Liked: 53

Default The Lazer Project's Future

FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE

Big Flats, NY - Amy Lynn Racing, LLC proudly announces the recent acquisition of the Lazer Formula Vee project from Campbell Motorsports, Inc. Amy Lynn Racing owner G. Brian Metcalf is in the process of setting up an manufacturing / preparation facility to support the current MK II and MK 2.5 designs, in addition to moving forward with the next evolution of the Lazer the MK III.

Jerry Knapp of Elite Autosports, Inc. of Cokato, MN, designed the original Lazer L-85 in 1984. The L-85 was first raced at the runoffs in 1984 to a fourth place finish by Jerry’s son Steve. It was after the runoffs that the first production L-85s were built. In October 1987 Campbell Motorsports, Inc. purchased the Lazer Project from Elite Autosports. Campbell Motorsports continued to manufacture and distribute the Lazer until the recent acquisition by Amy Lynn Racing, LLC.

Campbell Motorsports owner Larry Campbell of Menominee, MI also manufactures and distributes the Citation and XTC41 Formula Vee as well as the Evolution Formula First.

Amy Lynn Racing LLC would like to thank Larry Campbell for all his help in making this transition as easy as possible, Nancy Williams for recording the information sessions and assisting with the transportation of the assets to Amy Lynn Racing’s storage facility, and all the Lazer owners and drivers for all their input over the last few months. We look forward to serving the Lazer community with the highest quality Formula Vee and parts. Amy Lynn Racing will continue to improve the Lazer to make it what it was meant to be, a front running Formula Vee at all levels.

The MK III will be a roomier more suitable design for the average to large driver. Keeping the aesthetics and beauty of the Lazer, with allowing the driver’s compartment to be expanded. The MK III is in the concept stage and we at Amy Lynn Racing are looking for your input to improve the drivability and the comfort of the Lazer.

Feel free to contact us at amylynnracing@yahoo.com

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Default Facebook page

Ive added a facebook page for Amy Lynn Racing, if anyone is interested.

Its a work in progress......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amy-Ly...65475796811174

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 190

G. Brian,

The Laser has to be one of the best looking FV ever built in production. The only drawback was the size requirements for the driver. They had a stigma of being called "A young mans car"

I'm really looking forward to your Mk 3 version of the Laser FV. With increased cockpit room, it should really draw a new market/crowd.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 1417

Yeah, it was even tight for me at 5'11" and 145 pounds. Felt like a sausage in a bun, but I did love the looks of the car. Fix the room issue and the cockpit opening size so that it could be a legitimate FST conversion, and I'd be all over it.

Liked: 2

Wow, congrats and best wishes!!

Liked: 174

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Yeah, it was even tight for me at 5'11" and 145 pounds. Felt like a sausage in a bun, but I did love the looks of the car. Fix the room issue and the cockpit opening size so that it could be a legitimate FST conversion, and I'd be all over it.

Well at 5'9" 224lbs my shoulders stick outside the chassis about 3 to four inches on a side. I have been studying the chassis Larry tacked together for me and I can see where I can widen the cockpit but the body is the problem. I will be using a different body and a complete new chassis for the first few prototypes but I plan on making a wider Lazer body when the budget allows. I dont want to bugger up my molds as it would mess with the ability to service the cars out there.
    G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

The car was designed around Steve Knapp. He 's at least 6'4", that's why the frame rails were notched and plated so you can sit on the floor of the car .

Dave

Dave:
    I have the drawings of the 2x4 frame rails showing the cutouts.
    Larry went with the 1x3's to give your butt a little more room my issue is my shoulders.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Default The prototype body is in!!!!

I picked up the new MK3 prototype body yesterday. It looks awesome!!
    Check out the Facebook page for photos.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 67

Yes, that looks very cool. Can't wait to see it on a car. And then on the track!

Jim

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Is this a new custom bodywork? Somehow it reminds me of the one used for the wasp project by Dunlap Motorsports

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...highlight=wasp
    Last edited by Jean-Sebastien Stoezel; 03.02.12 at 3:40 PM.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Photo's ????

Yes, that is the body I will be using for the prototype Mk3. Steve is a very talented guy and the Wasp body is sleek, smooth and wide enough to fit my sholders in. A wise man once told it isn't what you know, but who you know. I know I am not a fiberglass guy and I didn't want to bastardized my molds because I would lose the ability to service the cars that are out there. So I saw Steve's awesome Wasp body and asked if I could use it for the Mk3 and he thought if he could help another fledgling car builder he would. I think Steve's body on my Mk3 chassis is going to be a great combination. People like Steve, Larry, all you here on Apex, and the team of guys I have here are the reason I chose to come back to formula Vee.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by jstoezel View Post
    Is this a new custom bodywork? Somehow it reminds me of the one used for the wasp project by Dunlap Motorsports

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...highlight=wasp
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Photo's ????
    As you wish.

There ya go... This is a starting point I am going to tweek a couple things on the body, but it will basically remain the same.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Nice! Thanks!

Mark

Liked: 33

Default WASP fst situation

in jstoezel's post with the link to the WASP fst it looks completed and track ready, yet awhile ago I saw posts of all the WASP specific stuff for sale. What happened with the car? Did it ever see the track? just curious

on a side note that is definitely great looking bodywork! definitely a good choice

Default Chassis mock up

I was lucky enough to have a couple of friends over tonight to do some fiberglass work and they decided to help me mock up the chassis for the Mk3.
    The Lazer's front and rear roll hoops are being used in this mock up along with some 2x3 and 1x3 tubing I had kicking around the shop. See what you guys think.

G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 72

the car is really coming along and is a serious upgrade from the prior body. Just make sure the fan shroud fits, there will be questions based on the pictures. nice job
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    the car is really coming along and is a serious upgrade from the prior body. Just make sure the fan shroud fits, there will be questions based on the pictures. nice job
    just checked today the fan shroud fits.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Default Roll bars

I wasn't happy with how the Lazer's roll bars fit in the body so I will be purchasing a new die set for my bender this week to make the rear bar fit the body. I will also be looking at increasing the rear hoop size to 1.5"x.095w, with my butt in the car I'd feel safer with the 1.5" plus up here it's easier to get then 1.375".

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

The third version of the MK3 chassis.
    I know I might have gone overboard....

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 72

Looks really strong. If you use .095 for all that tubing you may kill the scales. Will your program calc weight? Nice job though.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by gbmetcalf View Post

The third version of the MK3 chassis.
    I know I might have gone overboard....

G.
    so the engine and transaxle are stressed members???

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    so the engine and transaxle are stressed members???
    The rear section is under construction at the moment. I'm not sure quite which direction I want to go with it. Have it as a welded structure to the rear bulkhead or have it removable. I'm still looking into which makes more sense. I'm leaning twards having it welded to the bulkhead with removable upper supports as in the Mk2.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    Looks really strong. If you use .095 for all that tubing you may kill the scales. Will your program calc weight? Nice job though.
    The main frame rails, roll structures, upper and lower side bars are .095 everything else is .083 or .080. The side bars may be lightened up once I get tacking it together.

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 3

Default Fan Shroud

Hey Brian:

There isn't a fan shroud rule in F1st. The Body work will comply with the FV shroud rule if you are building a VEE
    with room to spare. The FV that is running nationals (Landon) Has a rear clip that is
    angled to the base line. They didn't check the clearance including the engine angle and
    it had a clearance error. The new Wasp chassis drops the engine and there is no problem.

Steve D

Thread Information