expecting another big snap and a wild ride but Bill’s welds proved to be excellent!. I also owe a big debt to Rob, Ted, and Rick that spent each gap in our track time replacing something major on the car. Unfortunately I decided I had to sit out the Sunday race as my transmission was hemorrhaging oil very rapidly from the side plate due to the abuse of the two broken leading arms caused that I would have been an oil hazard to the rest of the field.

Now I just have a shifter that needs relocated and a transmission to remove and repair and then get it all bolted back together again for Waterford. Jim already has me squared away with parts so all should be well.
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information