F1000champ

Default Formula 1000 Championship Series

Formula 1000 Championship Series

The lowest cost professional open-wheel Championship in existence with the highest technically advanced race cars at this level of the sport. Budgets well under $100,000.

• Non-spec Formula cars that border on performance of Formula Atlantic or Formula 3
    • 12,000 rpm engines with paddle shifters
    • High-profile events with NASCAR, IndyCar & American Lemans
    • Large per-race Prize Purse, ability to win more than it costs you to race
    • Large fields of strong competition
    • Healthy Year-end Prize Purse and Championship Bonuses
    • All races webcast worldwide
    • Advancement to the upper levels of motorsport without spending a ton of money
    • Sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing

Visit: www.F1000.co for more information or contact us at 239-214-2649.

Liked: 9

Default Real Value

Jon, Certainly wish you the best with the new series. There is no doubt that that a new successful series is a rising tide for all racers.

Not sure that you can claim the lowest cost open wheel professional series just yet. I can tell you that from my experience a full 14 race 7 weekend schedule in the F2000 Championship Series has been exceedingly and surprisingly affordable as costs go in this sport. We can all choose to spend whatever we wish, but the value of our experience has been excellent and the per race cost for 7 weekends is less than any other similar series we have competed in. Sealed engines and strict tire rules keep things in check.

We race on some of the best tracks in existence. A rare mix of young up-and-coming drivers like Victor Carbone who has found success in Indy Lights and highly experienced veterans who can still drive the hell out of a car and show the youngsters a thing or two about race craft.

We draw 60+ cars most weekends in the two separate F1600 and F2000 series. We will draw even more this year as we add Atlantics for the first time. Our track time is measured in hours not minutes between practice, qualifying and races at each track. We have chosen to develop a solid, competitive series that runs like an expensive watch and is run by a group of experienced professionals who love the sport in addition to being officials. The 'product' I believe is second to none. I think the visibility of the series is about to increase dramatically now that we have a proven, successful and growing organization.

Again, I wish you the best with the F1000 Series. Starting in Mosport is a real challenge - get that paperwork in order.

Good Luck!

Rick Paul
    SMR Racing

F1000champ

Rick,

You are correct in the the F1600 and F2000 series are very cost effective and have large fields with excellent track time. Those series are excellent and very well run. I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

The cost of running in the F1600 series is probably around the same as the F1000 Championship with the F2000 being a little higher. And, you've got a few more races as well. We even cap our fields at 26 cars, which means if we ever get more than that you'll have to qualify to get into the race.

By what I'm referring to by the most cost effective Pro Series is those series that offer a significant prize purse, large high-profile spectator events with NASCAR, Indycar & ALMS and also offer webcasts of all races.

By looking at our entry list for Mosport, I would have to say that we've also got a pretty strong depth of talent with several national champions, race winners, and a mixture of young up and coming drivers and seasoned veterans.

Mike Rand has done a tremendous job with his series and I wish him all the best. And the addition of the Memorial Day event at Lime Rock this year is a great event for the Series. There is a place for both of our series and I believe both can thrive. I don't look at Mike's and our series in competition with each other. Each has its own principles in the way they are run. We run different cars than each other and our races are run differently as well (standing starts, etc.)

The F1600 and F2000 series put an emphasis on track time, and you get a lot in those series. The tracks are all the highest quality in North America. And, the fields are huge. Very well run series and yes, very cost effective.

The F1000 Championship does not have as much track time, but most of our events are at high profile venues and like the other series in which we run on weekends, we have set schedules with several series running on the same weekend. Again, also at some of the highest quality tracks in North America. Our prize purse is generous in that you could potentially win more than it costs you to race. And our webcasts and live timing & scoring means that anyone, anywhere in the world can follow the action. We also have a strict tire rule and stock engine rule that keeps costs in check.

Its a different principle, but each has its own merit

Thank you for your well wishes.
    Last edited by F1000champ; 03.18.12 at 11:09 AM.

Liked: 9

Thanks, Jon. I agree there is more than enough room for both series and what we are doing is a variation on the same theme. Coming up from karts, champ karts, mini-sprints, sprint cars and midgets every series we have run has tried to make the 'value vs cost' argument work. The Holy Grail has always been the 'possibility' of winning more than it costs. Even at the highest levels of our sport it is clear that it is a difficult equation to make work. The 'start and parker's' in Nascar and the underfunded/unsponsored cars in the IRL is a case in point.

If any of us can offer the real possibility of breaking even or making a profit in this game we will be successful beyond imagination. That possibility is part of what keeps us all racing. That and the pure excitement of doing it.

Again, best of luck. We're all looking forward to 2012 and great racing at great racetracks...

Rick

F1000champ

Rick,

Again you are right. When I formed this Championship, I based it on 5 principles:

1. Costs under $100,000
    2. Ability to win more than it costs to race
    3. High-profile spectator events with major series
    4. Webcast or TV exposure
    5. Non-spec Series with advanced technology

Of course you'd have to set pole and win both races in a weekend to probably reach #2, but its a possibility.

I couldn't have put it all together without the support of all our sponsors and supporters. Our events are run like a junior version of Formula 1 with standing starts, pre-grid ceremonies, etc. Our Champagne trophies are 3 liter jeroboams, our webcasts are being produced in a 'reality show' style format that will be entertaining to the general public, the cars look and sound great with 12,000 rpm engines, paddle shifters, etc., and it shouldn't cost you much more than it would cost to run a double national weekend. Keeping all our events on the eastern half of North America helps to keep the cost of travel down. Having only 5 big events (10 races) also keeps the cost down.

I don't think that racing at this level should cost upwards of a quarter of a million dollars. This is the niche market that both your's and our series relate to. Both are more affordable to young drivers coming out of karting or other series. Your's gives a tremendous amount of track time with ultra large fields, which we all know there's no substitute for seat time. Our's gives a little higher profile exposure in front of upper level Series owners. Each has its own merits.

Maybe one day we can all race together at one event.....a Formula Car Extravaganza!

Thread Information