Nicolas Ortiz looks to make Formula 1000 his stepping stone to the Majors

Miami, FL (October 19, 2011) – Nicolas Ortiz from Miami, Florida has entered the 2012 Formula 1000 Championship Series with a desire to climb up to Formula 1. Nicolas, a sophomore at Archbishop Coleman Carroll High School sees the Championship as the perfect learning ground for the big time. F.O.R. Racing has recently purchased a new 2011 RFR 1000 with Suzuki power by George Dean Racing Engines. The car# will be 96.

“I am very excited about this series,” exclaimed Ortiz. “It will be my first professional series that I have had a chance to participate in. I have read about some of the drivers that have signed up. Some are very experienced drivers from which I wish to learn a lot. I can't wait until March to meet everyone and start racing.”

“It’s great to see the Championship attracting many new, young drivers,” said F1000’s Jon Lewis. “Nicolas knows he’ll have a lot of strong competition from the veterans in this class and from the other drivers new to F1000. But he’s smart about it and knows there is a lot to learn from his fellow competitors.”

Ortiz started driving go karts in the very competitive Rotax Jr. Class, where he achieved podium finishes and also participated in the Florida Winter Tour. Nicolas’ first win came as soon he moved up into shifter's, driving in the stock Honda class where he displayed maturity, skill and good sportsmanship.

In December of 2010 he was privileged to attend the Skip Barber Racing School from which he received a recommendation for his SCCA license. After learning about the F1000 series it was decided that the new Series would be the right choice for Nicolas to participate, so that he may further develop his driving skills and climb the ladder into a professional driving career. This winter will be spent testing the new F.O.R. Racing RFR 1000.

Nicolas is involved in the athletics program in his school’s cross country team. For the last seven years he also learned martial arts at the Unified Martial Arts Academy where he practice the discipline of Jeet Kune Do. Ortiz also serves the community through Key Club which helps in events for Breast Cancer Foundation, Ronald Mc Donald and Camillus House.