Thread: 1700 SV P&C set

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Default 1700 SV P&C set

Used Kolbenschmidt 77.44mm pistons, appear to be usable with new cylinders (available in cali.)
    Higher compression ratio per the pop-up with valve reliefs.
    $250, includes shipping to lower 48.
    Call or email for info.
    Lawrence

Pistons are 87mm, oops...
    Last edited by HayesCages; 12.29.12 at 4:50 PM.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Make offer, going to scrap them soon. Moving in a few months and these won't be coming along...
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

sure those are 1700's???

I have some 1600 SV pistons that look exactly like those, but I've never heard of them made in 1700 sizes, and the 1600 jugs are not available - although I bet Jake Raby could find someone to make them.

They are 88 mm bore. (see correction above)
    Place in Cali has new 1700 Mahle P&C sets in that bore available as well.

I believe it was an industrial engine VW came out with that was 1678cc's or something and SCCA made them legal for use in the SV class. With these pistons and the horrendously milled heads I'm thinking the compression ratio was about 12:1...

The heads went to the scrapper yesterday since one of them had shot one of the plugs out when the aluminum disappreared around it because it was so thin from milling the head down.

LH

All I'm saying is that with the 69mm stroke that our engine had it was 1.7L...
    Last edited by HayesCages; 12.13.11 at 4:21 PM.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 26

Default 90mm bore X 66mm Stroke

If they are 88mm pistons I believe they are “1.6” pistons. The SuperVee displacement rules were increased in the late ’70 to 1679 cc’s (90mm bore X 66mm stroke) to be more “competitive” with the water cooled rabbit engine. Standard Type-4 or 914 “1.7” engine vs. the Type-1 “1.6” (the Type-4 was a beefier engine.) Compression ratio, cam, and valve size were all free. The 914 “VW” pistons were higher compression (domed) thus required valve reliefs to be cut. As I recall, many, but not all, engine parts had to be a VW PN but were unrestricted. Wild cams, with very high compression ratios, were the norm but getting the head to seal was difficult. Stronger push rods were required too. Dual carbs without floats, requiring scavenge pumps, was also common. I think Bertils told me they produced 155 – 160 HP in their day but sacrificed dependability. I build several for an autocross car in the late ‘80’s.

Craig

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Craig is correct.

Exact 1.6 bore was 87.44 mm.

That makes these even more rare than 1.7's which are rather common due to the use in 914-4

Default Rare and desireable P&C set FS

Thanks for the info guys! Now that it's settled let's get them going out UPS soon...

I probably would've used these for the new engine had it been something for us, FAT Performance didn't feel comfortable using them for a customer engine and I didn't either so here they are, rare or not...
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Lawrence - a guy named Rusty Tanner from up in your neck of the woods was looking for 1.6 pistons and jugs last fall. Address is:

totjr<at>aol.com

Default What's a thousand miles between friends?

I believe Rusty lives in Tx., just a stone's throw away,
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Thread Information