Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default Mosport BEMC Rounds 1-3

Over a dozen F1200 cars out for the Friday test day. Cool but clear weather forcast. Looks like a great weekend to be racing Vee at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

McMurray wins 1 & 2, Bamford the final. Iamundi and Wang were other podium finishers. Things are good when we're disappointed with only 16 car turn-out.

Great start to the season!

Liked: 0

Good opening weekend, no full course yellows and great weather!
    The racing up front was tight as always.

I will upload some video when I get some time.
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON
    aandrewwmc at hotmail dot com

Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by hojof1 View Post
    I will upload some video when I get some time.
    Hey Shane...can we get a sticky topic for video links?

Hey Kevin, what happened to you on the last lap in the sunday afternoon race?
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Liked: 36

As Bob Dylan sang "The Times they are a changing" Well done Andrew and Steve..... Great racing ,great weather, great new facility at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.All on Spec tires too

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    All on Spec tires too
    Not just spec tires ... Spec tires that wear so slowly we'll likely only be replacing them when they rot.

Just think how strong the class would be without the burden of those damn spec tires

The sub 1:42 laps that were run on saturday is the fastest i've ever seen at mosport on spec, did the yokohama ever get that low?

Actually the tires keep getting better with age like a fine wine it seems.

super consistent right from the green to checkers.
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Mike McCarthy did 1.42 flat on Yokos in 88. Jesse Mason and I did 41s in 2000 on Kuhmos.

Falken: Incredible performance and wear for a $75 tire!
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.07.12 at 4:46 PM.

Liked: 18

Hey Kevin, what happened to you on the last lap in the sunday afternoon race?
    Plain messed up T3. I was thinking about the setup for T4 (to catch Noel), when I should have been focused on the task at hand. Went nose first into the tires...seems a tie rod is the only damage (and my ego).

Liked: 105

Great racing by everyone, times are faster all around! I know for me it was the first 1:44's. Changing from Diapers to Depends!

Great fun everyone.

As for the spec tire, looks like they are getting better with age!!

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

As Bob Dylan sang "The Times they are a changing" Well done Andrew and Steve..... Great racing ,great weather, great new facility at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.All on Spec tires too
    I think it was a great start for most guys this season.

Andrew M had two wins in the first two races & Michael ran strong all weekend up until the last few laps of the final race due to mechanical issues. Phil was out front often & when he wasn't he was charging to the front. Todd was a step up over his rookie season & was hanging or setting fastest laps catching the lead group. Andrew W was driving hard but seemed down on power & was making up for his lower top speed with some fast cornering ability, hopefully the AVR guys can resolve his engine issues. Kevin K was right up with hanging onto the lead guys or just a second or so back the whole weekend. Steve Legate missing the Saturday had good results Sunday battling mid pack all day with Bill M, Noel & Kevin D from what I understand.

Noel & Dave Taylor both battled mechanical issues throughout the weekend, otherwise we would have seen better results out of both of them.

Lots of new paint jobs & new or upgraded cars including Kevin D's nice new Womer, Noel & Dave's new super clean & slick Silver Bullet bodies. Michaels car has a new paint job as well as Frank's car that looks really clean as well.

Great to have Andrew M running the whole season as he showed last year he is always up front when he makes an appearance.

The racing was pretty clean, a saw a few questionable moves but most guys were smart enough to have respect for one another.
    Steve Bamford

I had my first racing with someone at last!!!(Matt Garwood)for the whole race,he passed me at 5B and I "DRAFTED" him on the straight and passed him back,then he got me again at 5B on the LAST lap and I was just about to draft/pass him again and the yellow flag came out for Bill Mitchells car so I couldnt pass.Having a rebuilt AUTOWERKS engine now is great,but the nerve is still missing,but getting faster slowly..just wish I was 20 years younger cos at 64 I am a MASTER CLASS.Talking of tires..Im on my 3rd season with mine(Being slow has some advantages wear is minimal)

i spent most of friday familiarizing myself with the new paint jobs....i got too used to the old colors and then they go and change them!
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Its all part of the master plan Andrew............by the way hojo,we stay in Bowmanville at the hojo

If anyone puts a video on you-tube or Vimeo of the w/end let us all know.

