Thread: Stolen trailers

Liked: 0

Default Stolen trailers

I just joined this board last night. While looking around this discussion caught my eye. I had no idea you guys had so much trouble keeping track of your equipment.
    I own a small buy here pay here car lot. For the last 4 years or so we do not sell a car unless we also install a gps locator in it. When the buyer fails to pay we just go to the computer type in a command and we locate our car parked or even going down the road. The unit sells for about $250.00 with that and a small lawn mower battery hidden in the trailer it would be no problem to find when it left home without your knowledge.

Honest Dad himself

Liked: 208

Default Great idea

Where do we find this gps unit?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 7

Default First Google 'GPS locater' Ad I saw...

$179 + $17.99/month + an unspecified additional for stationary reports on the hour.

I'd like to find one with less Fleet Features, and just the minimum req'd for a Theft Recovery w/out the monthly chg...

Edit:
    $269.64 gets you this Theft Recovery tracker with 3 years of network coverage

Rick Kean
    Last edited by Rick Kean; 02.09.12 at 3:33 PM.

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    $179 + $17.99/month + an unspecified additional for stationary reports on the hour.

I'd like to find one with less Fleet Features, and just the minimum req'd for a Theft Recovery w/out the monthly chg...

Rick Kean
    Smartphones have this service available. The Verizon version is included with the $7/month insurance on my Galaxy Nexus.

http://www.asurionmobile.com/products.html

http://www.asurion.com/web/asurion/handset-protection

If similar coverage is available for "feature phones" with lower cost to buy and no need for a data plan and also much longer battery life it might be a solution. A supplemental battery to keep the phone charged probably would be necessary.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5855

Dick

F1000champ

Try this one. No monthly fees. Pay for as many of as few locates you want.

http://www.rmtracking.com/gpsproduct...rt_tracker.php

$175.00

Pay as You Go Plans (Locates / Price)
    24-hr Activation (5 / $4.95)
    7-day Activation (10 / $7.95)
    Annual Plans (Locates / Price)
    1-year Activation (15 / $24.95)
    2-year Activation (35 / $49.95)
    3-year Activation (60 / $69.95)
    Add Additional Locates (Locates / Price)
    Bronze Pkg (5 / $3.95)
    Silver Pkg (25 / $5.95)
    Gold Pkg (100 / $12.95)
    Platinum Pkg (500 / $59.95)
    Pooled locates will allow locates to be shared among multiple devices.
    Last edited by F1000champ; 02.09.12 at 4:03 PM.

Ive been eyeing this for when I get an enclosed trailer, no monthly fee and designed for trailers (including an alarm)
    CDR T&S (Road Racing) "Screw politics lets race"
    '84 Mazda RX7 S7 #30 "The Famine Car" aka "The Vampire car"
    '97 Mazda Miata "Baby Cop Car" ES #30
    Help stop world hunger

Default GPS

First let me introduce my self, my name is Bill Jones my son and I race those funny little roundy round race cars with the wing on top. We use the same power as you guys do and I was on here looking for a Gen IV Kawasaki zx10r motor kit. I just kinda of stumbled across your lost and stolen equipment section.

For the last few years I have used one of our gps locators both on my tow truck and trailer. In the trailer we put a riding lawn mower battery back in a cabinet and hooked it up to the emergency breakaway brake system that is charged by the tow vehicle. We hooked it up to the gps unit "Looks like the one the guy has in his hand" above. The unit and antenna was installed in the fiberglass nose section of the trailer and connected to the lawn mower battery.

These things have a geo fence on them, so when you park them you can go on line and draw a circle around your vehicle and if the vehicle is moved out of that area it will send you an instant message to your cell phone letting you know that something is moving that shouldn't be. You can then go back on line and follow it, and or call the police.

I talked to the people I buy them from and they said that they have a cut down unit that does not have a starter interrupt on them that sells for $200.00. They do not have a yearly charge on their units and do not charge an arm and leg for locates. I have used them for almost 4 years now and they are good people to work with.

I hope this helps you guy keep track of your toys better, If you know of any 2011-12 zx10r out there please let me know.

Call 1-800-675-1305 and ask for Brian Tell him Dad turned you on to him and he said he would give you my price, I buy them 20 at a time to get the deal.

Honest Dad himself

If you want to check me out go to Indiana Open Wheel and check out post by Dad, or Google search Dad's Muffler Shops.
    Last edited by WRJ969; 02.10.12 at 3:26 PM.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 415

I've got three Bike Bone units left. Standard GPS tracking, geo fence, email/SMS alerts, alarm trigger feature. $300 for the unit. First year of tracking free, then $99 per year.

