Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

1) I believe the FSAE rear suspension rules are completely open.

2) Wouldn't the solid axle also be cheaper when discussing possible accident damage?

3) Those coming form kart or shifter competition are not going to be bothered by the solid axle.

4) F600 does not have to a perfect design as a transitional car to upper formulas.

We have a shifter we play in. It is going to be hard to keep my kid (driver) in my FV after he sees a F600. Looks like I am going to be learning a new skill set @ the age of 62.

Brian

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    2) Wouldn't the solid axle also be cheaper when discussing possible accident damage?
    Of course it depends on what parts gets wiped out. Wipe both of them out and of course the IRS rear will be more expensive, but all the hits where the IRS damage is limited to everything outside of the outer CV not so much. That same type of hit will likely wipe out most everything attached to that solid axle. I'll take my chances and go with the solid axle.

Liked: 896

Default New F600 class

As all of you know the new F600 rules that would make F600 a seperate regional/national class have been posted in the preliminary CRB minutes here:

http://www.scca.com/assets/Prelimina...tes_v2b%20.pdf
    and here: http://www.scca.com/assets/Preliminary_December_TB.pdf

The purpose of this post is to make CERTAIN that all of you are aware that this proposal requires your input to be approved. Remember that your previous letters of approval DO NOT COUNT. You must send in a new letter if you want F600 to be a new class next year. This is very important, this class will not happen without your support.
    There have been over 1700 views and 3 pages of posts on this forum here at ApexSpeed. Also at the Eformulacarnews F600 forum there has been nearly 2500 views and over 8 pages of posts here: http://formula500.org/viewtopic.php?t=3928&start=0

Please send your well reasoned and well thought out letters at this link: www.crbscca.com and send your letters NOW, they must be received by December 15th (I believe).

Please help make this class happen. It will grow and it will bring new members to the SCCA and open wheel racing.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    The purpose of this post is to make CERTAIN that all of you are aware that this proposal requires your input to be approved. Remember that your previous letters of approval DO NOT COUNT. You must send in a new letter if you want F600 to be a new class next year.
    Letter sent:
    Letter ID Number: #6687
    Title: Support for creation of F600
    Class: AS
    Request:
    I am writing to express my support for creation of the proposed "F600" class. This new class should be approved as quickly as possible. In light of the recent actions taken suspending use of the participation limits, I would also request that it be granted national status.
    If T-3 can retain national status, F600 should be there as well.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 5

I am hoping that for the spec coil-over shock, a competitive bid process be conducted to determine the best low price choice. All that is needed is a complete list of spec's for bidding.

Also, we are starting up a F600 rental business (based in Atlanta). Here is our partially completed website - www.formula600racing.com
    For more videos select the media tab and enjoy - set your volume level on LOUD!!

Jim
    Member - F600 Committee

Default What to build from scratch

For those of you who are posting that you want to build a car from scratch right now
    here is one approach.

IMHO:

If I was starting from scratch, I would use the existing F500 dimensions as a starting point, go with a F500 sports car nose for the wider footbox/main frame rails in the cockpit (I am a big driver) and lengthen/widen the chassis and the bodywork to fit my body from the main hoop to the foot pedals. The rest of the additional length would be aft of the MC to enable a direct chain drive from the PTO to the tubular axle w/4 piston caliper and then lengthen the side pods to close up the gap to the rear tires. I would stay with the 10" wheels with 18" tires and use the 2" x 2" rubber pucks & rocker arms, initially. Later, as the coil over shock rules get defined better along with a spec shock being published then I would convert over to them with some major test 'n tuning called for. I probably will not use a swaybar or a dry sump as they are unnecessary. All tubeframe with some stressed aluminum panels and fiberglass bodywork from a F500. Buy the latest year GSXR600, modified harness, reprogrammed ECU, custom coated header/muffler, remote oil cooler/filter, modified oil pan, paddle shifter, all the heat shielding I can fit along with cooling naca ducts. Last, all the data logging/display needed along with the essential warning lights. This is an overview which is not all inclusive.
    All of this, ready to race, for under $25K.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    I am hoping that for the spec coil-over shock, a competitive bid process be conducted to determine the best low price choice. All that is needed is a complete list of spec's for bidding.

