Liked: 2

Default GSXR Motor-Mount-Math

Does anyone have the precise distances (in thousanths) from each GSXR engine/trans mount-facings to the unit's CL? That is, the two mounts on the block and the four mounts on the tail of the transmission...

We're trying to fine-align our '07-08 GSXR with the rest of the chassis and the diff and it's giving us fits.

Thanks ---

Liked: 126

What is your definition of the C/L of the engine? By weight? By volume? or halfway between the head mount locations or halfway between the upper or lower rear trunnions?

Your engine placement location in the chassis probably has a lot to do with your differential and the rear sprocket location. Basically, locate the engine in the chassis to ensure the sprockets align.

On my first build, my C/L reference on the Yamaha was halfway between the lower trunnion. On my second build, I essentially ignore any C/L reference and place the Kawi's right lower rear trunnion flush up against the rear drive box on the right side. This placement closely aligns the sprockets - minimizing the size of the rear sprocket spacer - while still ensuring the center of gravity is close to alignment with the car.

You might be making it more complicated than it really is.

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

dustin wright from phoenix and gary from edge should have the cad drawings as well I think wayne from stohr might as I beleive lee stohr when he was at stohr cars was providing the drawings to the community.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    What is your definition of the C/L of the engine? By weight? By volume? or halfway between the head mount locations or halfway between the upper or lower rear trunnions?

Your engine placement location in the chassis probably has a lot to do with your differential and the rear sprocket location. Basically, locate the engine in the chassis to ensure the sprockets align.

On my first build, my C/L reference on the Yamaha was halfway between the lower trunnion. On my second build, I essentially ignore any C/L reference and place the Kawi's right lower rear trunnion flush up against the rear drive box on the right side. This placement closely aligns the sprockets - minimizing the size of the rear sprocket spacer - while still ensuring the center of gravity is close to alignment with the car.

You might be making it more complicated than it really is.
    What Rob said!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 896

The position of the engine in our cars has always been determined by where the differential sprocket is located laterally in the car. The engine sprocket must then be on the same plane as the diff sprocket. This puts the engine a bit offset in the chassis.

I do not care to define a "centerline" of the engine, however I do reference all of the mounting points on the trans and the front engine mounts. While our mounting plates for the trans are mounted symetrically on the chassis there are different spacer lengths between the brackets and the trans housing. The same is true for the front engine mounts.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Thread Information