Thread: newbie

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default newbie

I am starting to gather the equip to assemble a set up where I can review and practice on several tracks in my area. Rd Atlanta, Roebling Road,Charlotte, SCMP, Daytona Sebring etc. I have acquired the logitech g27 steering wheel and shifter assembly, a 6mb 300 hz computer and 42 inch screen. My question is do I need to subscribe to iracing to view and race on these tracks or is there another alternative? I'm open to any suggestions. I just want to run something similar to time trials with me being the only car on the track...

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    I am starting to gather the equip to assemble a set up where I can review and practice on several tracks in my area. Rd Atlanta, Roebling Road,Charlotte, SCMP, Daytona Sebring etc. I have acquired the logitech g27 steering wheel and shifter assembly, a 6mb 300 hz computer and 42 inch screen. My question is do I need to subscribe to iracing to view and race on these tracks or is there another alternative? I'm open to any suggestions. I just want to run something similar to time trials with me being the only car on the track...
    You will need to spend the monthly or annual fee on iracing but you won't find any other software that comes as close to real racing. I forget all the standard tracks(LRP and Laguna Seca are free0 but you will need to purchase Sebring($14.95), not sure about Roebling. Also, what kind of car do you want to drive? MX 5 cup Miata and F2000 Skip Barber with radials are amongst the free cars.

You can run solo like a time trial, run invisible in practice sessions or run a live practice or race. Your hardware is fine. Iracing is terrific!!

Liked: 0

For open wheelers, you should try rFactor. For tin tops, GTR2 is the best. No subscriptions, and way more content than iracing. Check Nogrip forums for content about both.

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dartguy View Post
    For open wheelers, you should try rFactor. For tin tops, GTR2 is the best. No subscriptions, and way more content than iracing. Check Nogrip forums for content about both.

I have tried neither of these sims but a look at content compared to iracing would be the deciding factor for me. If you wish to race SCCA, iracing would be the choice(was for me). Having real racing cars such as a MX5 cup miata, f2000 Skip Barber,spec racer ford, radical(dsports racer) and TDI Jetta makes a big difference. The othe issue is that neither of the other 2 products has any real road racing tracks in the USA(iracing has Road Atlanta, Larguna Seca, LRP,Road America,Mid ohio,sebring to list a few. All depends on what you want to do with a sim.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by flat tappet View Post
    I have tried neither of these sims but a look at content compared to iracing would be the deciding factor for me. If you wish to race SCCA, iracing would be the choice(was for me). Having real racing cars such as a MX5 cup miata, f2000 Skip Barber,spec racer ford, radical(dsports racer) and TDI Jetta makes a big difference. The othe issue is that neither of the other 2 products has any real road racing tracks in the USA(iracing has Road Atlanta, Larguna Seca, LRP,Road America,Mid ohio,sebring to list a few. All depends on what you want to do with a sim.
    There is way more content in both of them than iracing. And all those tracks are available for both (for free). Plus hundreds more. I'm not out to badmouth iracing, I have tried it, but I don't really like the rent-a-sim aspect of it. If I buy a sim or game, I want to own it forever. It does look a little better than both GTR2 and rFactor, but it doesn't feel as good as GTR2 to me. And GTR3 and rFactor2 will be out later this year. Anyone into racing should get both, even if they pay for iracing, just for the community content alone, not to mention the differences in physics.

Liked: 673

I recently signed up for iRacing, and bought VIR and Barber. I have not had a lot of time to play, but the problems I have found so far are 1] you can't gear the car to the track. 2] the Skippy 2000 car, most like my FF, will not let you use a 4 speed=H-pattern shifter, even if you have one [ the spec racer, which you don't have to pay extra for, does] 3] he steering doesn't seem the same as a real car, or consistent at high speed vs low speed. The last one is my biggest complaint, I guess, as it makes training that way of questionable value, but the inability to use the correct gears is also a big problem. I do not know if the others are any better, however..
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information