Liked: 27

Default High Blood Pressure question

Not looking for medical advice.... just a question that I don't know the answer to. On the SCCA medical form is says that if a persons blood pressure is more than 160/60 they must be referred to the SCCA Medical board. I can see that would pretty much rule you out.

My question is this. If you have your blood pressure under control with doctor prescribed medication and it is less than 160/90, are you ok? In other words... does taking medication to reduce your blood pressure disqualify you?

Further down, it has a yes/no check box that asks if you have a history of High blood pressure. If you answer yes there, does that knock you out even if you test less than 160/90 during the exam?

I am assuming that since a lot of the FV drivers are "mature" a lot of them are on blood pressure medicine and that is OK with the SCCA as long as it is lower than 160/90. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Millions of American's suffer from high blood pressure and millions are under medication.

Taking proper meds should not disqualify you from obtaining an SCCA license. The medical exam also requests a EKG, and other tests.

I have had HBP for many years and was never denied the SCCA license as the prescribed meds kept the HBP under control well below the limits of the SCCA.

Enjoy the racing, just stay away from the umbrella girls, they may cause the blood pressure to rise a bit.
    Last edited by Richard Dziak; 03.05.12 at 8:47 PM.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 3787

Even if you get refered to the medical board, that does not rule you out. It just may mean that you will have to provide an EKG, and get physicals every year.

The key is what is is under regular treatment.

Liked: 1398

Bloed pressure is a real problem for older pilots and trying to pass their FAA medicals every 2 years.

Go to the AOPA.org web site and find an FAA medical examiner in your area. If you can pass the FAA requirements to fly, you will have no problem with SCCA. You don't have to be a pilot to use the services of the AOPA.

Liked: 126

As an aside, I had been around 145/90 every year and eventually went on meds. SCCA always accepted the Doc's comments. But over the past three months, I started eating a mostly vegetarian diet, and without meds, it is now 120/80. Vast difference.

Liked: 2

Having had high blood pressure, the only part was a medical every year and an EKG every other.

Thanks for all the good news. I was afraid it was a pass or no pass thing. Good to see I may still have a chance. You all made my day!

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    But over the past three months, I started eating a mostly vegetarian diet, and without meds, it is now 120/80. Vast difference.
    nice

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    As an aside, I had been around 145/90 every year and eventually went on meds. SCCA always accepted the Doc's comments. But over the past three months, I started eating a mostly vegetarian diet, and without meds, it is now 120/80. Vast difference.
    I wonder if we'll see Rob in a TV commercial with before and after pictures, with him wearing an old pair of his pants, holding out the too-large waistband. :-).

Liked: 210

Having had a quad. bypass and heart valve repair after the Historics races in 2010, I take Amlodipine in the morning and Lisinopril in the evening to control blood pressure. In addition Warfarin as a blood thinner once a day (nasty stuff). Need a monthly test for the level to be sure I don't get too much and bleed to death internally.

Yesterday, my blood pressure at the doctors office was 125/60. Pretty good stuff but a TOUGH way to get there.

P.S.

I smoked for 46 years (pack a day) and always thought lung cancer would get me. In fact, although not advertised as much, doctors told me (once in the hospital) that smoking causes more heart disease then it does lung problems. Who'd a thought.

When they cracked my chest they said my lungs look GREAT! Go figure that one LOL.

STOP SMOKING lowers blood pressure and will save your life!

Not a problem with competition license. Did you know Carroll Shelby is the oldest living heart transplant recipiant??
    Last edited by rickb99; 03.07.12 at 3:07 AM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 94

I take Atenolol and Diovan to "control" my blood pressure but it is only marginally effective. I'd better get to the doctor, have him complete the physical form and get this ball rolling if I'm going to make the April driver's school at BeaveRun!

Between this and my recently diagnosed arthritic hip joints, I'm not happy but I'm not going down without a fight either!

Liked: 0

Default As usual, listen to Lathrop

Advice to go to FAA Examiner is very wise. It is the best value out there for regular physicals related to safe operation of vehicles for those of us over 60.

Be aware that some BP meds are better than others for high G maneuvers. Meds that control BP by reducing water/blood volume can reduce heat tolerance and tolerance to high G's in long turns. The FAA Medical Examiner knows what is best for you and your planned activity.

Losing weight is good for BP and will generally make you and the car go faster. You will also probably live longer. Lose enough and you probably don't need any Meds.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Just be up front on the med form, don't conveniently forget to mention things. It really pisses the Chief of Medical off.

I thought they gave you special scrutiny if your blood pressure is over 140/90. I'm on medication and mine came out just a little under those numbers at my last medical exam.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default salt, Salt,SALT, Yes it's salt that causes...

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. The typical American intake of salt is directly responsible for high blood pressure. Except for fresh vegetables,most of the products bought at your favorite grocery store have salt added. Just read the small print on the container. So...like most Americans, we reach for the salt shaker before we pick up the fork. It just happens to be our life style as detrimental as [it] is! Go to "fast food" restaurants and whether you know it or not and there will be salt added to your meal. Why? Well it tastes better and they hope you will come back again another dqy. Cut back on your use of salt, leave the salt shaker in the cupboard and within 3 months your blood pressure will be lower and you probably started to lose some weight, perhaps you will be getting a better nights sleep also. Salt is an insidious killer begining with high blood pressure.

