Liked: 0

Default About Brabham BT29 and BT30 Racecars...

I'm pleased to announce two really cool new additions to the BritishRacecar.com article base:

article 1: Murray Sinclair's Brabham BT29 Racecar
    (this is a Formula B car updated to Tasman specs)

article 2: Brad Baker's Brabham BT30 Racecar
    (this is a Formula Two car that now runs without wings...)

By all means, if you spot any inaccuracies in these articles PLEASE let me know so I can fix them. If you're enjoying this article series, please consider tossing some change in the tip jar.

Liked: 2

Default I was the head-wrench on Chassis #003

-- a beautiful black brand new BT-29 that was imported by Fred Opert and owned and driven by John Angus in the Central Division and (occasionally) the Continental Championship series.

A beautiful car, although, at the time, the very nouveau nose-piece looked "upside down" to us! (don't forget this was in the era of Gurney's F1 Eagle-Climax with the "eagle beak," etc.).

I'll read the articles. If I spot anything inacurate, I'll shout it out.

Glad folks take an interest in these neat old cars...

Liked: 29

Chris, good memories. Personally, I'm lovin the whole vintage scene.

Jim Gustafson
    VIO-POV Camera Dealer

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    -- a beautiful black brand new BT-29 that was imported by Fred Opert and owned and driven by John Angus in the Central Division and (occasionally) the Continental Championship series.

A beautiful car, although, at the time, the very nouveau nose-piece looked "upside down" to us! (don't forget this was in the era of Gurney's F1 Eagle-Climax with the "eagle beak," etc.).

I'll read the articles. If I spot anything inacurate, I'll shout it out.

Glad folks take an interest in these neat old cars...
    Chris - are you sure it was chassis 003? The information we had was that it was chassis 1 and I thought that came directly from John Angus.

Default That Black Angus Brabham ---

Here's my recollection, Allen. I believe there were a couple of F2 (or F3) cars built prior to the Angus car. Those stayed in England. The Angus car, as I recollect, was 003 -- but Fred Opert might be the guy to confirm or refute my recollections. It WAS definitely the first of the 29-series cars on this contient.

The car DID come to America after at least a few laps in Blighty. That is, the car was very clean and new, but had fresh oil streaks from its having been run -- and run in the company of other cars. We were told that this was some minor testing that had been done as the new Brabhams were still being played with to arrive at proper set-up numbers, etc.

Anyway, Fred Opert would be the guy to speak with to absolutely nail this down. I think the Angus car that I worked on was #003. It had black Specialized Mouldings bodywork when delivered, but I later saw it at Road America (20 years ago?) and it was then in a lighter livery -- yellow/blue maybe?

If Fred Opert is still with us, he'd be the guy to talk with for confirmation...

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris

Fred is still around and is very helpful but can't remember chassis numbers of course.

jimmight

I have one I'll never use. Zero emotional attachment, just would like to free up some space.

Liked: 11

Default BT29-03

Interesting. I checked my records. I owned BT29-03 for a while. Purchased from guy in Chicago in 1987 as a basket case. Did major restoration. Sold to guy in NY.

What I remember most about that car was fitting in the front shock mounts for attaching front wing that went over the body ...... you had to look under it to see where you were going. Only the first 10 BT29 frames had that fitting. You can find photos of Fred Opert driving such a configuration. Needless to say that feature was short lived, but very cool looking.

It also had very large bag tanks running along each side of the driver. That makes you think a bit. But it was state of the art back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by e-drive115 View Post
    Interesting. I checked my records. I owned BT29-03 for a while. Purchased from guy in Chicago in 1987 as a basket case. Did major restoration. Sold to guy in NY.

What I remember most about that car was fitting in the front shock mounts for attaching front wing that went over the body ...... you had to look under it to see where you were going. Only the first 10 BT29 frames had that fitting. You can find photos of Fred Opert driving such a configuration. Needless to say that feature was short lived, but very cool looking.

It also had very large bag tanks running along each side of the driver. That makes you think a bit. But it was state of the art back in the day.
    That's very interesting. How did you identify it as BT29-3? Did it still have its chassis plate when you acquired it? Can you remember any names? Any previous history before 1987?

Default BT29

Its been a long time ago. I've had 4 of these cars. I either had a number plate, or in one instance rember being able to read the stamping of the tag in the glue that held it on.

Any way ..... I purchased the car from Francesco Paese in Chicago and some time later sold it to Dan Dubrovic in NY.

It was probably the coolest of the ones I owned because of the bi-plane wing set up.

Thanks Gary (it's just dawned on me that you're Gary Dausch).

My notes are confused because I have you down as having owned five cars rather than four. The one mentioned above plus:
    a) a car sold to Dave Vegher (California) which may have been the ex-Roger Seachrist car
    b) a car sold to Tim Gaffney (East Coast)
    c) a car sold to Joe Blacker (same time as Gaffney)
    d) the ex-Harry Reynolds car sold to James King in 1984.

Could you straighten me out on this? And also do your files have a note of who you bought each car from? Do you have a note of chassis numbers or AM numbers on these cars?

