Liked: 2

Default Chain floppage and frottage ---

-- especially the frottage. I have about a tenth of an inch of lateral clearence between the chain/sprocket and a mount surface when the chain is pushed to its max (laterally in the sprocket) in the direction of this ugly place of little clearance. Question is... do these chain-drive sprockets flex under load? If they do, I'm gonna have frottage in the cottage. A perverse thing that no one should allow...

Ah, Jeeze, Hewlands are so totally cool...

Thanks,

Chris

Liked: 11

They move a lot more than you think. . I need to find a video for you...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Frottage. Nice wordage.

Liked: 11
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Saw the vid!

And thanks. But what about lateral movement... anyone know what to expect?

Hewlands ARE COOL.

Frottage IS a good word.

Liked: 27

There shouldn't be any flex if you are using quality sprockets. I used to dyno my drag bike a lot and learned where to put a tensioner shoe. Chains move a LOT but never had sprocket trouble. I did have to run an outboard brg on the front sprocket to control shaft flex.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 43

I think you will probably be OK with .100" lateral clearance. Hopfully your tight spot is near a sprocket that may act as a limiter for lateral displacement. A picture may help us help you on this issue.

Default Thanks, guys ---

Sounds like we'll be okay. The close spot is on the very outer edge of the sprocket; nothing is near the chain's run between the sprockets. So maybe we'll get by with it.

Again thanks. First time with chains other than on a Schwinn...

Liked: 273

Chris
    If its only .1" away from the path of the chain IT WILL RUB; ask me how I know.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Chris:

It is very doubtful that the sprocket will move, wobble or vibrate unless it is not secured or bolted down properly. A new chain however will stretch during sessions on the track.

On the F1K.07 built by Phoenix race works, the chain had tension rods for adjustments and was very easy to adjust. On the Phoenix the chain however came extremely close to a portion of the tube frame. I checked the tension of the chain on a regular basis, and even though the chain drive was very close to the tube frame, it never caused any damage. Be sure to check chain tension regularly and make adjustments. A broken chain can cause lots of damage to other parts and possibly the motor. I have attached a few photos of the chain running close to the tube from on the bottom of the chain loop, and the adjustments that made tightening or loosening the chain so easy.

If the clearence is only .1 " be prepared for some rubbing of parts from the chains movement. Perhaps you can find a way to increase the clearence of the chain drive.

Hope this info helps somewhat.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Default Thanks, Richard ---

Yeah, that looks like a close fit. Our tight spot is where the chain rides the sprocket. If the sprocket doesn't flex... well, I just hope the sprocket doesn't flex. Thanks for the photos and roger on staying on the tensioning.

Chris

Thread Information