Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    I have always heard that the key to a fast lap at Blackhawk is first figuring out where turn 2 is.
    This thread has now gone full circle:
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...4&postcount=43

I find if you dont even consider the fact that turn 2 doesn't exist you can really zip out a quick lap.
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Liked: 20

Default BHF Track Repairs

Photos of the Turn 1 and Turn 7 repairs are posted on BHF's website.

http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/

All is takes is just a few buckets of black paint and she's good as new....

I wonder what Tom is thinking in the photo?

Ethan

Liked: 3

Good luck guys at BHF. Its going to be a hot one! One car sold and one more to go on my end!

Andrew

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    Good luck guys at BHF. Its going to be a hot one! One car sold and one more to go on my end!

Andrew
    good to hear you sold one of them, bad to realize you won't be racing with us anymore

good luck andrew - and go fast!

Liked: 3

good to hear you sold one of them, bad to realize you won't be racing with us anymore

good luck andrew - and go fast!

Would love to race with ya guys but I just don't have the drive and desire to travel anymore. This makes my 20th year of racing under my belt and I just want to stay close to home and not burn my vacation anymore to go racing. Id rather burn vacation days laying on the beach in Mexico or the like..........circle track cars are calling my name. We have it narrowed down to a lightning Sprint car or asphalt late model.
    Andrew

Default Old Tech Building

I rented the old tech building for the weekend. There is room for 2 FF, give me mess if you want to split trhoades12@yahoo.com $25.00 a day/$50.00 weekend

Liked: 39

Default Interesting turnout for the Firecracker

As of 5 pm Thursday, 57 entries, 18 of which are open wheel. Very impressive. No F5 or FST. As originally scheduled Group 4 had 11 classes, but only one guy signed up so he gets to run his FA with us. Interesting.
    See you tomorrow.
    Chuck Smith

Wow, low turnout.
    For G-Man National we have 159 entries. 25 in group 3 - FV, F500, FF. Only 5 FF's. Unless some ringers show up and register Saturday. Double National. Temperatures about 9-10F lower along the eastern lake shore, meaning low to mid 90s.

Hey Allen,John would like to know who the 5 FF drivers are? Would have been nice to go, but things came up.

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by chipsjrs2 View Post
    Hey Allen,John would like to know who the 5 FF drivers are? Would have been nice to go, but things came up.
    I'd guess-

Russ Rude-ih-sell-eeeee(hardest name to spell ever!)
    Allan Wheatcrackers
    Mark Davison
    Mike Koltoff
    Jacob Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I'd guess-

Russ Rude-ih-sell-eeeee(hardest name to spell ever!)
    Allan Wheatcrackers
    Mark Davison
    Mike Koltoff
    Jacob Carpenter
    We only got four, the first four on this list. Except is is Wheatkrackers with a k. Dennis Baran (?) was smart and didn't show up. We tested yesterday afternoon with air temp at 103F. I am slower by far than last year. Not sure what is up, just driving like crap. Time to go study video and data and kick my own butt.

Have fun at Blackhawks guys, we have a cold front today, 98F for morning qualifying. Or so.

Liked: 1432

We tested yesterday afternoon with air temp at 103F. I am slower by far than last year. Not sure what is up
    Dude...It's 103*!!!!!...that's what's up
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 07.07.12 at 12:28 PM.

Didn't get to BHF. Temp is still in the 100's here. Just to hot. Afraid the car would overheat too quickly, and John too.... But as hot as it is there, don't expect to much. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Here is an in-car video of the start of Saturday's race FF/500/FV race at G-man (don't worry, it is just 2 minutes long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPi2q...ature=youtu.be

Liked: 8

OH NO!

That sucks. Sorry to see that.

Without knowing much else (but the video says it all), I say: WHAT AN IDIOT.
    What was the F5 thinking? He could drive over the dirt and make the turn? Its a race car with slicks, not some hilljack dirt track car.

Egad.

-Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post
    OH NO!

That sucks. Sorry to see that.

Without knowing much else (but the video says it all), I say: WHAT AN IDIOT.
    What was the F5 thinking? He could drive over the dirt and make the turn? Its a race car with slicks, not some hilljack dirt track car.

