Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default Question: Oil to Water Heat Exchangers

Warming the oil up was always difficult when I ran Sport 2000s years back. I'm thinking of installing a Laminova oil to water heat exchanger in the FF to help get the oil temperature up to operating temperature quicker. Finding the room to install and plumb one will not be easy. Before I go to all the trouble I thought I would get some real world input first. Any thoughts? Small, Med. or Large size?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

Liked: 0

One of these seems simpler:

http://www.stefs.com/products/oilpre...entpadtype.htm

If you have somewhere to plug in...

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

In the old days before I had an oil to water heat exchanger used a plain old dipstick heater in the top of the tank.

Liked: 3292

I ran one of these on the Pinto FC:

I just ran a heater hose to it from a nipple on the thermostat housing and from it to a nipple on the water cross-over pipe. It mounted under the oil filter in the stock location.
    Last edited by DaveW; 06.24.14 at 3:53 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I ran one of these on the Pinto FC:

I just ran a heater hose to it from a nipple on the thermostat housing and from it to a nipple on the water cross-over pipe. It mounted under the oil filter in the stock location.
    From where? I've found those to be rather unobtanium from the searches I've done. If there is any current info on how to obtain one that would be very helpful. I understand they were on VWs back in the day, but the parts manuals and exploded diagrams I've been able to look at don't seem to show that part anywhere.

TIA.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    From where? I've found those to be rather unobtanium from the searches I've done. If there is any current info on how to obtain one that would be very helpful. I understand they were on VWs back in the day, but the parts manuals and exploded diagrams I've been able to look at don't seem to show that part anywhere.

TIA.

Tim
    Call Quicksilver Race Engines. The exchangesr were in the Zetec kits and no one used them.

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    Warming the oil up was always difficult when I ran Sport 2000s years back. I'm thinking of installing a Laminova oil to water heat exchanger in the FF to help get the oil temperature up to operating temperature quicker. Finding the room to install and plumb one will not be easy. Before I go to all the trouble I thought I would get some real world input first. Any thoughts? Small, Med. or Large size?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig

I just had one put in my zetec car (thanks Eric Langbein). What type of car are you putting it in? There was plenty of room in my side pod it seemed.

-Nick

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

those mocal/laminova units would be really useful on cars with sidepod radiators because you could use the cooler as the crossover pipe IF you had better placement of the oil gozintas and gozouttas. Both at one end on the top or at opposite ends would be the way to go for packaging but you would need some kind of internal baffle like on a 2-pass radiator.

Liked: 49

BAT has those laminova coolers with oil inlet/outlet on the same side, but are more money. I am going to use one on my 94 VD as the crossover pipe, on the floor, in front of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Call Quicksilver Race Engines. The exchangesr were in the Zetec kits and no one used them.
    Thanks, I'll reach out to Erik.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

TIA.

Tim
    I did a quick search for the Mocal donut oil cooler, and, could not find a recent reference for a source. As you said, they may no longer be available.
    Dave Weitzenhof

I hunted for quite a while, even purchased one that was going to work. But it didn't. Finally made the old one work with a little creative engineering.
    Greg Scharnberg

Liked: 1403

I have used several water/oil heat exchangers built by C & R Racing. C & R heat exchangers have worked for me because I was able to use them in place of long streight tubes in the water system.

I have also taken oil/air coolers and built an enclosure around them to pass water.

Liked: 10

TIA.

Tim
    Trans-dapt performance oil filter sandwich adapters

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1313/

click the applications tab for the MANY engines it fits.

FYI my 88 Mustang 5.0 had one. So does our 97 4.6 with automatic trans. The oem Ford ones look different than the linked one.

Dick

Liked: 947

Default Modine Donut Oil Cooler

A certain Googler would be proud of me. I found this after a few creative searches....

http://www.modine.com/download/165cd...d40/44-156.pdf

Searching for a modine cooler with a few of the model numbers did not turn up anything useful, so will send an email to modine.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 43

Could this be the Modine unit in question?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODINE-OIL-C...sories&vxp=mtr

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    Could this be the Modine unit in question?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODINE-OIL-C...sories&vxp=mtr

Good one! I searched for the model 1000 and no luck.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

If I'd have remembered that it was Modine, maybe my search would've turned up something!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 8

Default Like Steve

I too am shy. I like to pass my water while in an enclosure.

Sorry, but I just could not resist

Best, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    I have used several water/oil heat exchangers built by C & R Racing. C & R heat exchangers have worked for me because I was able to use them in place of long streight tubes in the water system.

I have also taken oil/air coolers and built an enclosure around them to pass water.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Thanks guys. I talked to Sandy and he is fitting one to the Fit to see how it works.

I too had looked to C&R to make a radiator with integral oil heat exchanger in it and its all doable. I had just had them do a custom radiator for me year earlier so couldn't pull the trigger on replacing it.

Also thanks for the tips that its a Modine. That has made the googling much easier.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

One thing to consider is that if you have an efficient enough water cooling system you can replace the oil cooler with these thingies. The original RT-4 had a dual radiator and a oil/water heat exchanger that worked brilliantly.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

What temp is to hot for the oil? or to cold?
    79 Van Diemen FF/CF

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    The original RT-4 had a dual radiator and a oil/water heat exchanger that worked brilliantly.
    Pic attached - it's just a regular 13 row oil cooler with an aluminum box welded around it.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default Thank you

Thanks everyone for the information posted here and the emails.

Craig

Thread Information