Liked: 0

Default Bruns Designed Autoresearch SV

Greetings!

I have been doing some lurking and searching about vintage formula cars, specifically about Supervees from the early part of the water cooled era. I happened across Don Edmunds site and saw the pictures of the Autoresearch Supervee designed, and driven apparently, by David Bruns of Swift fame.

I have not had much success in finding either more detailed pictures or other information about those cars. The site said seven were built. Is anyone currently racing one? What happened to these interesting and creative cars?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

T.C.

If you can find a copy of SCCA's SportsCar mag., from April, '79, they do a feature article compairing the '79 March 79V and the Autoresearch SV. Also , in the same issue, is a showing of all the SV's for sale at that time. A very in-depth look at both the March and the Autoresearch, both very well designed cars. When I was looking for a water-cooled SV, back in '95, I just missed, as a guy in Ca. was selling two Autoresearch's he had as a team.My call was a week or so too late. I found my Wheeler a month later, and like it a lot, but would have jumped at the Ca. car.

Liked: 1

Default AutoResearch Super vee

Chassis number 1 is in Kansas City undergoing restoration, Chassis Number 5 is in our shop in North Central Arkansas also undergoing restoration. As far as I know these are the only two original Autoresearch Supervees left. Jerry

Liked: 309

Jerry, please post some photos and a description of the car if you would. I'm sure everyone here would be interested to know if Bruns' SV design was like the cars he designed while at Swift. Thanks!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Jerry - Who in Kansas City has chassis #1?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I know that one was written off at Indy Raceway Park in 81 or 82 into the barrier at turn 5. Driver got some busted up feet but the car held up fine otherwise in a big impact against a hard barrier.

Liked: 610

Default Autoresearch SV

That would be John Frazer. Folded the car up pretty good, broke both ankles.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    please post some photos and a description of the car if you would.
    Stan,

Found this on the web. '82 at the Detroit GP. Could be Stan Fox driving
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.18.14 at 6:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 13

Post Auto Research Super Vee

Hello,

I was the "Guy in California" with the cars that "Revtom" spoke of..

" I just missed, as a guy in Ca. was selling two Autoresearch's he had as a team. My call was a week or so too late."

That was me. Name is Mike.

I had 4 of the autoresearch super vees & campaigned them in the SCCA San Francisco region back in the late 1980's & early 1990's as FA classed cars. Rob Rhiner, Bill Orrange & Eric Lunn & Ed Campos as well as my self drove them, mostly in Regionals. Rob won the CF regional championship back then in one of my Crossle' 32's & Erick won the FA regional Championship in one of the Autoresearch Super Vees back then as well.

I went down to see Don Edmands & I bought out everything he had that was left of the stuff left over from when they were doing these cars. Bought nose molds, sway bars, control arms, mounts, etc..& tons of other spares stuff.

I probably have some old pictures in the attic as well, I know they are some where up there. Bill Orrange & Rob Rhiner may have a few as well. Not sure about the other guys, but they are all still in the bay area, however none are racing any more. I know Eric works for Toyota factory as a trainer rep., Ed is a mechanical or electrical engineer in silicon valley & Rob Rheiner Recently moved from Discovery bay to the Colorado area. Bill Orange lives in Los Angeles - Pacific Palisades area. I bet those guys have some pictures.

I sold them all off in the 1990's - a couple to a fellow regional racer in Crocket or Benica, Calif or maybe Concord, Ca. . I think he has at least one still sitting in his basement on saw horses. Also sold one to the fellow that runs the vintage shop ( Scott Drnek ) that used to be in Redwood City area right off the 101 freeway. I think he moved the shop over to the east bay area. "Virtuoso Performance" I think it was called. Now located at: Virtuoso Performance --- 21300 Cloud Way -- Hayward, CA --- 94545 --- Phone Line: 510-887-7223 ---Fax Line: 510-887-7224 ---- Email: sales@vprace.com...........

Another ended up with Ed Zwickey in Amarillo, Texas -- I think it was. I am pretty sure it was maybe chassis # 5. As of July of 2010 he still had the car , but it was for sale.

More history on the cars escape me right now, I'll try to remember more when I am not so tired if your interested.

I gave one to my sisters 2nd or 3rd husabnd, a tall Flagger / Tech inspector named John Shettler, a Bay Area guy who worked in the San Francisco region TEC as well. I don't remember what happened to it. Possibly Steve Batnic ended up with it. He now works for VW as an Instructor out in Livermore I think & lives up Nor Cal way in Woodland, Calif.........

I might be able to remember some more stuff for you if your interested & you ask specific questions. The other guys can help some as well.

I liked the cars & they did handle well for a flat bottomed car. Many similarities to the ADF -- FF. We liked the David Bruns designs & went with Swift cars after that. All ran under the "M.A. Racing" banner.

I can try to look up the info if its important. May have a old log book or two -- not sure. Let me know what you need to know. Maybe I can help.

I have some pictures, but not had any luck getting them to post.

Mike
    Last edited by Malfred; 01.02.16 at 4:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Keep it Coming!

Thanks to all who have replied. This is "Racecar Archeology" at its best.

