Liked: 4

Default fm for hillclimb?

I've been looking and reading about fm's for a few months now.
    Would it make a good hillclimb car, or am I nuts?
    I currently run a FP miata at our PHA ( pa . hillclimb assc,) events.
    Looking to step up, want somthing dependable.
    Last edited by tmurph; 11.22.11 at 7:35 AM.

Liked: 2

I don't know how it would fair, but a local group has been trying to get me to bring my FMto their hill climb. Would have to change gear ratios from what I run on the road cource to get a better launch. The front wings are a little suseptible to hitting cons. amd could damage them or the nose. Not sure you would get enough speed to make the front wing effective, but if you removed the wing, it could avoid damage.

Let us know how it works for you.

Liked: 3787

Add a turbo and an intercooler and it could be competing for FTD. Just put a WoO wing above the roll bar to eliminate the front wing problem.

There was a turbo rotary 'powered 84 Reynard up in them there hills about 12 years ago...

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Add a turbo and an intercooler and it could be competing for FTD. Just put a WoO wing above the roll bar to eliminate the front wing problem.

There was a turbo rotary 'powered 84 Reynard up in them there hills about 12 years ago...

I believe that Reynard has moved to a warmer climate (S.C.) and is for sale.

Tim - don't worry much about cones, it's those rocks and trees that can ruin your day!
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutchins View Post

Tim - don't worry much about cones, it's those rocks and trees that can ruin your day!
    Looks like a good Formula S car. Just need to set that big wing up for automatic DRS like the FM at the ARRC.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 36

Wow, John Finger is still around. I remember him building those rotary powered hill climb cars as far back as 1980.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 2

Default Holy Cow!

Now that is a wing.!Wonder if they get more downforce from the weight or the aero forces.

The hillclimbs around here are a little tighter on the turns due to space limitations etc. Some have 180 degree turns and hard pressed to make them with the FM. But what the heck, it's still fun.

Liked: 3787

I watched that car run at Roebling Road sometime around 1998. With the wing his top speed on the long straight was about 110... but his lap average was around 100. No lift during the whole lap. It was wild crazy.

I remember the only weak link at that time were the '84 Reynard front axles. They had a tenendcy to snap.

Liked: 0

That Reynard is a nice looking car, is it advertised for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    Now that is a wing.!Wonder if they get more downforce from the weight or the aero forces.

The hillclimbs around here are a little tighter on the turns due to space limitations etc. Some have 180 degree turns and hard pressed to make them with the FM. But what the heck, it's still fun.

are there turning limitations in a fm ???
    The hills we run have tight turns , and also a jump.

Liked: 553

Good question about the turning radius. I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I think a CFM would be a fantastic hill climb car. Super reliable, stout, easy to get parts for, fits almost any driver, reasonable price. The five speed trans should be pretty good for gear ratios. It sounds like a blast.

I've never done a hill climb. It's on my bucket list, and we've got some pretty good ones in the southeast. Someday ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by khatchik View Post
    That Reynard is a nice looking car, is it advertised for sale?

Check out http://johnfingerracing.com/for-sale/
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Quote Originally Posted by tmurph View Post
    are there turning limitations in a fm ???
    The hills we run have tight turns , and also a jump.

tmurph - My FF had the turning radius of a bus and we have some pretty tight switch backs at Eagles Nest and Wolf's Ridge. I never had any trouble.

I have run Wolf's Ridge and Weatherly and Polish Mountain and not had any trouble in my FM.
    Usually the trouble you have with a formula car is ground clearance if the road has a lot of crown - then raise the ride height a little.

If Darryl can drive an Indy car up your Northeast hills, you won't have difficulty in a Formula Mazda.
    Last edited by Dave Cutchins; 11.24.11 at 4:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Liked: 202

Although he hasn't run in a couple of years, Steve Tompkins (tompkins -at- vol -dot- net) of Chattanooga ran an FM at many of the SEDiv hill climbs in the past. He would be able to give you a first-hand report.

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default hey murph

welcome to our site
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 9

Default Todd Cook's your man

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

He helped develop the original FM 25+ years ago and was the chief scrutineer for the Star series back in it's standard car heyday. Not sure what this car is, but he modified and ran the $hit out of a std FM at Pikes Peak and other hill climbs for years.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Thank you all !

OK , I am sold on the idea, Now I need to find one ..( close to Pa. preferred ) right now they all seem to be in tx. and calf. Help needed.

Dave ,,I will need lots of advice...

Jer, thank you for the welcome, ( see you dec 10th? )
    tm

Liked: 0

My FM is for sale and ready to win. It's in CA but the tow would be totally worth it.

