Liked: 29

Default Reconversion back to FV

Wanted to start a thread on the benefits and expenses of converting FST back to FV. What are the costs involved, parts needed, and time frame for work?
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 190

Default Turn about is fair play

Hello Jeff,

Wecome to this area of Apex. Conversion from FST back to FV has been done in the past. In fact, Andy Shelton had a Citation that was dual homologated as both FV and FST. He had all the FV and FST specific parts and could switch it back and forth in about 5 hours.

As for your particular question, it will vary based on the car and how extensive the conversion was when the car was built. Do you have a particular car in mind? There are less than (50) FST's in the US, so good chance we know the car and what it would need to reconvert.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 22

Default Conversion back in time...

I did it a few years ago to a Womer, I wish I had not sold it... I'd be converting it back to an FST. Parts are harder to find and it IS more expensive to build a vee.

Before

AFTER

Liked: 11

And I've got a nice Womer sitting in the garage waiting for someone to buy

Jim

John,

It's funny that you posted that one particular photo. Both the Womer (with Ed himself behind the wheel) and the white BRD were converted back to FV. The BRD ended up a F1200 car up in Canada.

Jeff,

Had to review the master list. Looks like 5 or 6 cars have been reconverted.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.18.14 at 6:40 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 2

Bill,

Not 100% sure but the BRD in the picture with the womer is mine. It is a FV but racing mostly in NE with scca. Robert could confirm that. While I am here, I love FV but FST is lookin better!
    Best,
    Tom

Liked: 2

The head cooling scoops give it away

Tom,

I stand corrected. The car is looking fantastic. Glad to see it is race ready (not parked in a garage).
    Bill Bonow

I had looked at a Citation, having a conversation with the owner. But I think the effort will be more work than necessary. It's something for another time.

Liked: 0

Jeff... It looks like you're based out of Chicago. Why not leave the Citation as a FST, and try our series out for a season? It's some of the best racing I've ever been involved with.

It's a great bunch of guys, and the series has great support from Hoosier tire.

Just a thought.

Jason

Default Great thread

Jeff,

Are you talking about the Citation here: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49595
    If so, the car is well known. Big question for the reconversion, will you use the FV parts from your Mysterian? or will you buy components for a second car? Makes a big difference in the cost.

This will be a good way to show the ease of converting in both directions.
    Bill Bonow

the idea was to build a rental, but I think it may be to ambitious a project for me at this point

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I converted the Womer. It was Ed Womer's second EV3 with small roll hoops. It had become a garage queen that needed new roll hoops, so Ed Womer cut off everything above the frame rails and updated it to his current FV design with the capability to accept a link pin or ball joint beam. I also kept the VW steering box instead of a steering rack which made it easier to go back to a vee. The only parts on that car that were FST specific were the tie rods.

The only reason I kept it so easy to go back to a vee was to have a larger market when it came time to sell. I have owned several FVs and the First was better in every way.
    Last edited by Bob VanDyke; 08.10.12 at 2:19 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar!

Thread Information