Liked: 29

Default New Engines For Old Super Vee's

I recently had an interesting dialogue with www.eurospecsport.com about the possibility of installing a new watercooled vw in my March 83V Super Vee. They can build a new engine, with new webers, electromotive ignition, complete with drysump for approx $8k. These newer generation engines will bolt right in, as the VW blocks are the same dimensions, as the old Rabbit engines that our cars are designed around. You can use your existing exhaust headers, intake, drysump tank, starter etc. They suggested that these engines should easily go several thousand miles between rebuilds. While these engines wouldn't be period correct (they look the same externally) it gives owners of Super Vees and intriguing option. Below is a pic of my March (listed for sale in Apexspeed classifieds).

Jim Gustafson
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 08.31.12 at 1:17 PM.

Liked: 0

Would these be 1600, or 2.0L? No-crossflow head? SV spec cam, or milder, which I think it must be to get the longevity, (lower revs). Sounds interesting at that price. I have a few back-up engines, but every time something breaks, it takes the semi-impossible to find oil pump housings, sump pans, jackshaft, etc. with it. I'd like to hear more.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gustafson View Post
    I recently had an interesting dialogue with www.eurospecsport.com about the possibility of installing a new watercooled vw in my March 83V Super Vee. They can build a new engine, with new webers, electromotive ignition, complete with drysump for approx $8k. These newer generation engines will bolt right in, as the VW blocks are the same dimensions, as the old Rabbit engines that our cars are designed around. You can use your existing exhaust headers, intake, drysump tank, starter etc. They suggested that these engines should easily go several thousand miles between rebuilds. While these engines wouldn't be period correct (they look the same externally) it gives owners of Super Vees and intriguing option.

Jim Gustafson
    Jim, others have been making this swap for a few years, myself included (about 10 yrs ago). The newer crossflow head is also a good improvement. These converted SV's can be run in the SCCA Formula S class, don't know about vintage. However, I'm happy with my Suzuki Hayabusa engine which comes factory stock with around 200 HP and can be purchased with very low mileage for $3500 everyday, including the 6 spd transmission & all accesories to make it run. Dry sump it for $2500 & it's practcally bullet proof. Lighter & faster also.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

It's my understanding that the Eurospec head is listed in the GCR as an approved head for SCCA racing. The engine I received a proposal for would be 2.0L, head (same layout as the old Rabitt), hydralic lifters, around 12:1, approx. 210 hp. Larger displacement, lower revs, greatly increased time between rebuilds. This engine could be run in SCCA FS, and I think any of the vintage groups will find a class or group to put you in, as it seems they will take everybody they can get.

Jim Gustafson
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 08.31.12 at 1:17 PM.

Liked: 601

Default SV engine

Jim,
    The old Super-Vee 1600 engines, did not have a cross-flow head.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Jim,
    The old Super-Vee 1600 engines, did not have a cross-flow head.
    Thanks for that Keith, a senior moment. I had my Swift/Toyota on my mind. The engine I am considering is NOT a crossflow head. I like the idea of being able to use the same exhaust/intake as was used on my March.

Jim Gustafson

Liked: 2

Default Super vee engines

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gustafson View Post
    I recently had an interesting dialogue with www.eurospecsport.com about the possibility of installing a new watercooled vw in my March 83V Super Vee. They can build a new engine, with new webers, electromotive ignition, complete with drysump for approx $8k. These newer generation engines will bolt right in, as the VW blocks are the same dimensions, as the old Rabbit engines that our cars are designed around. You can use your existing exhaust headers, intake, drysump tank, starter etc. They suggested that these engines should easily go several thousand miles between rebuilds. While these engines wouldn't be period correct (they look the same externally) it gives owners of Super Vees and intriguing option. Below is a pic of my March (listed for sale in Apexspeed classifieds).

Jim Gustafson
    Interesting, just FYI, we have made the dry sumps for Betitl for 25 years, and still make them as needed. Gary Armstrong. Www.drysump.com

Thread Information