Default BT29

You're correct. I forgot one!!

Easily done!

Are you able to help me with previous owners and with identities of the cars? I'm preparing a history of the Brabham BT29 along the lines of this page on the Chevron B19.

Liked: 96

Default Car from milwaukee?

Gary:

Did you buy a BT-29 roller plus some spares from a guy in the Milwaukee area back around the mid 80's?

john f

nice cars
    79 Van Diemen FF/CF

Default BT29

Allen - all of your info is correct, including the Dubrovic car. Now totals 5.

I did purchase a roller in the Milwaukee area which had a spare frame. That frame was repaired and went to Tim Gaffney with parts to rebuild the car.

I took a quick look in my fies this morning. Do not have much info left. Most was passed on with the cars as documentation.

Hope that helps a bit

Liked: 96

Default if olny I knew then what I know now

e-drive115 quote:
    I did purchase a roller in the Milwaukee area which had a spare frame. That frame was repaired and went to Tim Gaffney with parts to rebuild the car.

I was the guy you bought it from. I have always regretted selling that car. I actually bought it as a complete car and ended up parting it out. Had the crazy idea of making a CSR out of it when I got it, but then decided against it. Sold the motor and trans-axle (FT200) to a vintage racer in Chicago, sold a spare frame for it to a guy in North or South Carolina, and then sold the rest to you.

john f

I took a quick look in my fies this morning. Do not have much info left. Most was passed on with the cars as documentation.

Hope that helps a bit
    Unfortunately, some of the cars have changed hands so often that some history has been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by john f View Post
    I was the guy you bought it from. I have always regretted selling that car. I actually bought it as a complete car and ended up parting it out. Had the crazy idea of making a CSR out of it when I got it, but then decided against it. Sold the motor and trans-axle (FT200) to a vintage racer in Chicago, sold a spare frame for it to a guy in North or South Carolina, and then sold the rest to you.

john f
    As one door closes, another opens! So John, what do you remember of the previous history of the car, who you bought it from and roughly when this happened?

Default Are these cars prettier?

Have always wondered if these cars -- say the BT29 -- is far prettier than today's light formula cars. To me, they are... but maybe that's just old-guy stuff.

It would be very interesting to show someone (someone totally uninitiated in auto racing) a photo of one of these eltern cars and say, a contemporary RFR or VD or well, whatever. Which car would be chosen as prettier? Purely from an aesthetic point of view...

Wonder if anyone ever tried this kind of fun experiment...

Chris

Liked: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    Have always wondered if these cars -- say the BT29 -- is far prettier than today's light formula cars. To me, they are... but maybe that's just old-guy stuff.

It would be very interesting to show someone (someone totally uninitiated in auto racing) a photo of one of these eltern cars and say, a contemporary RFR or VD or well, whatever. Which car would be chosen as prettier? Purely from an aesthetic point of view...

Wonder if anyone ever tried this kind of fun experiment...

Chris
    If it helps any, I'm 35 and think the vintage cars are much more visually attractive than the modern stuff.
    Proposition 65 warning:
    WARNING:The preceding post (and everything else in existence) is known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.

Default Great!

And you're right! And it's good to hear.

Default Not a BT29

I have recently purchased a 1965 Mk3B LeGrand Formula C and am looking for information about these cars. Is there any cross over here? I also know I need some LeGrand wheels. Narrow is good but I really don't even know what width would have been used at that time. It has had a long nap and will probably need more to get it to wake up. Any help or clues would be appreciated.
    Brad Green

marry

The most successful BT30 driver was Derek Bell. Driving for Tom Wheatcroft Racing, Bell finished a strong second place in the 1970 Formula Two championship. Tim Schenken drove a BT30 for the Sports Motor International team with pretty good success. Future McLaren star John Watson ran his own independent effort. Carlos Reutemann (then with Automovil Club Argentina) and Howden Ganley (then with Motor Racing Enterprises) also drove Brabham BT30s on occasion.

Liked: 3

Default Brad Green, LeGrand owner

Brad Green, would you please email me off forum

bluesbrother30@yahoo.com

Mike

Liked: 17

I'd have killed for bag tanks. My BT28 had aluminum tanks on each side that ran from the rear bulkhead to rear of the front sunspension. About 16 gallons. I'd guess the aluminum was about two gauges up from Reynolds Wrap. I still shudder to think I ran the car for a year before getting a seat cell.
    GaryJ

Default Late to the party

I am currently researching background for BT29-03 to put it up for sale in the coming weeks. It's been up here in Toronto for many many years and is part of a larger collection of same era cars that I am organising for sale this coming spring.

The current owner is unsure when he bought it but seemed to think that it was in the late 80's - do you have the details of the guy in NY you sold it to?

"I later saw it at Road America (20 years ago?) and it was then in a lighter livery -- yellow/blue maybe?"

The car has been Blue and Yellow while the current owner has had it (Antonio Sabato).

Liked: 3787

Mike Rand contributed this piece of history:
    Note $7925. in 1969 = ~$51,274. 2013 dollars.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 05.12.13 at 11:24 AM.

Thread Information