Egad.

-Mike
    Oh well, I do a lot of races, so . . . still, that was not exactly well conceived on his part. I mean, it was impressive as heck until . . . he ran out of ideas, talent, and track.

So? Blackhawk results?

At G-Man it was Ruedisueli and Ruedisueli and then some. As was remarked in the paddock, "Russell seems to have this place really figured out." I wish I could tell you how he did this - but I really only caught a glimpse of him.

Now: Blackhawk!?!?!?!

Default Gman

John said... "yes he remembered last year". Sad about the F5. What was he thinking? Did you get video on Sunday's race??

Liked: 9

Default BFR results

Sat. CFF

Kingham
    Tipsword
    Quiniff
    Smith
    Harmison

FF

Mackey
    Barkley
    Murray
    Foster
    Rhoades

Sunday CFF

Kingham
    Harmison
    Tipsword
    Quiniff
    Smith

FF

Grooms
    Mackey
    Foster
    Murray
    Rhoades
    Barkley - DNF (I believe his tailpipe wanted to check out corner 7 longer than the rest of the car)
    Currently Without Car

Default BFR Results - Sunday

Sunday in FF, Todd Rhoades took 2nd place by a wide margin and then elected to skip impound to avoid taking any points away from the regional guys. What a nice guy and that Mygale of his is a work of art!

Allen - Sorry to see that footage of the F500 incident. It looked like there was nowhere for you to go.

Brad - All the FF guys at BHF were bummed that we didn't get to race with you. I guess we'll just continue to let the excitement build for the next time we get to see you on track. The Chicken Race at RA maybe?

It was a fun, but damn hot weekend at BHF.

Ethan

Liked: 35

Brad: So what's the story on your motor? Also what happened to Vlassis? Be advised that Rhoades actually was second on Sunday but passed on Impound both days so not to take away Regional points. He started from back Saturday after driving to Pegasus to pick up a new helmet. Grooms was untouchable in beautiful DB-1 Sunday on a track best suited to softly sprung CFFs. Kingham and Harmison were driving the wheels off their cars. Turns 1 and 7 were pretty rough and it was a wee bit warm on Saturday.

Liked: 42

Default racin

Too bad Allen, I think you made a good decision to hit him, rather than try to avoid on the right and collect everybody over there also..........

RE: Blackhawk, So, Dave, what happened Sat to you?
    and re: Sunday, has Phil still got your number at BFR ?
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Quote Originally Posted by fubar View Post
    Brad: So what's the story on your motor?
    Not sure until it comes apart, but it was tightening up pretty badly on lap 2 of the test day. I asked Grooms if I could rent his car for the day...he did say yes, but I doubt I could have afforded the rental fee. I would have given about anything to be out there. I've had some good fortune since I've been racing... I guess things are getting back into balance now.
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 13

Default Oops!

I just read about Todd pulling off and passing on impound. I certainly would have been glad to do the same had I realized it was an option. When I came off the track there was an SCCA worker standing there holding the IMPOUND sign and I didn't think about my options. No hard feelings I hope.

The race at Blackhawk was a lot of fun. 10 FF's and 4 DB-1's including mine was enough to attract me. Late entry took about 10 minutes. Tech took about 2 and we were ready to go. It would be great if we could select some "showcase" races next year and try to get some big fields. From my perspective I also think it would be great if we could all agree on a nice hard tire to run. I didn't see any sticker tires at BHF last weekend and I don't think that changed the racing at all.

John

Default Congratulations

No hard feelings at all John. I couldn't see from where I was at in the field, but I heard that you checked out and drove a really nice race. Congratulations on your win, you really deserved it!

Ethan
    Last edited by emackey; 07.09.12 at 2:43 PM. Reason: typo

I felt like a dummy. I did not make myself aware of the 2012 helmet rule and failed tech. Drove to Pegasus and purchased new helmet. I was able to start race from the back of the field. The chief Stewart (Bob) don't remember his last name was a awesome guy. Great group of open wheels guy's...hot but fun weekend...Todd
    Last edited by Trhoades; 07.09.12 at 10:13 PM.