Contributing Member

I was toying with the idea of starting with a FM and and fitting a 3-rotor with a turbo, however a friend who does a fair amount of hill climb figured that's not quite the way to go. He swears that a large flat-bottom sport-racer with a bike-derived V8 would do the trick. Apparently the downforce you generate under body is a lot more efficient than with wings, which will really limit your top speed.

That and if you throw that much power into a chassis not meant for it, you will pretty much have to redesign everything else.

tmurph - My FF had the turning radius of a bus and we have some pretty tight switch backs at Eagles Nest and Wolf's Ridge. I never had any trouble.

I have run Wolf's Ridge and Weatherly and Polish Mountain and not had any trouble in my FM.
    Usually the trouble you have with a formula car is ground clearance if the road has a lot of crown - then raise the ride height a little.

If Darryl can drive an Indy car up your Northeast hills, you won't have difficulty in a Formula Mazda.

Timm,

Any luck on your search?
    Here is a vid to keep you motivated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhdpLU2ofA
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Deposit on Curt's car.

Dave .. Great video.. nice long twisting hill.
    I will watch often.
    can't wait.
    Last edited by tmurph; 01.19.12 at 10:46 PM.

step one , purchase car.......DONE .. (this might have been the easist part)

step two, LEARN how to drive all over again......going to take some time

1) hewland gear box.... (this sure is going to take alot of practice)
    Best advice so far, Don't baby it!

2) turning radius..... ( missed my own driveway when I brought it inside the house .)

3) Ride height.... going to have to raise it up for the hills, looks like its now 7/8" at the steel angle( drag area ).

4) learning the motec....Co-driver Dans department, his lap top refuses to speak with it so far. I think its the generation gap factor.

SO FAR....

Installed big ass battery for the multiple starts that we go thru in a day. ( 20+)
    We added 10 lbs to the car with that, but it will be worth the peace of mind.

Chase cam modules mounted neatly , tucked in, covered by the nose. Hooray
    Dan. Nothing like having all your f ups recorded to learn from. It really helped when the Miata used to cut out.

next up ....
    1) bead seat for Dan ( I am the same size as the seller)

2) figure out if we can run A'6's on the hills.

no body paint work the first year, don't want to jinx it .

Quote Originally Posted by tmurph View Post
    step one , purchase car.......DONE .. (this might have been the easist part)

step two, LEARN how to drive all over again......going to take some time

1) hewland gear box.... (this sure is going to take alot of practice)
    Best advice so far, Don't baby it!

2) turning radius..... ( missed my own driveway when I brought it inside the house .)

3) Ride height.... going to have to raise it up for the hills, looks like its now 7/8" at the steel angle( drag area ).

4) learning the motec....Co-driver Dans department, his lap top refuses to speak with it so far. I think its the generation gap factor.

SO FAR....

Installed big ass battery for the multiple starts that we go thru in a day. ( 20+)
    We added 10 lbs to the car with that, but it will be worth the peace of mind.

Chase cam modules mounted neatly , tucked in, covered by the nose. Hooray
    Dan. Nothing like having all your f ups recorded to learn from. It really helped when the Miata used to cut out.

next up ....
    1) bead seat for Dan ( I am the same size as the seller)

2) figure out if we can run A'6's on the hills.

no body paint work the first year, don't want to jinx it .

I'll bet your learning curve will be short! The turning radius should not be a problem on "them thar PA Hills".
    Ride height 1.25" to 1.75" should be OK.

I still sometimes forget it's a 5-speed. Download the Hewland manual to help identify the internals if you're changing gears or just inspecting for wear.

I had the same problem with getting a computer to talk to my Motec. You need to have the correct cable and software for a start. Last year at Polish Mountain 5 different laptops refused to play nice with the Motec. A friend back home had the only computer known to mankind that would talk to mine ( I was thinking of having his computer insured with Lloyds of London). Finally, he gave me an old laptop that works(whew!!)
    Looking forward to the start of the season - see you then.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Idlof View Post
    http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

He helped develop the original FM 25+ years ago and was the chief scrutineer for the Star series back in it's standard car heyday. Not sure what this car is, but he modified and ran the $hit out of a std FM at Pikes Peak and other hill climbs for years.

Actually it was this same car; a modified Wells Coyote. There are FM parts on it of sorts today and the original tranny was and FM with a 7:31 R&P in it. Today.... a custom Mendiola based box with MK5 gears, Ford 9" and FM carrier/shifting assembly. And widened std car FM wings (rear) on both ends on my car.

SPECS

VIDEO (long intro)

Thread Information