Liked: 0

Default NecksGen Neck & Head Restraint

Anyone heard of this company? I just received an email from them and it looks nice. www.necksgen.com

For Immediate Release
    Contact Laz Denes
    True Speed Communication
    (704) 875-3388, ext. 806 or Laz.Denes@TrueSpeedCommunication.com
    Editors note: High-resolution versions of the product photo at bottom, and other variations, are available upon request.

Introducing the Next-Generation Frontal Head Restraint
    All-New ‘NecksGen’ System Latest To Be SFI Certified for Worldwide Motor Racing

EL CAJON, Calif. (Feb. 29, 2012) – Race drivers from all motorsports disciplines around the world have a revolutionary new option in head and neck protection with today’s introduction of the NecksGen frontal head restraint system by the Southern California-based company NecksGen, Inc.

Frontal head restraints are mandated as required safety equipment by sanctioning bodies in most major racing series worldwide as injury from an unrestrained head and helmet is a major factor in neck injuries that often result in paralysis and death.

NecksGen takes safety and quality to a higher level with its lightweight and simple-to-use unit designed to work in conjunction with the multi-point seat-belt harness of any high-speed racing vehicle. Constructed in Southern California from the latest carbon fiber composite material from DuPont, the NecksGen system has achieved superior results in Certification 38.1 testing by the Safety Foundation Institute (SFI), which issues and administers safety standards for specialty and performance products in the automotive and racing industries.

Weighing in at just 1.6 pounds, the NecksGen unit features a one-size-fits-all design that is adjustable to fit a wide range of seat angles from 10 to 40 degrees, allowing the driver to manipulate the back of the unit for comfort and safety while helping to eliminate interference from the seat and helmet. Its ergonomically flexible design helps achieve previously unsurpassed comfort while its size allows it to fit easily over the driver’s head and neck. The unit’s body-forming belts and Kevlar pads ensure there are no hard contact points to pressure the collarbone.

The NecksGen’s adjustable tension-neutralizing helmet tether allows the impact load to be distributed evenly through four load paths for maximum head and neck protection in the event of a collision while maintaining a full range of head motion under normal racing conditions.. This adjustable tether compensates for tall or short neck sizes, and the system can be fine-tuned for improved protection with numerous options in the location of helmet mounting holes.

Designed to be used with two- or three-inch seat belts, the NecksGen also features unique belt wings to keep loose belts from falling off under accident conditions, and its belt channels keep the restraint system centered under the seat belts at all times.

Its aesthetically pleasing, low-profile design makes the NecksGen ideal for use in smaller, confined spaces like the cockpit of a dragster or land-speed car.

Quick-release helmet hardware allows the helmet to be released with two fingers under normal conditions.

The NecksGen system is available for a suggested retail price of $599 and includes quick-release and hard-mount hardware options, as well as a kit with standard tools for installation, a “swag kit” with car decals, driver suit patches and a Flex-Fit cap, and a carrying case to help protect the unit.

For more information about the NecksGen system, visit www.NecksGen.com, or call 855-NECKSGEN (855-632-5743).

– NecksGen –

Banned
    Liked: 1116

As a consumer it would be nice to have more SFI 38.1 compliant devices to choose from.

What's the connection to Necksgen and the company that made/makes the Defender?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

same relative look, same general vicinity, right?

Maybe next gen of the defender?

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    As a consumer it would be nice to have more SFI 38.1 compliant devices to choose from.

What's the connection to Necksgen and the company that made/makes the Defender?
    Same address

Liked: 18

Default copy

Another knock off of the HANS. Clearly a patent infringement just like the defnder was.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Same address
    Yeah I saw that and the fact that agent for service is listed as Legalzoom.com and the OP had one post and a Charlotte phone number made me think that somebody wasn't being as transparent as good marketing might require.

Quote Originally Posted by rohartman View Post
    Another knock off of the HANS. Clearly a patent infringement just like the defnder was.
    I'm not a patent or IP lawyer, so I don't know. What I do know is there are enough design parameters required in the SFI and FIA spec that a certain resemblence is going to exist in order for the device to be approved. IMO drafting the specs such that they are will not allow much outside the box/innovation....chances are something much better than the HANS isn't going to come along. However, by requiring the devices to share some physical characteristics while steering clear of unfair trade practice suits, you are going to have to allow a certain amount of similarities to exist.

