Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 49

While we're on this topic..

Let's say I have an interest in engineering, particularly mechanical. I'd love to know more about it and I try to read stuff that is specific to an application (i.e. race car dynamics, or aerodynamics, or materials..) but have trouble understanding advanced topics since I lack knowledge of basic engineering stuff. Language is a problem as well, as even though I studied math and physics in university for a little bit, we weren't doing it in English. Well, math is pretty universal, but you get the idea!

Even if I'd love to do it, going back to school is not gonna happen. Well, not for a while, at least.. So given that I don't want or need a degree, how can I learn basic engineering principles on my own? I'd love to hear recommendations for introductory text books, online courses or any other suggestions

Basically, I want to read stuff like the Miliken book and understand what's going on

Thanks in advance!

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post

Basically, I want to read stuff like the Miliken book and understand what's going on

Thanks in advance!
    I believe these are the (much more recent editions) Statics & Dynamics texts I used in college. I believe they are 2D dynamics mostly and only cover 3D as a late chapter advanced topic, and Milliken obviously get into 3D, but these will be a good start. Note the perquisites for these courses were a few quarters of Calculus. Both of these courses were sophomore level when I went and there was a requirement for a upper division dynamics class that started with 3D and frankly was very happy to have taken a Linear Algebra course prior as well. Then there was also the senior Mechanical Vibrations elective.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Me...dp/0471739316/
    http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Me...dp/0471739324/
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 12

MIT has an interesting online initiative, where they publish (for free) video lectures, lecture notes, homework assignments, etc for many of their courses. Try this link. I'm biased, of course, but I believe MIT is the finest engineering school in the world, so it might be worth a try.

Course 2 (MIT calls their majors by number, not name) is mechanical engineering and Course 16 is aeronautical engineering, so those would have the courses most applicable to motorsports. You'll probably want to look at some of the Course 18 (math) classes as well.

Nathan

Liked: 49

Thanks Nulrich - I should have thought of that, I've watched a couple MIT lectures (there's a really cool one on rainbows :P)

Funnily enough, when I was a teen and before I got sucked into the visual effects world, my dream was to study engineering at MIT.

Tim, thanks for the links! I'll add those to my list

For anyone else interested, even though I still have most of my math textbooks, I've been looking at Khan Academy and so far I'm enjoying their math stuff. Pretty cool initiative, too..

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Let me guess. Nathan was a janitor at MIT who was secretly wicked-smart, and he solved a problem put on a blackboard in the hallway as a joke. After being discovered by an esteemed Fields Medal winning mathematician, the rest is history. I'd like to hear if he ever made it to California and caught up with Minnie Driver.

Liked: 12

Not quite. She isn't Minnie Driver. But I do like caramels.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Probably for the best. But one can't help but wonder what the car would have been named if that were the case.

Liked: 276

'Nuther BSME here, in Automotive Engineering in tha D.

Wanna go racing? Then don't pursue Motorsports as a profession. I have ready access to such a job, and definitely would never be able to race like I want to, if I were spending all my free time during race season supporting others racing.

Get a good degree from a decent school, then get a job that'll pay well enough that you can afford to do whatever you want in your spare time.

Another observation: I was Engineering Physics (basically Nuclear Engineering, with more of an advanced physics focus - at RPI, if you must know) for nearly the whole time in school, until things got serious - Senior year. Then I realized that, while all that physics stuff was interesting... the job market for Nuclear Engineers wasnt' much of a growth industry.

I switched at the last minute to Mechanical. You can do just about anything with a Mechanical degree - by which I mean pretty much any field, etc. It's kinda like a crescent wrench of degrees - it'll always fit well enough to be useful.

Besides, all the jobs are about on-the-job training anyway; the stuff they jam down your throat in school is mostly useful only as background, if at all. The degree is the key to open the door, not the tool you need to do the job...

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

1) Be real selective in your school search. We hired one ME lately whose experience at college did not include thread callouts "10-32? What's that....."

2) Whether it's EE, ME. ChME, or any other Engineering, it all starts with Mr Newton. Pay attention to physics and first principals - your ability to be a good engineer depends on it.

3) If you want racing to be your hobby don't let it get too close to your job, or you probably won't find it relaxing any more. YMMV

4) In this economy, it makes more sense to be in school than looking for a job

5) the hands-on aspect is extremely important. A EE who is also a decent tech (can solder and build harnesses) or a ME who can machine and weld (and dimension properly) is worth several of the textbook variety. It's astounding how many engineers I know who are incompetent at servicing their car, house, and have no practical experience building stuff.

6) on that note - it's ALL about making stuff, and breaking stuff, understanding how, and understanding why. Everything else is just career progression BS (which is important, but too much of one won't make up for lack of the other)

7) nowadays an expert level of proficiency with Mathcad and some form of solid modeling is pretty much a necessity.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default MIT

Looks like a pretty cool way to gain some knowlege from the best: http://www.ocwconsortium.org/
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 276

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    5) the hands-on aspect is extremely important. A EE who is also a decent tech (can solder and build harnesses) or a ME who can machine and weld (and dimension properly) is worth several of the textbook variety. It's astounding how many engineers I know who are incompetent at servicing their car, house, and have no practical experience building stuff.
    Especially this!!
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 0

Default community college

I'm kinda a different from the guys in this thread BUT i do have advice for u when it comes to community college

I was kicked out of highschool and couldn't even do pre-algebra when I was there! Now I'm working toward a Phd in Physics!

Ok with the community colleges here is my advice:::::

I wouldn't get a full two year degree from a CC, they put alot of fluff in there and u will burn a whole lot of time/money taking classes that will not go toward an ME degree. Yes the school may tell u it will transfer to a local college but ....transfer as what?! unsually nursing or below college level credits! They are in the business of making money just like everyone else! so as matter of fact I wouldn't even follow a degree program at a communtiy college. The best thing to do is take all the required math classes til u get to the top one offered at the math department. The top level classes will either be calc3, linear algebra, differential Equations........ take them all! while ur taking those work in the english classes to get the the top level classes. feel free to thow in a couple classes outside of this for other interests and to take a break from number crunching and paper writing.

The other about school..... don't believe anyone who tells u "this math class is hard! " I can't tell u how many times I've heard that and thought "why were they saying that?" when i was taking it. you'll hear that alot about trig...calc...linear algebra...diff eq!

when u have done this most any university or college will except u into the program. Having alot math out of the way with good grades will make u look like a very good transfer applicant to an engeering program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information