Also, we are starting up a F600 rental business (based in Atlanta). Here is our partially completed website - www.formula600racing.com
    For more videos select the media tab and enjoy - set your volume level on LOUD!!

Jim
    Member - F600 Committee
    For sure we will be working hard to come up with shocks that meet our cost requirements from specific suppliers. We already have 2 companies committed to supply us with top quality single body double adjustables for under $500 retail.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

WRITE LETTERS TO THE CRB

Do not forget to send your letters of support for the new F600 proposal to the CRB. It only takes about 5 minutes.

www.crbscca.com

Thanks ... Jay Noval

Liked: 0

Default F600 irs spool

Time to start building an F600 with IRS/SPOOL for the eventual and inevitable acceptance in F600. Make it a claiming rule class like MOTO GP has gone to for next year to contain the cost that not even the factory Honda or Yamaha or Ducati can even afford and eventuall resulted in Suzuki pulling out all together from MOTO GP.

[quote=4wheeldrift;321165]Time to start building an F600 with IRS/SPOOL for the eventual and inevitable acceptance in F600.

I would not do this.

Jim

Default F600 IRS

Would a rigid mount no suspension solid rear axle be a viable alternative? It would be like a 600 powered solid axle go kart. Then to tune the rear suspension you would need several axle flex/wall thicknes for tuning . Would the ride qaulity pound your fillings loose? would the tires live for more than a few laps? Are 13" tires allowed or 10"?

Liked: 113

Default suspension not required.

I do not believe a suspension would be required. Based upon comments of drivers from F440 circa 1980 i would not advise it.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldrift View Post
    Would a rigid mount no suspension solid rear axle be a viable alternative? It would be like a 600 powered solid axle go kart. Then to tune the rear suspension you would need several axle flex/wall thicknes for tuning . Would the ride qaulity pound your fillings loose? would the tires live for more than a few laps? Are 13" tires allowed or 10"?

Karting type axle mountings would never work at this weight for the car. The very first F440s we rigid an they broke EVERYTHING. I would not go that way at all.

The suspended live axles as per the F600 rules have proven to be very functional in both F600 and F500. They do work.

10" wheels or 13" wheels are allowed, no mixing of 10" & 13" allowed though.

Thanks ... Jay NOvak

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default F440

I remember the first solid suspension system F440s from the old days at Brainerd. They would all come in from qualifying and go straight to the welding trailer for chassis repairs. Quite a parade.
    It was also fun to look at the paint chips on their helmets from wacking the roll bar every time they went over the drag strip starting pad.
    Marty

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Nygard View Post
    I remember the first solid suspension system F440s from the old days at Brainerd. They would all come in from qualifying and go straight to the welding trailer for chassis repairs.
    Reminds me of my old Red Devil at Nelson Ledges......always carried a welding rig to that track.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 309

Karting type axle mountings would never work at this weight for the car.
    Begs to differ!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Cool video!
    I was worried the guy might fall out and ruin that nice shirt he was wearing.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Definitely one of my favorite videos Stan. We used this video at Ford's Vehicle Dynamics Department as the definition of "performance feel".

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Pretty good, but could use a dash of mullet and an Audi V8.

Bad Mutha Farkas

Here is the formal rules proposal for F600 in Fastrack.

http://www.scca.com/assets/11-fastrack-dec-club.pdf

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Pretty good, but could use a dash of mullet and an Audi V8.

Bad Mutha Farkas
    Love the mullet, dude!

BTW, is that guy still alive?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

BTW, is that guy still alive?
    He was at our last family reunion, but that was almost 6 months ago, so it's anybody's guess.

One last video. This is the July 4th race at Roebling Road from 2010. The yllow and blue cars are F500's.

1st Half
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPrYTmwyeI

2nd Half
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvszV_3NcYk
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Default YCC-T

Does the rule K.6.F eliminate the Yamaha 600 since it uses Drive(Ride) By Wire throttle position?

Liked: 4

What is the concern with drive by wire? Seems like it would be easier to package, and may lead to difficulty in using new engines which are moving more and more to drive by wire from the factory.

Liked: 553

Could you set it up so the crew chief on pit wall could keep it floored when the wimpy driver wants to lift?

Banned

Does the rule K.6.F eliminate the Yamaha 600 since it uses Drive(Ride) By Wire throttle position?
    While it would certainly seem that you could not utilize the Drive By Wire (which may or may have not been the intent)feature, I don't see how it wouldn't eliminate the R6 if you could make the stock ECU accept a traditional mechanical throttle.

