Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Default Lola T-620 FSV - Calipers???

I'm working on a 1978 Lola T-620 FSV. Any clue what VW production car the calipers (links to pics below) came from? They have "VW" embossed on them. If they can be purchased new and not too expensive, I'd rather buy four new ones, even if after-market, not OEM. That assumes an aftermarket caliper (NAPA??) fit properly. That is, replace rather than rebuilding the old ones (What a pain!). But.... if not available, I'll have to re-build. Would still need to know what car they're from to chase down rebuild kits.

Any suggestions on what they are, can be replaced, kits available and sources to buy?

http://zoom.host-care.com/~teamterr/underground/image-hosting/Caliper_1.jpg
    http://zoom.host-care.com/~teamterr/underground/image-hosting/Caliper_2.jpg
    http://zoom.host-care.com/~teamterr/underground/image-hosting/Caliper_3.jpg

Any help most appreciated.

Liked: 225

Default caliper

Maybe from a 412. Check out RockAuto.

John

Liked: 190

SRacing has them on the shelf. Same caliper we use in FST. They sell for $45.00 each (with stock pads and hardware). www.sracing.com
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.18.14 at 6:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 947

Default Ate

They appear to be Ate. Possibly Rabbit or Dasher.

Similar to the Varga used in the Type 3 as Bill shows. Genuine Ate are usually $200 each new.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

VW Type 3.

I have a bunch of older ones that would require re-plating and a re-build for a first-class restoration. I've also bought new brazilian ones for my Royale and they worked just fine. Buggy shops crry them. Buy a copy of Hot VWs or Sand Toys and look at the ads in there.

Pads to buy are Porterfield R-3 compound.

Wow. RockAuto is an amazing site. Never used it. But would still need to know which car/year/model to source a caliper for sure.

The Formula FST caliper from SRacing certainly looks similar. Wonder if there is any dimensional info available for that caliper. Couldn't find anything on their site. Just out of curiosity, just how much does a FST car weigh?

I still have to believe that this caliper is off of a specific VW model which would really make for good info to confirm any purchase.

Liked: 190

Robert,

DanW is correct. The caliper in the photo is an ATE knock off. (universal L & R fit, see double bleeders). Find an original ATE part and pay $200 per.

We've (FST types) never had any trouble with the ATE knock-offs.

An FST is 1125 lbs min. post race with driver. A T-620 better be less than that or someone/thing needs to go on a diet
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 2

I would be interested, too. They look pretty similar to something that I have on a project and I have been looking for new calipers.

If you go to Rock Auto and select 1974 VW 412 1.8L hubs and brakes and then caliper you come up with a picture surprisingly similar to what you show. It looks like they will set you back between 45 and 98 bucks with core charge.

The Raybestos FRC 3083 & 3084 (for the '74 VW 412) from RockAuto look spot on. Kinda' puzzling why they show and left and right since they both have double bleeders. Hmmm.

Thanks to all. ApexSpeed is the greatest.

Bill, the T-620 should weight about the same as the FST, so should be no problem using these "knock offs."

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

They are most definitively ATE units as were used on all Super Vees both air and water cooled after about 1974 or so.

Any decent VW or buggie place will have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Any decent VW or buggie place will have them.
    To counter the inevitable parts counter guy these day, "Uh. What er' they off of?", what specific year and model should I ask for?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Not sure because I never had to replace one in 18 years of racing those cars. Just rebuilds.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

1970 Notchback, Fastback or Squareback ought to do. I believe there was only one disc brake size back then and it carried thru the type 3 and type 4 era.

If he looks, I'd bet that all calipers on the cars (vice the Bus) carry the same part number for many years, say, 1969-1974

Liked: 33

Default ATE calipers-f/sv

I've rebuilt the same ATE calipers for my SV with good results.
    I believe Keith Averil can get the kits.
    Averil Racing Stuff in MI.
    Fletch

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    1970 Notchback, Fastback or Squareback ought to do. I believe there was only one disc brake size back then and it carried thru the type 3 and type 4 era.

If he looks, I'd bet that all calipers on the cars (vice the Bus) carry the same part number for many years, say, 1969-1974

Here's a copy of the 1974 "Super Vee Parts Brochure" You might find some useful stuff in it.

Kurt

Thread Information