Liked: 0

Default Coolest looking body work?

Guys,

I've been looking around the net for cool looking body work that is available to buy and legal for scca FV. Any suggestions? Pictures would be awesome too!

Thanks!!

Liked: 304

A couple cars in the top 10 at the 2011 runoffs:

http://www.fvsilverbullet.com/

Liked: 76

Jacer bodywork available from SR racing

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49700

this car was once a fv kit.
    butch deer

Liked: 27

Wow! very cool looking but doubt that I could get my butt into it. Or... I might get in but would need a crane to get me back out. Would be a fun ride though.

Is the silver bullet body a 2-piece or 3 piece? It looks very seamless and slick. Is this the body that went thru the wind tunnel testing?

Duh... looked at the last photo again and saw it sitting in a wind tunnel. Like I said... Duh.

Liked: 53

There are tons of great looking body's out there. Like you said you have to be able to fit into it! That's why I'm re-designing the Lazer to fit a more robust driver.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 25

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrancis View Post
    Wow! very cool looking but doubt that I could get my butt into it. Or... I might get in but would need a crane to get me back out. Would be a fun ride though.
    Actually the Jacer is very big on the inside, it it the widest cockpit of any body I could find for my project.
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

thanks for the replies!

I read somewhere that the Jacer body work is not legal for FV. Is this correct?

It looks really cool - that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by igino View Post
    thanks for the replies!

I read somewhere that the Jacer body work is not legal for FV. Is this correct?

It looks really cool - that's for sure!
    [FONT=Monaco]From what I understand it would not pass the FV fan shroud requirement but with a bit of minor glass work removing the cooling scoops in the main section it should be OK. I am using the body for a FST and have no fan shroud requirement to worry about. The body would be cavernous inside without the scoops, about 26 inches wide at the shoulders. Check with Jim at SR to make sure.[/FONT]
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Liked: 67

I find it interesting that the Jacer would not meet the fan shroud rule. I thought the Firsts from Australia ran fans. Maybe you can modify the shroud with their rules.

Having said that, you might need to look at the Vee overall length rule. The nose might need to be shortened.

Jim

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

I believe the Jacer was initially imported by Dan Purdy in Canada, who later sold it to SRacing or somebody else in the US. Dan ran the Jacer in F1200 for a few seasons.
    Not sure about the F1200 guys, but west of them, WCMA has had the fan shroud rule implemented for a while.

F1200 and WCMA rules have always been very close if not identical. For instance they just switched to the same minimum weight we have been running, 1075lbs. Would be interesting to see what the F1200 rules are for the fan shroud.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nash View Post
    I find it interesting that the Jacer would not meet the fan shroud rule. I thought the Firsts from Australia ran fans. Maybe you can modify the shroud with their rules.

Jim
    Jim.

if you look at pictures of Steve's black Jacer FST that was imported as a Vee it has no scoops and the fan shroud would fit, if you look at the work Win did to make the red FST that Butch pointed to the scoops seem to show up at that point. That is the way I see it, but it all predates me.
    Last edited by SamF; 03.13.12 at 12:30 PM. Reason: missing word
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Oh yeah, forgot it had been modified this way. I believe this would not work, this is pretty much the same as the gills on each side of a Lazer, that had to be closed off.

Before the modification, Dan Purdy ran the car with the typical side scoops that protrude on top of the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    Jim.

if you look at pictures of Steve's black Jacer FST that was imported as a Vee it has no scoops and the fan shroud would fit, if you look at the work Win did to make the red FST that Butch pointed to the scoops seem to show up at that point. That is the way I see it, but it all predates me.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Liked: 76

I believe the fan shroud has to fit under the bodywork profile. Running ducts or roll bar braces etc. is O.K. as long as the shroud woud fit if you remioved those things.
    butch deer

Liked: 190

The fan shroud fits fine on the Jacer (pre and post mods).

The issue is the OA length, its too long. The Jacer that Guy Bellingham ran in F1200 had a shortend nose to make legal length.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 174

Bill,

It appears that you have a cockroach issue!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    The fan shroud fits fine on the Jacer (pre and post mods).

The issue is the OA length, its too long. The Jacer that Guy Bellingham ran in F1200 had a shortend nose to make legal length.
    Bill,

Thanks as always for the knowledge. So I need to make it a Snub Nose 1200 if i wanted it to be a Vee.... I think I'll just keep going with the long nose 1600 project!
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

I have smacked my monitor several time trying to get that bug. Thanks a lot Bill!

Liked: 1

Default Jacer with scca legal nose

Bill is correct, we changed the front nose to a shorter one to make the car length legal. The fan will easily fit. This was done by cutting off the tip of the original nose and making a rounder nose.

pictures are of car being driven by Guy Bellingham.

Dan Purdy

Thanks for all the input guys. Bringing this thread back to life because I need some advice.

I bought the main body from SR Racing and it came with the scoops similar to the red car. I was cruising along building my frame when I decided to get a quote to have those scoops removed by a fiberglass shop in my area. BTW - i need the scoops removed because I'm a big guy and that was the whole reason I went with this body. Anyway - the guy quotes me 2000-2500 bucks! He explained to me the price breakdown, and I don't know the first thing about fiberglass, so I had to take his word for it.

My question is: Does this seem reasonable?? What other options do I have? I am going to call up Jim at SR to see if he has any of the bodies without the scoops, but they are out of town for the next couple days racing. I'm pretty much dead in the water right now trying to figure out what next.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Igino

That seems a but steep to me to spend over 2x the cost of the complete body to have the scoops removed. It may be time to become familiar with epoxy and fiberglass.
    Sam
    Acer-MK2 FST #56
    Acer-J FST #47
    Hawke DL8 FSV

that's what i'm afraid of. Bummer is that it'll take me just as long to figure out how to do that nicely as it will to build up the rest of the car!

Thread Information