Liked: 27

Default Annual Inspection question

I am getting my car ready for an annual so that I can get a new logbook issued. What do they do in an annual versus a tech inspection at the track before a race?

Liked: 29

An annual inspection can take place at the track or away from it. Some regions will have a day planned prior to the start of the season where you can bring your car in for inspection. You might be able to get an inspector to come out to your car to do the inspection as well. An annual inspection is a front to back, top to bottom thorough inspection.

Generally the tech inspection that occurs at the track is a shorter inspection. There will be a lot more cars waiting so the inspectors will focus on certain aspects to check all the cars. A car of course must have an annual before it can pass tech to race that weekend.

Think of it as going to the doctor and getting your medical, he checks you with different medical tests to make sure you're fit and healthy. Throughout the year you may visit him again for a quick checkup. Essentially making sure you're still in tip top shape.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Great way to think of it. Thanks.

Liked: 77

Since you said you need a new logbook, that (probably) means the car is new or was never previously registered with SCCA. In either case, the inspection for a new logbook is even more thorough than an annual inspection. Things like welds for the roll hoops should be examined closely; those might never be examined in the usual annual inspection.

If some aspect of the car is not "proper", two outcomes are possible. If it is something fairly minor and not a safety issue, you might get the logbook, but a notation would be made to fix it by the next time the car is brought to an event. If the problem is considered to create a safety issue, the logbook would not be issued until the problem is fixed.

Dave

You can download the same form the tech inspector uses from the SCCA.

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=46288

That form is exactly what I needed. It has all the requirements. Now I can check them out before I take it to annual. Thanks.

Glad you sent me the form. I didn't know they check out your suit and personal safety gear at the annual. Also didn't think about the SCCA decals either. Thanks for sending that link. It really helped.

Liked: 50

Normally they don't check your suit and helmet at an off track annual. We do annuals here every year at our shop and only the car is required. Since anyone could be driving that car at the track with any suit and helmet, they typically only require the car. The helmet (and suit) will be checked at the track. But if it isn't a problem take it all. Then you will know you are good to go.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

The annual inspection form says 3 SCCA decals plus a sanctioning body decal (SCCA). What is the difference?

Liked: 50

Sounds like an error. Only the 3 SCCA decals are required. That IS the sanctioning body. (Of course you need the Electrical and Fire decals and your nums and class also.)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Bought those from you last year and already on the car. Looks good too!

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Sounds like an error. Only the 3 SCCA decals are required. That IS the sanctioning body. (Of course you need the Electrical and Fire decals and your nums and class also.)
    I was curious about this too so I asked our local tech staff. The mention of sanctioning body decals (SCCA only) refers to no other decals but SCCA. If you run another group, you may be asked to cover those decals up.

Thread Information