View Poll Results: What is the average post-race weight of your FV with driver?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1025-1030

20 33.90%
  • 1030-1040

13 22.03%
  • 1040-1050

11 18.64%
  • 1050-1070

9 15.25%
  • More than 1070

6 10.17%

Thread: FV weight poll

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Default FV weight poll

Let's keep it simple. What is the average post-race weight of your FV with driver?

NOTE: This is intended to gather info about ACTUAL weights, not a vote for what the minimum weight should be.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 0

Since I have a new (to me) car for 2012 and have no idea what the weight will be, I'm going to abstain from responding but I think this is a great start Matt! Thanks. FWIW - I'd take an increase in weight because it would almost certainly benefit me (pudgy guy) but I'm also motivated to lose weight for my own good so a weight change all by itself doesn't really matter to me.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    Since I have a new (to me) car for 2012 and have no idea what the weight will be, I'm going to abstain from responding but I think this is a great start Matt! Thanks. FWIW - I'd take an increase in weight because it would almost certainly benefit me (pudgy guy) but I'm also motivated to lose weight for my own good so a weight change all by itself doesn't really matter to me.
    D13 should be around 840 so just add your weight and another what ever else you think your gear weighs it will be close
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    D13 should be around 840 so just add your weight and another what ever else you think your gear weighs it will be close
    ok thanks - that helps - did want to put out a WAG but with that info I can estimate pretty good
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 18

Matt King asked for ACTUAL not estimate!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

OMG
    People that are more than 10 lbs over won't know their actual weight. Why would they? If you eliminate estimations, you'll just have the light guys weighing in on this poll too!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Maybe we need to weigh everyone to get a exact poll count

I think most people can get a pretty good est of what they weigh

Come on Greg,
    Almost every time you go to impound you get an actual weight. All it takes is knowing car & equipment weight and monitoring body weight.

Cars that are 50 lbs overweight, don't go to impound very often.

The nature of big guys, is that they will declare on the light side, even when not in their best interest. I declared 1050-1070, although the only time I got weighed, it was 1078. While this poll is much better than Chris's thread, it is still going to be 10 lbs lower than an actual physical investigation would provide. It is just human nature that people present their weight lower than reality. I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is. We're all using our "driving weight" which is likely not what we weigh today .... or next time we drive
    Last edited by problemchild; 01.22.12 at 11:32 AM.

Mark,
    Estimating within 20 # can put you in 3 different asswers.

Quote Originally Posted by dangrace View Post
    Mark,
    Estimating within 20 # can put you in 3 different asswers.
    I didn't realize that because I'm over the 1070 and only looked at the bottom 2
    Mark Filip

Keeping my input simple: I believe increasing the min wt to 1050lbs would make heavier drivers think they would be more competitive in FV. I am in favor of increasing the number of participants. 1050 may stop some from leaving the class, induce some to return and entice new drivers to enter the class. The wt increase would only minimally effect the competition. Oh, I am 6'4" 230lbs. I fit comfortably in my Vector GB2, but together we are very heavy. I cannot afford to have a custom carbon fiber body manufactured. I also favor spec tires.
    John

Liked: 5

Matt: it might also be nice to have people vote that actually currently race. People that race even if over weight by a lot,will still weigh there car at the beginning of the year. To see how much over they are.

I use to race Karts and there were 2 classes I could run the pistonport 360 class or 380 lb class. I fit in the 380 class but there was no competition . so I ran 360 and was 20 lbs over weight. I would win from time to time and 200lbs of that was me. So over half the weight of the kart and I was myself. If we need more weight to make the cars safe,then I agree, but that would be the only reason I would want an increase.

Andy pastore went national racing last year,but he was always well over the min by I think steve said 80 lbs and He would kick our butts each weekend. I think driver talent has more to do with winning than weight.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by protoform View Post
    Andy pastore went national racing last year,but he was always well over the min by I think steve said 80 lbs and He would kick our butts each weekend. I think driver talent has more to do with winning than weight.
    Paul,
    It wasn't that high and butts weren't really kicked.
    In the D13 I would be at 1079 to 1085 in the dry and some other ungodly number like 1105 with rain tires on solid rims and a soaked suit.
    So it's more like 55# over.
    I went slower this year in the Citation though (at~1045) so I must have lost any talent I had along with the 40 pounds

-A

Interesting results! As I commented above, this poll is much more useful than Chris's thread, and I suspect a real-world collection of data would shift the curve by 10 lbs.
    However, looking at the results as of Friday morning (Jan 27th), you can definitely see problems. Picking an arbitrary number of 1040, which would represent the value that most would consider as "hurting performance", almost half those polled are above that weight. Choosing 1035 may be a better theoretical number but does not fit within the poll results. Based on these results, I'm surprised more people are not checking their weight at the track. If I was within 10 lbs of minimum, I sure would!

Thread Information