Liked: 18

I'm not a patent or IP lawyer, so I don't know. What I do know is there are enough design parameters required in the SFI and FIA spec that a certain resemblence is going to exist in order for the device to be approved. IMO drafting the specs such that they are will not allow much outside the box/innovation....chances are something much better than the HANS isn't going to come along. However, by requiring the devices to share some physical characteristics while steering clear of unfair trade practice suits, you are going to have to allow a certain amount of similarities to exist.
    "certain amount of similarities to exist" just look at it, that neckgen is a carbon copy of the HANS. That is stealing.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    Randall Hartman

Liked: 146

Looks to me like a Defender with a Hybrid-style tether mounting point. Unless Simpson/Hybrid is more forgiving with patent infringement, I don't see it flying.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

Didn't Dfendr get its SFI 38.1 certification yanked?

Banned

just look at it, that neckgen is a carbon copy of the HANS. That is stealing.
    I'm guessing you'd consider Rosanne Barr a carbon copy of Sofia Vergara as well.

Liked: 49

"NecksGen does not do business in Georgia. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Awesome

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I'm guessing you'd consider Rosanne Barr a carbon copy of Sofia Vergara as well.
    They are functional equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Didn't Dfendr get its SFI 38.1 certification yanked?
    No. They stopped producing the product and didn't renew (pay for the stickers) for any new devices.

The device's certification is still good.

Liked: 68

I wouldn't be so quick to judge - if they've been through a patent enforcement action, they may well have a pretty good understanding of exactly what the HANS patent(s) do and do not cover.

Most patents can be designed around, once a judge has made clear what the specific claims actually represent in a physical sense.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 43

I'm no patent attorney but we do deal with a fair amount of IP where I work. The legal language (or claims) is what defines the patent, not just what a paticular item looks like. This paticular knock off of the HANS maybe different because of the adjustability of angle in the design. The original HANS claims may have a statement that says "fixed angle" and if the new competitor design does not have a "fixed angle" or something as simple as an adjustable angle it may be deemed different and not in violation of the patent rights. Wording is critical and good attorneys can usually find a loophole if there is enough money to push them. Another thing is that patents only last 15-20 years and companies will start to copy patent design with the chance that they will not be legally pursued for the short time damages that they may be in violation for. It costs the patented company more money to legally pursue then the settlment would generate.

I have know idea if any of this is going on with any of the companies on this thread but thought I would shed some light from some scenarios I have seen in the past.
    Last edited by Northwind; 03.06.12 at 11:40 PM.

Liked: 5

Has anybody purchased one of these yet? Looks like it would fit in my cars better than a Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB NEUMEISTER View Post
    Has anybody purchased one of these yet? Looks like it would fit in my cars better than a Hans.
    What kind of cars? Where is the HANS the issue? This is a very similar to the DefNder and I've tested that in a lot of different cars.

Liked: 5

answer to Joe's question, FV's- one lay down seating and one more upright. The part of the Hans that sticks up to back of helmet and hits the head rest is part that gives trouble. Either hits it at wrong angle or moves helmet (head) forward and down. Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Bob Neumeister; 04.05.12 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BOB NEUMEISTER View Post
    answer to Joe's question, FV's- one lay down seating and one more upright. The part of the Hans that sticks up to back of helmet and hits the head rest is part that gives trouble. Either hits it at wrong angle or moves helmet (head) forward and down. Thanks for any info.
    Sorry for this answer but it may or may not help.

I beleive behind the helmet will be pretty similar to the HANS. The ohter issue you may have is the way the harness/chest area sits on you. they sit higher than a HANS and might interfere with the helmet and force your head in a bad position.

They coincidnetally called me today and are sending a test model out my way. When I have it I'll post more info on it here.

As for your application of multiple angles and needing room behind your head. I'd look at the Hybrid Pro from Simpson/Safety Solutions. Nothing behind the head to push you forward like the HANS is doing and the device is not angle dependent.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Necksgen

Don't have an opinion on the legal issues but I did try one of these on this weekend and was pleased enough that I plan on getting one sent down for a test fit in my own car. I have wore a Hans Pro 30 for many years. I am tall and drive lots of different cars. The Hans works great for me in some cars but in others it takes up too much of the room behind my head limiting my headrest options and/or pushing my helmet forward.