To bring back some of these cars from the Supervee era may not be a moneymaker from a cost/benefit standpoint. Unless a car wears a prancing horse, or carried an F1 champion to victory, it is unlikely to make its current owner rich.

But how great would it be for a thread like this to inspire someone to unearth one of these US built cars that was a long lost example of American ingenuity, and competitive with the best on offer. Although seven cars would not comprise much of a register in comparison to Ralt or March numbers, to account for the current whereabouts of all that could still be restored and enjoyed would be a wonderful testimony for the Apex community.

Who knows, maybe this will inspire the guy who has one sitting on sawhorses in his basement to sweep off the cobwebs and get to work bringing it back to race.

As others have said, pictures in period or current would be fantastic!

TC

Liked: 23

Don Edmunds' son is still living in LA and working in the auto industry. Hey may have info to some who may be in the restoration process.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

FYI:

Virtuoso Performance Owner is Scott Drnek. Contact info is on his website:
    http://www.vprace.com

Liked: 309

There's a pre-restoration photo here of the car Jerry has in his shop.

Link
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

IIRC Bruns had a hand in the design of the Lightning Indy car and there's an uncanny similarity with the SV.

Liked: 947

Default Takes me back..

To my 'yout'.

Straight out of college, I got my first real job with TubeSales, on Tubeway in Commerce California in 1975. (now part of TW Metals) I worked the inside sales desk supplying steel, alloy, stainless, and aluminum tubing to the local aerospace companies like Lockheed, Douglas, Hughes and Rocketdyne. Even had Kelly Johnson from the Skunk Works come visit us looking to mooch samples and flirt with the receptionist. (we let him mooch any thing he wanted, then sent the invoice)

Somebody I worked with on the sales desk hated dealing with the local race shops and COD terms. So I was often on the phone with Phil Remington at AAR, Don Long (drag chassis), Moon Equipment, and others.

The guy I enjoyed working with most was Bill Fowler at Don Edmunds Autoresearch. He was always working on something interesting and was always looking for better ways to fabricate parts or reduce costs. He often faxed me drawings of pieces he wanted to build and I would quote him price and availability of the materials he wanted, or I'd suggest less expensive equivalent like W1020 DOM instead of seamless CD 1018.

He invited me down to the shop in OC several times. I saw the Romlin Lightnings and Supervees built in the shop. I did meet Roman Slobodinsky and Lindsey Hopkins on one of those visits. Another weekend, I was invited to Bills home and saw his collection of turn of the century stationary engines and steam locomotive projects. Great guy.

From Don's personal web page:
    http://donedmunds.com/fullsize/supervee/index.htm

Several years of the California 500 at Ontario motor speedway, Fowler would send me tickets, VIP parking pass, and paddock passes. My youngest brother and I would walk through the paddock and enjoy the sights and sounds.

Bill introduced me to Jim Toensing (owner of a GT40 with four cam Ford Indy motor mounted in the back) and John Burgess, curator of the Cunningham Museum in Newport Beach. This was an amazing museum, that included the GM Corvette open wheel concept research car, Mrs. Cunningham's pearl white over pink Muira S, the original MOONeyes dragster, and a Bugatti Royale.

When Cunningham passed, the collection was sold to Miles Collier, and much of the collection was split up and sold. Miles mostly wanted the racing Porsches in the collection.
    Last edited by DanW; 12.07.11 at 2:01 AM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 63

Default AutoResearch Super Vee Update

I have bought number 4 This is the car that was driven by Stan Fox.
    Anyone has any questions please message me.

Jeff

Default SV's

Good to hear another SV surface; hope to see you on the track with her!

I am restoring it to the same condition it was in when Stan ran it with Pabst Sponsorship.
    I have been in contact with Steve Lewis and Don Edmunds both.
    I am going to San Francisco to pick it up today and will have it back home tomorrow.

Liked: 13

Hey Michael? do you know which car this is? I would think a very early one going by the flat bottom and the wheels.......not the centerlines used later.

Jeff

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Quote Originally Posted by socaljeff3798 View Post
    I am restoring it to the same condition it was in when Stan ran it with Pabst Sponsorship.
    I have been in contact with Steve Lewis and Don Edmunds both.
    I am going to San Francisco to pick it up today and will have it back home tomorrow.
    Did the sponsorship involve Rudy Pabst by any chance?
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

It was Augie Pabst

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Rudy's cousin.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Oh OK. I take it you know him

Liked: 83

Why not email Don Edmunds through his web site, he is a great guy. I had the wonderful privilege of being able to hang around his shop some in the 60's. He even let me work on my first race car there which I had bought from a friend who worked for him.

David

Thanks David. I was there in the early 80's and know Don. I have already talked with him. He thinks he may have the original drawings as well.
    I also know Steve Lewis and knew Stan Fox as well. During that period I was on the crew for Sleepy Tripp.
    I also went to Phoenix and brought the car back after the last race.

Jeff

Default Log Book Found!

A huge thank you to Mike for spending a lot of time looking for the Log Book. He found it!
    Awesome Mike!

The more history I can find the better.
    I will have it posted on my facebook page. under jefffv@yahoo.com

Jeff

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information