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ellingson View Post
    Sat. CFF

Barkley - DNF (I believe his tailpipe wanted to check out corner 7 longer than the rest of the car)
    I was already heading to the pits when the tailpipe broke off right as I went thru the T7 apex.

Pretty disappointing. The car was so good on Sat, well until it started overheating half way thru the race anyway, and then I had electrical issues on Sunday. That's racin'.

I've never had a t-stat in this car, took the advice of many of you, it needs some flow restriction. Borrowed some aluminum and specialized cutting tools from Alan Murray late Saturday, (thanks Alan) and made a restritor plate for the water outlet. Sun morning Qual it stayed right at 190. Of course, it was cooler, but appeared to have helped, as previously it would creep up over a 17-18 lap run at BHF. Just before heading onto the track, I detected an erratic (electric) tach. Drove it as best I could with an engine that didn't want to pull well, except from 6500 -7000! Not producing full power also kept it cooler of course, so we'll see about that fix. After the session, I found the coil wire had pulled out of the distributor. voila! Easy fix. Started it, everything fine. Or so I thought. Even put on my better tires. Then just after they give the 2 minute warning and my umbrella "girl" leaves me, I notice the tach start doing the funky chicken again. It had been fine until just now. Warm up lap seemed fine, but as soon as the flag dropped I knew it was over, just tried to go fast enough to not screw up everyone behind, and get out of the way. Then as I slowly go thru 7 right next to the curbing, I see something in the mirror, looked like my tailpipe flying off, and it was.

Had fun running with Kingham for 9 laps on Saturday though. Given the mix of FA, FC, FF, CFF, and FV, I thought everyone did a great job, no incidents at all. And like Ethan said, no problem John. I enjoyed watching you from the sidelines. All of you actually. I guess the only good thing was that I didn't miss out on chasing Brad. Hope your engine isn't too bad, and you'll get out again this year.

So, now it's get out the meter and check out the electricals, and go to Midas.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by mblanc View Post
    Too bad Allen, I think you made a good decision to hit him, rather than try to avoid on the right and collect everybody over there also..........
    Marc,

Yes, it was a reaction more than a decision, but made knowing that other 500 was alongside me. After I broke the suspension I kept thinking I needed to keep the broken 500 between me and traffic . . .

Nick had the thing ready to race 2+ hours later. As usual. I am one lucky racer in that regard.

Allen

Liked: 35

Ref BFR- Todd, the car looked and ran so good you don't have to worry about helmet specs. Bob Lybarger was chief steward and hope his health improves. Always was and is a great guy. John, didn't get to see you after the great race but congratulations and don't worry about the regional points stuff. I was running Hoosier 35A's new at BIR with 6 heat cycles at race time and narrow fronts. Mackey's 35A (wide fronts) had to have about twice that number of cycles while Todd was on GY160's I believe. Would like to have your input on the 45 compound through the race. I started to lose a little grip in back around mid race but the track might have been getting a little more greasy. Ethan said he had turn in understeer and loose at exits especially the bumpy turns 1 and 7. CFFs seemed to be going great on the 60 compound. Maybe the 45's would be a good spec tire for all of us?

Allen, sorry about the tough start. You have to watch out for those off-road F500s. Should have stayed at the Farms! Good luck to all CAT racers.

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    Hope your engine isn't too bad, and you'll get out again this year.
    We'll see. I was secretly hoping that one of you would say the heat was just too unbearable and offer up your car. Hey...a guy can dream....cut me some slack...I had a rough weekend.
    Currently Without Car

Default Showcase

I do like John's idea. Maybe time to revive an EWC-esque series within the Division? The Hard Tire Challenge? I have to think there are a few FF and CFF cars out there that are just itching to hit the track. Speaking of...why arent people coming out? Economy? Weather? Schedule? I know the regions took a beating this past weekend...
    Currently Without Car

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default Firecracker

I really enjoy coming to Blackhawk to run with you Cen-Div guys. The car count is as good as anywhere, everyone is super-nice, and my car likes the track. It would have been nice if the thermostat could have been set a little lower for Saturday, though!