Default ECU MODS

Will modifications to the stock ECU be allowed then also? to convert a DBW system to a pure mechanical throttle system. While I am in the ECU I will just tweek the rev limiter a bit... and advance the timing a few degrees here... get rid of the pesky traction control...modify the injector pulse width there....chop the ignition at the max rev so i can just preload the shifter rod and it will automatically change to the next upshift......on and on. It appears that within the very next year or 2 all major 600s will be DBW. If DBW is not allowed then you effectively cut the supplies of engines.

Banned

I was simply stating one persons' opinion on what the rule means....and I could be exactly wrong or right

Liked: 1

Will modifications to the stock ECU be allowed then also? to convert a DBW system to a pure mechanical throttle system. While I am in the ECU I will just tweek the rev limiter a bit... and advance the timing a few degrees here... get rid of the pesky traction control...modify the injector pulse width there....chop the ignition at the max rev so i can just preload the shifter rod and it will automatically change to the next upshift......on and on. It appears that within the very next year or 2 all major 600s will be DBW. If DBW is not allowed then you effectively cut the supplies of engines.
    Cut the engine supply to only tens, if not hundreds of thousands of engines.....

All kidding aside, I was under the impression that these DBW cars and bikes have fail safe modes built into them that would not allow full throttle in the event of a malfunction with the system.

Default ECU

Yes i agree I am realy excited to see this class grow and stay a low cost homebuilt class like FB started out as and balooned in to a fiscal free for all. I actually would like to see a $20,000 or so claiming rule like MOTO GP just implemented to contain the spiraling spending spree. That is another subject . I am just trying to throw out a few scenarios or possibiliteis to get them cleared up as quickly as possible so we could possibly make a choice that will fit within the guidelines when the flag drops

The R6 has a traditional throttle cable from the handle bar to the throttle body at which point it becomes an ECU controlled throttle so packaging is just the same as a mechanical set up.

Default YCC-T

And then ecu opens the throttle blades, not the driver,? = DBW? legal/illegal?

If the modern engines have drive by wire the rule can be ammended or a mechanical control can be added to the engines. I am told that this has been done on all the DBW race bikes.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

600 race bikes use the DBW. The AMA Daytona Sportbikes (600's) use the 'kit' ECU. I don't see why allowing the stock DBW should be an issue. In fact on the '09 R6 it's a distinct disadvantage as the stock ECU/DBW limits throttle opening to approx 85% for emissions reasons. The race kit ECU does away with that but a piggy back Power Commander type device won't.

Thanks for all the input guys, a big help for us. Obviously the rule set is not carved in stone yet and I am certain that the CRB will tidy some issues up both for clarity and effective rules purposes.

Of course the key element in all these discussions is: Will there be an F600 class? That is up to the members of the SCCA and the reality is letters, we need letters of support to the CRB.

In our opinion this class has huge potential. Modern engines screaming engines, fast cars, low costs, sequential shifting, lots of mechanical grip. In short a real drivers class.

Make it happen.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Liked: 57

...Will there be an F600 class? That is up to the members of the SCCA and the reality is letters, we need letters of support to the CRB.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    If the excitment over the possibilities of this class translate into letters, the success of this class should be a given. HOWEVER, it is NOT a given until and unless we - the club - tell the CRB it is what we want and will support.

Jay and the committee continue to do a GREAT job pushing this idea and have spent countless hours developing a draft rule set that is an outstanding starting point. All they are asking from us is 5 minutes to type an opinion in a form. They've even provided the link:

www.crbscca.com

The CRB has my letter of support, and the F600 committee has my appreciation!
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Banned

One of the very few times I wished I was a SCCA member...

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    One of the very few times I wished I was a SCCA member...
    Then join Daryl. Race F600!!!

Or send the CRB a letter and tell them that you will join if F600 is approved.

www.crbscca.com

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Banned

Letter sent. (#6738)

I haven't been a SCCA member in 20 years. I don't believe I should have any say in whether this gets approved or not. However, I let them know that F600 is exactly the type of class needed to get me back; low dollar formula car that offers performance and a bit of modern technology.

Now just get it approved and 3 other F600's racing in the SoPac and I'll buy one

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information