Liked: 0

Default Newbie Needs help in Southeast

Hello all John Newcomb here, I have recently aquired what I believe to be a
    very nice car. Of course being new to the class I don't know that much about
    the clutches or two strokes for that matter. I am in the process of a major
    shakedown and some basic upgrades that I feel are needed. I am hoping that
    there is someone that can guide me with proper clutch installation and getting
    it all put in and set up properly. I have new clutches on the way and will be
    trying to install them and set them up perfect. So if anyone in the Southeastern
    area could be of help or if there is a video that I could purchase that could guide
    me thru proper installation, allingment ect. I would be very interested. I have
    been in racing for quite some time and very breifly had a 440 many years ago
    but never had much luck so this time will try other approaches and dig for more
    help and info to try a get myself more informed so that I might have a better
    chance at running at the right end of the races. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated you can send me info to my email jnewcomb@uss.com It is
    my work email so large files I will have to give you my home email for but
    info and all the basic stuff I am there most of the time.

Thanks in advance,
    John Newcomb

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Default Clutch tuning

Hi John,

Welcome back! I have a Clutch Tuning Handbook I can send you. It will give you some insight into basic clutch tuning. From there it's a matter of putting the car on track and tuning them to your liking and best performance for your car and clutches. Send me your address and I'll send it out ASAP. No cost for the book, I simply ask that once you've absorbed what it has to say you please pass it on to another new person in the class.

Additionally, I would suggest you contact Leon at:
    Mitchell Racing Services
    30 N. Gasoline Alley, Suite G
    Indianapolis, IN 4622
    317-244-8189
    mitchellracing@att.net

He can give you a suggested set-up to start with based on your car and clutches. Good luck! And he doesn't mind answering most any question you might have regarding car set-up and preparation.

Ted

Liked: 5

Glad to have you join us. Please tell us more about the car (photos?) and your track plans.

Jim

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

Hi John and welcome to the group. You might want to check out F500.us website particularly the tech info section that covers clutching etc. Also you might want to check out formula500.org which separates into F500 and F600 sections. There will be a lot of good info on both those websites.

Liked: 0

Default Thanks,

Ted,

I bought one of the basic clutch tuning handbooks already. But thanks for the offer
    and I am reading it now. I just know that usaully there are tricks to the trade so to
    speak. Like I heard one person say that they put a peice of 3/8 keystock in the
    secondary and then align it with the stationary side of the Primary. Not sure just now
    to go about things just yet and trying to get some insight. I am also working with Jay
    since the car I have is the Novakar that Bryan won the 07 runoffs in. But anyone who
    knows Jay knows he is a very busy guy and I hope not to be a thorn in his flesh.

Jim,

Thanks for the welcome, I haven't seen you in some time. I am planning on
    running at Rd Atlanta, Memphis, and Barber and if things go really well I may try
    and make the runoffs this year. I'll be 50 and have never been able to afford to
    go and have been working a great deal of overtime this year so far and if things
    will hold out the way they are going now I should be a strong contender. So look
    for me soon I will be there. I want to see how good ole Clint really is. LOL

Capt.

Don't believe I have had the pleasure of ever meeting you yet, But have seen
    some photos of your car. WOW, anyone who takes that much pride in their car is
    good with me. I am in the middle of major renavation of this little car. Hopefully
    it will be as nice as yours. I will post a few shots on here when its done.

Thanks everyone and I can't wait to be out there. Good luck to all.

John

Liked: 5

John:
    "Thanks for the welcome, I haven't seen you in some time. I am planning on
    running at Rd Atlanta, Memphis, and Barber and if things go really well I may try
    and make the runoffs this year. I'll be 50 and have never been able to afford to
    go and have been working a great deal of overtime this year so far and if things
    will hold out the way they are going now I should be a strong contender. So look
    for me soon I will be there. I want to see how good ole Clint really is. LOL"

As you will see in these threads Clint and Dan McMahan have been running F600's since 2009 so you will see us at regionals and Rationals (May 18-20 at RA). I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

Jim

Thread Information