The first few laps on Sunday, I kept John Grooms in sight and I thought I might be able to hang with him, but I was just kidding myself. It was fun trying, though.

I agree with finding ways to focus the FF/CFF cars on specific events rather than scattering our entries around. To me, that was the biggest benefit of the EWC. I can only justify one or two events at Blackhawk or Road America since Gingerman, Grattan, and Mid-Ohio are so much closer for me, but I'd definitely make the drive for bigger car counts.

Phil Kingham

Default F1600 Tires

In response to the question about F1600 pro series tires. My car had well used F1600 tires but it sounds like they were the lowest time tires in the event. The car was balanced and consistent through the entire race.

Although the F1600 series tires are good I do think they fall of considerably after about 5 heat cycles. My feeling is that something harder would be better. I believe they are using F1600 tires at some west coast regionals as spec tires. Perhaps Tim or someone else from CA could weigh in.

John

I am willing to help coordinate such an event or events, but there has to be some serious commitment from drivers. Personally, I would want our own run group, but the powers that be certainly wouldn't agree unless we can show numbers. Love to see us have enough of a commitment to run one event at each CenDiv track. I know that would exclude some of the GL folks (sorry PK but I am guessing a trip to Brainerd would be out for you??). I really enjoy all the tracks we have here in the division....yes, even Milwaukee. On that...why won't you people show up for Milwaukee???

So...2013 Hard Tire Challenge??? One event at each of the CenDiv tracks...suggestions??? Who's in???
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 23

Brad:

Reach out to me if you want any info on when I tried to do the same with the showcase nationals in 2010.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    ...... My car had well used F1600 tires but it sounds like they were the lowest time tires in the event.....

John
    Actually, I had 4 cycle R35's tires on to start Qual Sat morning, ran those in the Race, and then Sun Qual, then switched to 2 cylce R35's for the Sun race. Made no difference tho, given the electrical and exhaust issues. The first set with 7 cycles held up fine thru the Qual on Sunday, just switched to manage the life for the remainder of the season. And I believe this is the first year I've ever had two new sets. Not that I didn't need them before. $$$

I like the idea a a series with a "spec" tire that lasts longer. What would happen if we ran R60's? Seems those hold up pretty well. ??? Opinions? I'm thinking anything to keep the cost down should help increase participation.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Would people be ok with buying a new set of R60's or whatever the Goodyear equivalent is at the beginning of the season and then commit to running them throughout the season? What to do about the mid-season puncture?
    Currently Without Car

Default Spec Tire

I think the idea would be that we would choose a harder tire that would fall off less and that would be it. If you wanted to put new R-60's on for every sesion you could but at least you wouldn't have to worry about a guy showing up with new R-25s every weekend. The next thing we would have to fight about is tire size. I think it saves money if we all agree to run fronts on the front and rears on the rear.

Hopefully we could agree to run the same tires for FF and CFF.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    I think the idea would be that we would choose a harder tire that would fall off less and that would be it. If you wanted to put new R-60's on for every sesion you could but at least you wouldn't have to worry about a guy showing up with new R-25s every weekend. The next thing we would have to fight about is tire size. I think it saves money if we all agree to run fronts on the front and rears on the rear.

Hopefully we could agree to run the same tires for FF and CFF.
    Judging from my experience this weekend - temps high 90s to low 100s - you would want the idiot named Allen showing up with new R-25s on such weekends. Slippery in corners, sticky on straights is what they felt like. Sort of as though I was running fronts on the rear and rears on the front.

From the sounds of it, you guys had a lot of fun at Blackhawk. Congrats to Ethan, John, and Phil.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default R60s

I really like the R60 Hoosiers. Last weekend, I put on heat cycles 7 - 10 with no drop-off in performance. In fact, a couple years ago, I got the CFF track record on the 16th heat cycle (corded one the next session, though). I generally consider them to be good for 12 heat-cycles and often run them to 16 or a few more. At that point, I'm about 1 second quicker when I switch to stickers, though it is noticably easier to drive with the new tires.

Phil

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information