Liked: 0

Post Indy lights info

I'm looking for help on finding history of an indy lights car. I have original chassis no. and CART reg. no. , but thats about it. Does anyone know what happened to the CART records after its sale? I have a 1986 that was last a show car so paint is not original.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.

Default Champ car stats

Hi Scooter

I have an '83 Champ/Indy car and found this site to be useful. While I don't have any Champ stickers on my car, I have USAC stickers and found that the last numbers for the USAC sticker number was my car number, in my case 1605 #5 from the '83 season and 1768 #68 from the '84 season.

http://oldracingcars.info/usnc/

Liked: 23

Jeff Horton may have the records, or Roger Bailey.

Jeff is currently the Indy Racing League's Director of Engineering.

He's not on LinkedIn apparently, but others in my network should have contact info if you can't reach him through the office.

HTH.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
    I'm looking for help on finding history of an indy lights car. I have original chassis no. and CART reg. no. , but thats about it. Does anyone know what happened to the CART records after its sale? I have a 1986 that was last a show car so paint is not original.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Assuming that it's an 86C. 1st year for Lights, it might have later run in ARS.
    Chassis #?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport Services View Post
    Chassis #?
    It is an 86A, chassis #11. Thank you.

Liked: 27

I used to have #10 ! Btw, do you want a spare front upright for it? or a F. wheel ? Pops
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 6

I have Jeff's email. PM me and I'll send it to you. He prefers it's not made public

I have what I believe to be a very complete history of all Lola 97-20 chassis’ that competed in Indy Lights 1997 through 2001. Unfortunately I have no records prior to 1997 and I would be surprised if any such documentation was kept by ARS or CART.
    Should anyone need historical information about a specific 97-20 chassis, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
    Gary Donahoe

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

how many different chassis' were registered?

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    how many different chassis' were registered?
    Not necessarily an easy question to answer. Replacement tubs did not have their own chassis plate so when a tub was removed from service it was routine to move the chassis plate from one tub to another, some cars ran with no Lola chassis plate installed. When a new tub went through tech inspection for the first time a numbered non-removable CART ID sticker was affixed to the tub which was another way of chassis identification. Lola also imbedded a chip in each tub at time of construction that could be read by a special tool as a final means of identification.

My database shows 67 tubs.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

cool.....thanks

Liked: 1878

On the March chassis, chassis number/team info was not kept by us, ARS, or March other than a number recorded on the bill of sale. No consolidated list was ever made to the best of my knowledge.

Liked: 1878

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport Services View Post
    Chassis #?
    The "C" designation was for the Champ cars, not the Lights car.

Default looking for history on T97/20

[QUOTE=gdonahoe;345593]I have what I believe to be a very complete history of all Lola 97-20 chassis’ that competed in Indy Lights 1997 through 2001. Unfortunately I have no records prior to 1997 and I would be surprised if any such documentation was kept by ARS or CART.
    Should anyone need historical information about a specific 97-20 chassis, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
    Gary Donahoe[/QUOTE

Gary, please contact me at ciganor@aol.com. Thanks Jeff Kowalik

Just to illustrate how complicated this question is - My March 86-A 38 (Cart #353 - Chassis #1465) was built as a 1989 ARS Indy Light Buick Wildcat MK-II. It competed in ARS in 1990 (Rookie of the Year), 1991 (Winner: Cleveland & Laguna Seca, 2nd in Championship), and in 1992 (Winner: Vancouver). In it's three competitive years, it had 11 total podium finishes

So - basically -- a 1986 March F-3000 car was most likely built in 1988 on a 1985 Chassis, then sold in 1989 and shipped to the United States as an ARS car, which competed over the following three year period of 1990-1992.

March didn't really ever spend much effort to record these ARS cars as they were really just happy to be cleaning out the shop from all the extra parts before they went out of business. If you have a MK-II you at least have a chance to put some history back on your car though, as just a few were built and raced. If you have an MK-1 you have a big job ahead of you. At least you have a few numbers left in your cockpit that will be your only chance to figure it out. USAC and ARS didn't think the records were important enough to keep it seems, but the teams themselves often kept really good records of chassis #'s that ran on race day as well as on test days. Even the drivers themselves seem to have kept some records that often include chassis numbers. You might be surprised how willing to help some of these guys are when they know you are trying to restore the history on your car.

Andy at marcharchives.com is a private car collector who maintains a database that attempts to work out the original chassis numbers. The fact that yours is listed in your car as #11 would make me think that it was one of the first 11 86A ARS Wildcats that March built on the 85-B frame. I would guess that yours is actually March Chassis # 2010 and is an MK-1, and that might be a good place to start. Get ahold of Andy at
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Marchives.com[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]935-A Cobb Place Blvd.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Kennesaw, GA 30144[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]FAX: 770-423-7279[/SIZE][/FONT]

Wow - even I'm comfussed after writting all this mess....... lol ....
    Wishing you a great adventure in your search !!

Robert Joki

Robert, thanks for the info. I dont know if I'll ever find out who drove this car but I'll keep trying.

Thanks again, Scooter.

Liked: 2

Default For Gary

Gary,
    i sent you a PM re T97/20 info.

Thread Information