What I found (not scientific) positives:
    - very lightweight compared to the new Simpson device - similar weight to Hans
    - extremely comfortable on shoulders, collar bone and chest due to the totally different concept for mounting the flexible kevlar belts to the device.
    - as previously mentioned - nothing behind the helmet to use up headrest space
    - adjustable angle from 10-40 degrees
    - quality of construction was very impressive
    - price (although that is not my criteria as I am using the high dollar version of the Hans)
    - possibly will provide more limitation on side motion in a wreck

negatives:
    - depending on your sitting postion, neck length and style/size of helmet the bottom sides of your helmet may touch the carbon upper sides of the device - that is why I am getting one to test in my FE in a full seated postion. I think in a more upright seat vehicle it will not be an issue at all.

FWIW

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Don't have an opinion on the legal issues but I did try one of these on this weekend and was pleased enough that I plan on getting one sent down for a test fit in my own car. I have wore a Hans Pro 30 for many years. I am tall and drive lots of different cars. The Hans works great for me in some cars but in others it takes up too much of the room behind my head limiting my headrest options and/or pushing my helmet forward.

What I found (not scientific) positives:
    - very lightweight compared to the new Simpson device - similar weight to Hans
    - extremely comfortable on shoulders, collar bone and chest due to the totally different concept for mounting the flexible kevlar belts to the device.
    - as previously mentioned - nothing behind the helmet to use up headrest space
    - adjustable angle from 10-40 degrees
    - quality of construction was very impressive
    - price (although that is not my criteria as I am using the high dollar version of the Hans)
    - possibly will provide more limitation on side motion in a wreck

negatives:
    - depending on your sitting postion, neck length and style/size of helmet the bottom sides of your helmet may touch the carbon upper sides of the device - that is why I am getting one to test in my FE in a full seated postion. I think in a more upright seat vehicle it will not be an issue at all.

FWIW

JM
    As someone that has owned & used the DefNder since it came out (I have one of the first) I'd say that is a VERY accurate description.

I would still buy one over a Hans Device...
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

As someone that has owned & used the DefNder since it came out (I have one of the first) I'd say that is a VERY accurate description.

I would still buy one over a Hans Device

John, what type of car are you using the device in and what angle are you sitting? Do you have a conflict with the device and the bottom of your helmet?

Liked: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Mary Racing View Post

I would still buy one over a Hans Device

John, what type of car are you using the device in and what angle are you sitting? Do you have a conflict with the device and the bottom of your helmet?
    Reynard SF88, seat is 40 deg. and I sit very reclined due my 6'3" height. There are rub marks on one of the forward braces on the DefNder from my Bell Dominator - but I've never felt it hit or to restrict movement. The old DefNder allowed you to adjust the straps your belts ride on so the braces could be brought down in height - It looks like that the straps are fixed now.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Thanks John,

I just got the Necksgen. I am simular to you at 6'2" in a Van Diemen RF80 probably more than 40 incline. I use a simpson Super Bandit Helmet. I am worried about it hitting on my helmet

Liked: 29

"I am worried about it hitting on my helmet"

I was also.....there are four angles 10*, 20*, 30*, 40* to select from and I played with th different angles to slacken the cushion straps under the braces and sat in the car.
    The seating angle I have is close to 40* and have a Bell with a low front and I have a short neck. Happy was I that the Gen fit well.

Previously I have tried on a 30 and 40 Hans and they both interfered with the helmet bottom lip when turning my head a bit. i would think that just as buying a helmet, one has to try a fit on before buying. Length of neck, chest girth etc. might preclude a good fit.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
    "I am worried about it hitting on my helmet"

I was also.....there are four angles 10*, 20*, 30*, 40* to select from and I played with th different angles to slacken the cushion straps under the braces and sat in the car.
    The seating angle I have is close to 40* and have a Bell with a low front and I have a short neck. Happy was I that the Gen fit well.

Previously I have tried on a 30 and 40 Hans and they both interfered with the helmet bottom lip when turning my head a bit. i would think that just as buying a helmet, one has to try a fit on before buying. Length of neck, chest girth etc. might preclude a good fit.
    I had the same worry in me FE sportsracer. Glad to find no problem at all using 30 degree setting and bell dominator helmet. I am sold!
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Latest news on NG is that Impact will now carry them. Impact is the company Bill Simpson started and sold last year.

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/Pr...oductCode=9100

Seems Like Simpson and Impact are squaring off in a few areas.

Better for the consumer
    -Jim Lill
    My Racer

Thread Information