Liked: 319

Default My brother's first FV

I was messing around on Google last summer and just for grins I googled the name Dick Londergan and Formula V. My older brother's first race car, which he bought in 1972, was a clapped out older FV from the mid 60s that was made by a Detroit Region fabricator named Dick Londergan. Even in the early 70s it was totally out of date (it didn't even have a Z bar and used a queer cable system to control camber compensation) but we learned that first year, mostly about how NOT to prep even the simplest race car. At the end of the year he got tangled up in a big shunt just past the kink in the back straight at Nelson's Ledges and wrote the chassis off. We looked up the guy who had built it and he sold us a Lynx copy that he had started and never finished and ran that a year or two before figuring out how to mess up Formula Ford.

Anyway, When I googled Londergan and Formula V up popped a reference to an article in the November 1966 Foriegn Car Guide magazine. After scouring Ebay for the last 8 or 9 months I finally scored a copy of that magazine and sure enough there was a long article in it on Dick and his Formula Vee, which at the time sported an all aluminum body, though there was reference to the fact that he was getting ready to pull a mold off it. (My brother's car had a fiberglass body.) Lots of cool b&w pics in the article too!

Anyway, when my brother shows up here in Illinois to bring our mother back from a visit to DC this weekend, I'm going to give him the old magazine.

Anyone else have any info on Londergan FVs?

Liked: 27

Great story. Thanks

Thread Information