Thread: Bathurst ff

Liked: 232

Default Bathurst ff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcHO-9NEytc

Start line bog - then off we go (very early "pass in the grass")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zi4FgUEmc

MAJOR start line bog - (camera ADJUSTS after a few secs)

- BUCKET LIST addition

EJ
    EJ

Swift db-1 (019-85) / Ducati Paso Ltd SS / 70 Triumph "Bonnie"
    Plantation (Ft.Lauderdale)/SCCA-Florida Region 37 years
    JGenerotti's friend, dad, mechanic, assoc. sponsor, etc.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default suit too small

EJ, I don't think I can run there. My firesuit is too small to fit a diaper in, and that downhill run would surely scare the something out of me!
    Cool track, Cool video.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 11

Default Thanks for Sharing!

Holy pass in-the-grass and tank slapper on the downhill!
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Liked: 49

Also watch Jenson Buttons lap of this track in the Mclaren F1. I love the fast right followed by tightening left handers one third the way into the lap, with walls either side. The downhill run off the mountain looks like SPA in the 60s, easily 200mph in the F1 car!

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Bathurst Comeback

This is a superb video and really conveys the nature of this incredible track. But there's an interesting post on YouTube asking if this driver had any competition from the rest of the field. Were all those other guys slowpokes and was this driver superman in a car with the best engine in all of Australia? Makes you wonder!! The poster went on to say that in a field of FF cars in the UK, that kind of snow job never would have happened.

The V8Supercars Bathurst 1000 was one of the greatest road races I have ever seen - a great field of beautifully prepared cars, lots of extremely skilled drivers, wheel-to-wheel action such as is rarely seen. And a bunch of real gentlemen who gave great interviews to the SpeedTV guys. Truly exceptional. You can see why it is spoken about in the same breath as LeMans and Monaco as "must see" events !!

THE Button / McLaren lap from above. AWESOME !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDDF...feature=relmfu

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by John Merriman View Post
    This is a superb video and really conveys the nature of this incredible track. But there's an interesting post on YouTube asking if this driver had any competition from the rest of the field. Were all those other guys slowpokes and was this driver superman in a car with the best engine in all of Australia? Makes you wonder!! The poster went on to say that in a field of FF cars in the UK, that kind of snow job never would have happened.

He ran USF2000 this year, not sure how he did. Luke Ellery.
    -Nick

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Good Driver,
    Great Drive,
    Very Little speed left in the corners,
    Still seemed to have a lot of HP.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default What Morgan said

Yeah, I had to stop watchin' at 2:12.
    These guys have a thorough post race tech?

Gotta say - the pass in the grass looked pretty do-able, AND
    Those things need another gear or two!
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 10.13.11 at 12:23 AM.

Liked: 146

Quote Originally Posted by John Merriman View Post

Some were slowpokes, I was 35th I think, but there were several current and past State champions, a UK FF champion and an Australian F3 champion. I didnt hear any comments in the paddock about the legality of the engine, but it sure does go.

Liked: 106

Button's Bathurst lap from the onboard cam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVF...feature=relmfu
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Liked: 123

It's amazing how carrying a lot of speed through the corner and getting a high exit speed improves the HP on the straight...

Brian

Liked: 91

Luke can most certainly wheel a car. If you notice, his big runs start mid-corner. Simple racing technique fellas, if you get a great run through a corner, it's going to last to the next braking zone.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Wow

I shoulda kept watching - the save on the first downhill dip was exceptional.
    Dude can definitely get it on!

The passes in the beginning were beautiful on I'm assuming cold tires (warmers allowed in Oz FF?), and also another BIG assumption for me was thinking the top 12 or 15 Q'd w/i a second or so.

The pass coming up to complete lap 1 saw Luke blow by that other car so massively it's hard to believe drafting FF's in a top level event like that, into the Top 3, would be SO dramatic, but like I said - BIG assumptions on my part, n' ya know what they say...

One things for sure - I'm not quite sure how the young lad can sit down with huevos that big, KILLA drive!

Liked: 1

Yeah thats Luke, Bathurst.. if you think that was exciting, you guys should ride in a rental car with him sometime!

Great kid with a lot of talent just needs a sponsor..

-Dave

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hopple View Post
    Great kid with a lot of talent just needs a sponsor..

-Dave
    Never heard that before....

Liked: 2

Default A far better display ---

-- of this guy's gift. Against other real racers in comparable race cars. Several large displays of guts, race craft... and trust in the other guy. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrA90hi4op8

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    -- of this guy's gift. Against other real racers in comparable race cars. Several large displays of guts, race craft... and trust in the other guy. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrA90hi4op8
    ^^^ More impressive than shooting fish in a barrel

Liked: 146

If the close walls, and lack of vision at corners isnt enough, the wildlife adds another dimension. Bathurst is the only track I have raced at where at the drivers briefing you are warned about kangaroos. They can do some damage to a sedan, and I hate to think what they would do to a formula car.

Do not watch if you are squeemish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGEvRFQcqU

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    If the close walls, and lack of vision at corners isnt enough, the wildlife adds another dimension. Bathurst is the only track I have raced at where at the drivers briefing you are warned about kangaroos.
    I too experienced the reality of that in a drivers meeting at Mont Tremblant, but for deer apparently. The drivers meeting was in French, which my wife was translating, to which I asked again if she translated it correctly. She said yes and then came to the realization she should be concerned...

Note to self...don't let wife translate driver meetings.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    I too experienced the reality of that in a drivers meeting at Mont Tremblant, but for deer apparently. The drivers meeting was in French, which my wife was translating, to which I asked again if she translated it correctly. She said yes and then came to the realization she should be concerned...

Note to self...don't let wife translate driver meetings.
    A couple of years ago at Summit Point at an FRCCA race a deer darted in front of the FV pack, JUST making it across before they went roaring, well, buzzing by.
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 0

Hate bringing up old threads but they recently raced the Duratec class at Bathurst at the end of last year (2012) and the general rumours were speed reads in the 265kph range (around 165mph) down conrod straight. Remember thats with a tyre that has grooves and no downforce...

The problem is they are nearly getting too fast for the track and this video shows what happened in qualifying that weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyb2UHmbmDQ It's really too dangerous around there in open wheelers yet they raced F3 there. Mental.

...and heres another clip of the star of your Bathurst comeback videos spinning around in a kent car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjJ-6GNdmo

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by RaceD View Post
    Hate bringing up old threads but they recently raced the Duratec class at Bathurst at the end of last year (2012) and the general rumours were speed reads in the 265kph range (around 165mph) down conrod straight. Remember thats with a tyre that has grooves and no downforce...

The problem is they are nearly getting too fast for the track and this video shows what happened in qualifying that weekend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyb2UHmbmDQ It's really too dangerous around there in open wheelers yet they raced F3 there. Mental.

...and heres another clip of the star of your Bathurst comeback videos spinning around in a kent car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjJ-6GNdmo
    Part mini Isle of Man TT, part relive the cork screw of Laguna Seca over and over again on the down hill, part Skippy race school radials, these racers are some very special folks. No runoff area for 2/3 dds of the track.....WOW!!

Thread Information