Some excellent pictures from Richard Coburn from this weekend past....

http://coburnphotographyca.smugmug.c...6495&k=mdsssWg

Great photos..Andrew Waring looks awfully close to the limit with his roll-bar,I was like that in 2010 and got mine raised 4" from the rails up with a new hoop.

After looking at those pics, my compliments to all those fathers, brothers, friends, and crew members on the fine presentation of cars. It is an accomplishment to have 16 entries, but there was not a "ratty ol'Vee" in the bunch. The level of driving, sportsmanship, and respect, shown on the track and in the paddock was excellent as well. Keep up the good work!

http://youtu.be/1U0-txumhFY

Last lap of race one...I decided to play nice & bring my car back in one piece & not be as aggressive as others. Didn't realize there was room to go three wide, I guess the end result is you can't make that stick without bouncing off someone else. Glad there was no issues from this.
    Steve Bamford

3 wide in 5????

Seeing as some drivers will break the 1:42 barrier? Does anyone know what times were being done on slicks in vee's at mosport?

Just curious..

Really good slick-shod FVs have raced in the 39-40s with occasional qualifying times in the 37s and 38s. I have never done a 37 but I know a 38 is a wild ride! Most of the extra speed comes in 3, 9, and 10 where you can be much more aggressive and carry much more entry speed.

randy smith and gary kittell showed up for an scca event a couple years back and were the only 2 vee's on the track, working together i think they were consistently 38's
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    http://youtu.be/1U0-txumhFY

Last lap of race one...I decided to play nice & bring my car back in one piece & not be as aggressive as others. Didn't realize there was room to go three wide, I guess the end result is you can't make that stick without bouncing off someone else. Glad there was no issues from this.

yeah thats kind of a tough spot to be in, i was in something similar during a race at calabogie only it was the first lap and we got bumped and all 3 of us spun due to a little over agression on the inside guy. we drove away, but still.
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

yeah thats kind of a tough spot to be in, i was in something similar during a race at calabogie only it was the first lap and we got bumped and all 3 of us spun due to a little over agression on the inside guy. we drove away, but still.
    Starting mid pack, I let a few push by me on the starts knowing I was more interested in making threw turn one & two then worrying about what position I was in. As long as you keep in the draft of the front group there is no sense to me causing an accident in the first few corners.

This move on the last lap I could have protected my line but I also could have been bumped into Andrew doing it which I wasnt interesting in. I must be getting melow in my old age. The one thing I wasn't counting on was the yellow down the back straight on the last lap which screwed my drafting plan.
    Steve Bamford

Quote Originally Posted by nbrigido View Post
    3 wide in 5????
    There is not room for three. Going two wide is stupid as the passing car will get repassed in the draft ..... and by going two wide .... the cars in front are gone and the ones behind will draft by as well. The only way that move works, is by making enough contact that everyone behind has to get on the brakes, and you get away.

Very aggressive for race 1 of an 18 race season.

judging at the pace steve and spencer had all weekend, (andrewW said he could hang but not move up on the straight) had spencer stayed in tow with Steve, its possible they could have made a run at the front 3 cars there and had a higher result than 4th and 5th.

however it was race 1...
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

That was my plan however the two guys with me had other ideas & I wasn't interested in playing. I knew Andrew W was down on straightline power & could draft him easily. The move caused us to lose the first group & Todd was lucky the yellow was there as I had to back out of my pass on him down the back straight or he would have been behind me after that move anyways.

My car survived to run again...funny thing is in the next race Todd lost his breaks & nailed me in 5 causing me to lose the front groups draft again & I was left driving around by myself a second or so a lap off the leaders pace without the availability of the draft.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 200

Race weekend recap:
    http://formula1200.com/racing-news/q...a-1200-season/
    Full points to come in a couple of days

Great photos..Andrew Waring looks awfully close to the limit with his roll-bar,I was like that in 2010 and got mine raised 4" from the rails up with a new hoop.
    Frank, you are right and we noticed as well. This was taken on Saturday I believe. We ended up modifiying the pedals and squished him down into the car. We did the rollbar test and passed no problems. Seems the young fellow failed to mention to us that he grew an inch over the off season! Also remember, the front rollbar is much further forward than the bodywork is, so it's a little deceiving.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Thread Information