Liked: 36

So true Albatross!!just try as he says and read the labels on your groceries,its scary!!!the amount of Sodium listed,fortunatly my Blood pressure is fine at 63..but I was a vegeterian for about 20 yrs, Doc was impressed with my Cholesteral count toso I guess it all helped.DONT use salt at the table

When I could not get my BP below the 140/80 limit, I decided to go on a diet, cut salt and start walking again. That was 3 months ago. All of these things have helped but I am still right on the line. Somedays higher and some days lower. I have not gone to the doctor to get my medical because I wanted to make sure it was just low enough and she wouldn't insist on BP meds. I am close now so with everyone's great advice and encouragement , I printed down the medical formand Novice application and checked the drivers school schedule to make sure the Daytona school was still open for the end of April. I read over the supplemental instructions for the school and it said NO OPEN WHEELED CARS WILL BE PERMITTED AT THIS EVENT. UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH. One more ride down the rollercoaster. The next school is at Sebring in July and August in Atlanta. No doubt my blood pressure should be fine by then but I will die of heatstroke at either of those schools. Looks like I will have to wait another full year to go to the double drivers school at Roebling Road next February. A lot can happen in a year.

Default Information about BP limits.

Here are two links that might be of interest.

http://www.leftseat.com/bpchange.htm

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ch/item55/amd/

Note the FAA Standards infer a limit with no medication, or an evaluation if using meds. Even for those of us over 60, our goal should be to at least be in the High Normal without meds, and Normal with Meds. My understanding is that High Normal meets SCCA and FAA.

The point is not just meeting the minimum standards--it is being healthy enough to race at high speed under heat stress without endangering yourself or others. That is the intent of the SCCA requirements.

Default Alternatives to SCCA Regional Driver School

Just a reminder that attending an "accredited" driving school qualifies you for a Regional License.

It is a bit more expensive, but there is a lot of valuable seat time and you will be a better driver because of the experience. You will also get a sense of your relative competentcy compared to others in open wheel cars. The cars are faster than FV's.

I did the Skip Barber Formula Car School and I would highly recommend it if you intend to race FV's or any open wheel car competitively.

Back in the 1990's I was a student pilot and had my class 3 medical. Passed with no problems (I was in better shape then). An incursion into the tops of some 50 foot tall pine tree's while doing some touch and go's made me re-think the idea of flying. A few years ago I got back in the saddle and starting flying Sport Planes. Only need a drivers license for that but I was thinking about getting my class 3 again so a trip to the FAA-approved doc may be coming too.

I did a search for car rentals in Florida and there are several companies that provide arrive and drive support at the drivers school. Barbers is at Sebring and they are highly recommended but I just don't have the money.

I am going to run my FV in Vintage for now and there are several Vintage organizations I could run with here in Florida and Georgia. I have the D-13 I could build for Club Racing if I wanted to expand.

This is kinda one of those bucket list things. I raced a 68 Camaro at the old Marlboro Md track back in the late 60's and wanted to do it again before I all I can drive is a Hoveround.
    Gettin older every minute if you know what I mean.

Liked: 72

SCCA provides alternative driving schools if you have any prior experience. Check out the GCR. SCCA PDX, Time and CLub trials can count as prior experience as well.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Does anyone know if open wheel cars can run in PDX? I read the rules and it says that cars that are SOLO legal can run in PDX. FV's run in FM so it would seem that they can. I think the whole idea behind the NOVICE PDX is to have an instructor sitting next to you telling you the best way around the track. It would be really tight in my car. Anybody ever seen a FV at a PDX? I sent an email to the contact but have not received a reply yet.

Nevermind... found it in the rules. Modified class solo cars are not allowed. Sounded like a great idea for about 3 nanoseconds.

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrancis View Post
    Does anyone know if open wheel cars can run in PDX? I read the rules and it says that cars that are SOLO legal can run in PDX. FV's run in FM so it would seem that they can. I think the whole idea behind the NOVICE PDX is to have an instructor sitting next to you telling you the best way around the track. It would be really tight in my car. Anybody ever seen a FV at a PDX? I sent an email to the contact but have not received a reply yet.
    Don't know about SCCA, but there are a few HPDE organizers I know that allow open wheel cars, Radicals, etc. at HPDE open track events, on track the same time as street cars. I'm in California, so I can't help you with that in Florida. But just because they allow it, doesn't make it a good idea. The first time I drove my FM was at Willow Springs, which is a very high speed road course, and I was on track with a bunch of modified street cars. It was not fun.

The more I thought about it, the more I agree with the rule. I have read the when SRF's are grouped with Formula cars, there are a lot of close calls. Can't imagine what it would be like being in the blind spot of a full-size car.

Liked: 72

PDX (performance driving experience) is designed for folks to take their street cars and try out the track experience. If you own something more modified, look into the TT portion of the track days. There are several levels of TT (track trials), from street cars up to GCR compliant cars. Yes, Formula cars are included. The specifics of car prep are dependent on the track being used. Obviously, a high speed track with less forgiving runoffs, will require more safety provisions in the car. Cages, seats, restraints etc.

Go to the SCCA website, click on road racing and you will find the links to PDX, TT and Hillclimbs. If you are a licensed road racer, you can qualify to become an instructor. One could actually take out a DMV licensed son or daughter, and have a PDX day.

The TT days are a great way to get track time for new drivers. While the passing is regulated, you'll still get a lot of seat time working on corners and braking.

Do a search on the "Tail of the Dragon" hillclimb video. It takes place in the Carolinas and is spectacular. The video I saw was an in car with a GT3 Porsche and it's a rip. Since all it requires is a license and GCR compliant car, I've added a hillclimb to my bucket list.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

I see a lot of PDX but few TT down here in Fl. Maybe I can talk my son into letting me drive his 73 Camaro at the PDX. At least I will have some track time on Daytona and it may go towards the 2nd drivers school if I do a few of them. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information