Liked: 53

Default BRD rear suspension

Does anyone have closeup photos of the BRD setup?
    Also what are your feelings on the BRD unit?

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 200

Not the greatest picture, but you can get a handle of how it works. Next time I am at the shop, I can get a few better detail pictures for you if you wish.

As far as the BRD as a whole goes, it's a really nice, tight, friendly package. I find that the rear suspension is very predictable, and easily tuneable. We have been running two BRDs for the past couple years, and have had good success with them. With the right engine and the right driver, they are very capable to hang with other top national level cars. Guy Bellingham has run many national races, and ran the run offs last year, doing quite well.

The cars themselves are very user friendly. They are very wide open in the back with the bodywork off, so very easy to work on. Engine can come out and back in within 30minutes if you know what you're doing. Being a unique upright seating position, I find that they taylor to karting drivers or drivers coming from tin-tops. The purpose of the seating position was designed to move the CG as far forward as possible, and sacrifice a bit on the z-direction CG.

Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 200

by the way, both of them are for sale in the classified area. We are looking to sell one or two of the three cars that are listed (2 BRDs, one Stiletto) because we want to focus on a small, strong operation for next year...not because they lack in potential! Just too many cars right now...
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Where can you purchase these?
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 20

To me the BRD set up looks like it wants to tear the tubes out of the gearbox with the push rods so horizontal. Anyone ever have any wearing issues with axles or tubes? It looks like a nice compact design.
    Mark Filip

http://vallismotorsport.com/

The best way to reach Bill is by the phone number on the website. He has parts on the shelf. If there is a negative to the system, its that you cannot have an economy version due to the shock absorber requirements. It needs a good shock. The standard version above uses a 10" shock. I prefer the geometry with an 11" shock and normally run that configuration (lower pic).

I have one system on the shelf but I have been too busy to get a shock together for it. I should have it for sale in the new year.

Liked: 3

No real wear issues with the setup, but reinforcing/backup plates for the axle tube retainer/cover are recommended.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    To me the BRD set up looks like it wants to tear the tubes out of the gearbox with the push rods so horizontal. Anyone ever have any wearing issues with axles or tubes? It looks like a nice compact design.
    How much force do you think is being applied to the axle tubes under normal operating conditions? Make an estimate?

Brian

Virtually no one in Canada uses the reinforcement plates. The BRD rear suspension works just fine and has no more or less issues than any other car. Like any FV, when you crash or have extreme curb abuse, you can stretch the axle boot flanges. Under normal use there are no issues.

This suspension has become common because it is truly "bolt-on" and can work with forward or rearward facing trailing arms. It will fit on most any car with only clutch system mods and clears most exhaust systems. It is compact and light.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    How much force do you think is being applied to the axle tubes under normal operating conditions? Make an estimate?

Brian
    I have no clue it just looks like it wants to push out the tubes. I'm not saying it will just asking.
    Mark Filip

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    http://vallismotorsport.com/

The best way to reach Bill is by the phone number on the website. He has parts on the shelf. If there is a negative to the system, its that you cannot have an economy version due to the shock absorber requirements. It needs a good shock. The standard version above uses a 10" shock. I prefer the geometry with an 11" shock and normally run that configuration (lower pic).

I have one system on the shelf but I have been too busy to get a shock together for it. I should have it for sale in the new year.
    Greg:
    Thank you. I talked to Bill today. I think this unit is just what I'm looking for

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 0

I run a BRD with FRCCA. If you still require close up shots of the rear suspension email me and take some and send to you.

What spring rates are typically run with this setup?

Thanks
    MK

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

Default BRD Rear Suspension

I am developing my own version of the BRD suspension for use on any FV or FST. I am figuring between 250-300lb spring. All of my parts are laser cut and I am using roller bearings to reduce friction. Testing will begin soon.

Scott

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

What is the typical distance between the top of the transmission (under the BRD suspension saddle) and the top of the spring? Trying to see how much clearance is required with the exhaust.

Spoke with Bill this morning and this is the one question I forgot to ask...
    Last edited by Jean-Sebastien Stoezel; 02.29.12 at 10:52 AM.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

my BRD ran a 300lb spring i would probably run something a little softer though if i had options at the time
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON
    aandrewwmc at hotmail dot com

Thread Information