Liked: 183

Default Hi! I have a few questions

Hi all..

Like a few other autocrossers in my region I think I have caught the CM bug.

At this point I am researching the formula fords, and I would like to find out more information on the different brands (pros/cons).

In particular, when did the pushrod suspension become "standard" equipment? How hard is it to upgrade an older chassis?

I have also been told and read about lengthened chassis. For autocross, I want the shorter wheelbase. When did this change occur? any pros/cons on the lengthened chassis?

I think I have a few ideas on the models available, but if anyone has their favorite chassis, do tell! the more information the better.

What should I be looking for when purchasing a FF car?

How hard is it to import from out of the country (and how do those cars fit in CM???) ?

thanks! and I hope to be joining the ranks sooner than later.

Liked: 309

Default SCCA Forum Thread

Have you browsed the SCCAForums thread started by Peter Calhoun?

Moving to C Mod an Introduction

I believe there are a number of answers to your questions in this thread .

Oh, welcome to the class!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 9

Chris,
    Feel free to email or call me directly. Different car makers changed to pushrod suspension at different times and usually on the front first. Van Diemen got to the back in 90 and then messed it up again in 94 w/ a single front shock(might work for road racing) and in 94 or 95 the wheelbase increased to 98 in from 95 on many brands(again probably works for RR). Probably a lot of trouble to change to push rod, but not impossible.
    Swift is considered the "best" brand and therefore the most expensive, but driver ability is probably more important than car brand. All of the cars at Nationals were 1980 to 1989 and something like 5 or 6 different brands.
    Not having to rebuild the motor is probably the #1 thing to be concerned about. Most older cars have had a "ground up" restoration at some time. The more recent the better. A new fuel cell is a plus. It is also good to get one which has been autocrossed so that it already has the trani mods and at least some suspension set up.
    Most people give up trying to import a car from Canada, but it has been done by some road racers. I think you need to tow it in yourself to make it work.
    I have lots more info, so ask away.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Have you browsed the SCCAForums thread started by Peter Calhoun?

Moving to C Mod an Introduction

I believe there are a number of answers to your questions in this thread .

Oh, welcome to the class!
    I have actually, that thread is long, but it has some very good info in there.

Mark,

thank you for the offer. we will be talking more. I have to see what Ben is doing, and I can't wait to see what Mike is driving... It sounds really exciting.

Liked: 2

Unless you're planning to road race some day, there's no need for pushrod suspension. I think there is some benefit in going with a mid-80's and up car, in that the frame tends to be stiffer and therefore the suspension is easier to tune. But a lot of the gains since then have been in aero, which isn't very important in AX.

Don

Thread Information