Liked: 0

Default Considering FV Requesting guidance

So the gangsters (Oseths) that have the shop next to mine have been enticing me to race a real purpose-built vehicle. It seems they are some pretty fast characters that race FV and some other open wheel car FA FF or something like that. Obviously, I have no knowledge of the various classes but I am an accomplished cheapskate. These guys have given me a little bit of information but I am sure they would rather not give me all their speed secrets for fear that I would be faster than them (remember I called them gangsters....).

Anyway, I am looking for an entry level (read inexpensive) FV that could be competitive in the right hands. The vehicle I am looking for does not have to be a current "front runner" as long as I can enjoy some good racing and be able to add to the car at a later time if I wish to make it into a front runner (assuming the loose nut behind the wheel is capable). So what should I look for? What should I stay away from? I would be running the regional races to start (assuming enough competitors come out for the regionals) and possibly moving to the National races..

Any input would be appreciated.

Ahh yes, I am currently racing the Spec Miata class (hold on to your hate) and have done pretty good in that class.

Thanks!
    Alan
    Last edited by Olsinvest; 10.19.11 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling as usual

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Lots of Options out there

Hi Alan,

I also know the Oseths and you are right, they are fast! But they are also very knowledgeable in regards to racing. There are a number of good cars out there (including mine) and some of the most popular names are Protoform, Womer, Mysterian, Vortech, and Caracal. Any of these cars can have you on the track and being competitive in Regional and National competition. The car that is right for you often depends on your size and your ability to be comfortable in the car. The cost of the cars often depends on the level of the engine, shocks, data system, etc. When I started 14 years ago I had a Caracal B with a decent regional motor. Over time, I upgraded the motor, the shocks, etc. until I decided to build the Protoform P3 that I'm currently selling (I'm moving to a different class myself). I actually transferred most of the items from my Caracal to the Protoform and sold the Caracal as a slider. Hope that helps! Glad you are thinking about joing the FV community and feel free to reach out to me at fvee5 at hotmail dot com if you have any other questions. You are also welcome to come by and check out my car even if you think it is out of your price range.

Regards,

Ray Phillips

Liked: 0

Thanks Ray,

Yes the Oseths are great people. Although they have been tempting me for the past 3 years by talking about how fast and pretty their cars are... Then they park their trailers in my (squatted) parking spot....

As for my size: I am currently 6'2" and weigh 215 lbs. I say currently because I tend to go into a Winter Hibernization and that requires carbo-protein loading (this just seems to happen, I don't plan for it) and could get up to 230 lbs. I did lube myself up and slipped...well.... forced myself into their FV they have in their garage. It was very tight and my legs were bent in places they shouldn't be. I was told the cars are still competitive for fat guys like me....he didn't actually use those words, but I got his meaning. I was told the pedals can be moved forward allowing me to use my feet instead of my knees for the gas and brake pedals.

I recall perusing the classifieds here and seeing your car for sale. There are couple items I need to take care of in advance of getting real serious about purchasing. I desire to sell my current SM along with the majority of parts I have collected and stored in the Oseths...er I mean My parking spaces at Summit Point. I desire to do some research and then I will probably buy the first car I look at. I appreciate the info you have provided me. This info answers some of the questions I had as to which are the most popular.

Thanks, we will probably be in touch.
    Alan

Liked: 11

Alan,
    ALL the Oseths are fast: Steve, Jimmy, Erik and Daniel. Quite a lot of talent. As Ray said, part of the issue with a Vee is fitment. I'm 5'7, 160 lbs and their are some I have a hard time fitting in. Nothing like racing a formula car. May have to change some of your tactics from an SM though

Along with Ray, I also have a car for sale. Its a Womer you'll find in the classifieds. Sounds like it would fit your particulars. Been for sale for a while and I could use the garage space. You can definitely find cheaper Vees, but track time's already expensive enough without missing it to have to work on your car all the time. Feel free to call if you're interested or need any more info on FV in general.

Jim Adleberg
    410 370 5282

Thread Information