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/GPS/Micro2500WP

Email fattogatto@msn.com for details
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 18

Regardless of which GPS tracking unit anyone buys, be sure to keep up with the battery. GPS tracking units are known for being a battery drainer.
    Also, most GPS tracking units need to have the unit or the antenna with line of site to the sky (to see the satellite). Some are A-GPS and can use cell phone towers to triangulate its location, thus they can be mounted inside without seeing the sky.
    Lastly, 99% of the units rely on cell technology to transmit the location. No cell service, no transmitting until it does see a signal.

Hope this helps when looking for units.

Lyle
    Trailer-Alarms.com
    2x PRI Global Media Award Winner
    PRI Booth 7100

Liked: 8

Default At the Risk

Of being simplistic, but I just spin off all my wheel nuts on the trailer. If you try to move it, well, ya won't get far! I just have steel wheels so they are not as desirable as alloy wheels.

Not perfect, but the thief will have to prepare for the theft in advance. And most thefts will happen at night....when was the last time YOU checked your nuts before driving away?

You might have to replace a fender, but the odds are that the trailer will still be there when you come to get it.

I also extend the tongue jack as high as it will go (that is pretty high) then I disconnect the power source (you can remove the handle on a manual one) so the trailer will be difficult to hook up. A hardened tongue lock is also in place.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 106

Default Trailer security

I do like the whole GPS thing , However Id rather not let em get the trailer in the first place, then go to jail for shooting someone. (not good)

A visual deterrent is effective, make them pass on your tailer and look elsewhere.

I just run a heavy chain through the wheels and lock it. Both sides and a hitch lock.

Certainly should they get through all that GPS would be great. But Call the cops.

Discharge capacitor to the frame....hmmmmmm.... could be fun to watch.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Having lost a trailer I can tell you that there a couple of other things to consider.

Insurance - my insurance agent told me that my trailer was covered under my home owners. Turns out this is only for lawn maintenance trailers, no registered vehicles are covered. Get a rider on your auto or business policy.

Contents, you will need an inventory to get reimbursed and again you may need a rider to make sure it is covered. I have a video of the inside of my trailer, walk thru and open every cabinet and drawer. You can always make the list after the fact using the video.

I will guarantee that if you try to make a list once the trailer is gone you will forget something, I know that I did. I is amazing how fast things add up. years later I was still running into specialty tools that I had neglected to put on my inventory and get reimbursed for.

F1000champ

A trailer that is heavily decaled or wrapped is also a deterent, as they are more easily identified and caught, if stolen.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Discharge capacitor to the frame....hmmmmmm.... could be fun to watch.[/quote]

I keep suggesting a battery powered fence charger with a hidden off switch connected to the frame but no one takes me seriously.

Liked: 1

Default iPhone?

The iPhone 3GS costs about nothing right now. Extended-life battery packs cost around $30-40. On any kind of family plan, the additional phone line costs about $10/month.

Why couldn't you put an iPhone 3GS with the 'Find my iPhone' app in the trailer with a long-life battery?

This seems so easy I suspect someting must be wrong with this idea.
    Last edited by Paul LeCain; 02.18.12 at 1:26 PM.

Default iphone

Why not get a car adapter and connect the iphone to a full size battery. I would forget to check my battery. Does the Iphone send you an IM when your trailer is moved? That would be $120.00 a year Vs $200.00 outright.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 415

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    The iPhone 3GS costs about nothing right now. Extended-life battery packs cost around $30-40. On any kind of family plan, the additional phone line costs about $10/month.

Why couldn't you put an iPhone 3GS with the 'Find my iPhone' app in the trailer with a long-life battery?

This seems so easy I suspect someting must be wrong with this idea.
    Paul,

The IPhone uses cell data for these functions so you'd also have to have a cell data plan for that phone and it would have to be left ON for pushes to keep the data current. Even the minimum would probably be over $20/month. Good thought though.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 7

Default Peace of mind

Guys as advertisers on this site we provide a fantastic solution for you that is reasonable in price, effective and will protect your cars and trailers. it will track your vehicles in real time and notify you if your battery gets low or is disconnected with its own internal antenna.

We have a special for Apex Speed Members click HERE for your special!

We work with several racing organizations and VARA members, NASA members know that what we provide is the best solution available.

I know all of you think that monthly service is a hassle, but there is a cost for data transfer, and that data transfer carries an expense. Being able to track your vehicles requires an effective way of doing this so it carries a monthly fee to do so. We are inexpensive and work internationally.

Please let me know if you have any questions! I am more than happy to cover all the details of our product how it will outperform a retired cell phone and provide you with the peace of mind you require, just in time for the holidays.

Ron Carter
    ron@geoskyalert.com
    760-576-3003 x 703

Thread Information