Liked: 1417

Default Pagenaud to Sample Honda Formula F at Las Vegas

SANTA CLARITA, California -- October 3, 2011 – Pacific Formula F Super Series participants will have a chance to test themselves against one of the world’s best all-round racers this weekend at the Las Vegas season finale for the open-wheel racing championship, as Simon Pagenaud joins the series for a one-off appearance aboard the PR1 Motorsports-prepared Piper Honda DF5 Formula F.

In the past year, Pagenaud has sampled a wide variety of HPD racing products, racing everything from a Honda-powered IndyCar in the IZOD IndyCar Series to a Honda Civic Si in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Challenge Series. Last December, Pagenaud took part in the 25 Hours of Thunderhill grassroots endurance race, driving stints in both a Honda CR-Z and Honda B-Spec Fit. At the other end of the endurance sports-car racing spectrum, he also finished second this year at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, driving for Peugeot, and second at this year’s Twelve Hours of Sebring, driving an HPD ARX-01e prototype for Highcroft Racing in the American Le Mans Series.

“Formula F is going to be a lot of fun, for me and I hope also for the other competitors in the series,” Pagenaud said. “It has been a long time since I have driven a small formula car, and I have never raced on the Las Vegas road course – although I am familiar with the oval track next door! The Piper/Honda is a very modern design, and I think it will be exciting and enjoyable to race it alongside the West Coast series Formula F racers.”

The final Pacific Formula F Super Series event of 2011 takes place October 7-9, with a two-race weekend at the challenging 2.4-mile Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course, located adjacent to the 1.5-mile oval speedway. The companion Pacific F2000 Series will also conclude its season with a pair of concurrent races.

Pagenaud will continue to sample and race a variety of HPD performance products through the remainder of the year, including a Rallycross version of the B-Spec Fit, as well as a Hondapowered kart. Videos of Pagenaud’s efforts in assorted HPD machinery can be found posted at: http://www.youtube.com/user/HondaRacingHPDTV#p/u. The goal of Pagenaud’s participation in these events is to help HPD engineers develop better products for members of the Honda Racing Line.

“I really enjoy participating with the HPD engineers in the development of all these cars,” Pagenaud said. “Hopefully, my feedback can help both current and new Honda Formula F drivers. Honda and HPD really have a great range of options for competitors. I think you'll see young drivers come through the Honda system in karts and Formula F to rise into IndyCars and professional sports-car racing."

Liked: 0

Cool, except SCCA may use the data to reduce the restrictor on the Honda.
    Ken

Liked: 309

Default 29.5 to 31.0...

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Given the recent background of the noted driver, one might say the SCCA could equally open up the restrictor. That is, if this guy isn't competitive in a Piper DF5/Fit at 29.5 mm, then something is wrong...

Putting on the flamesuit now...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Given the recent background of the noted driver, one might say the SCCA could equally open up the restrictor. That is, if this guy isn't competitive in a Piper DF5/Fit at 29.5 mm, then something is wrong...

Putting on the flamesuit now...
    I don't know much about him.Read his stats on Wiki just now and he did win an Pro Atlantic title, although never won a race in the Renault series (small formula car?)

I have mixed emotions about allowing a current Indycar driver to come in and smash all of the competitors that have dedicated an entire season's budget to win the championship, but then again, it would be cool to be able to say that you beat him as well. I'm sure he won't be allowed to have any more testing than the other drivers that weekend, but I'l bet the front runners' tire budgets just went up

We'll see.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    I don't know if it matters, but it is not an SCCA race. It is being run with a VARA weekend.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default honda

At the recent Sears Point race a decent, but not blazing fast Kent DB6 driver beat every single Honda including a blazing fast driver Alex Schutte. Alex still holds the qualifying record at 1:38:xx and the above mentioned driver was doing 1:42:xx in the race I believe.
    Hybels

Liked: 11

I met Simon this w/e at Petit, where he was racing for Peugeot Really nice and humble guy w/ a good sense of humor. Enjoy the moment of racing against a top-flight professional, just out having some fun w/ his friends from HPD.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

The series only allows 4 tires for both races and qualifiers. I don't think there has been a single driver to make 2 events in the series, not so with the f2000 group. I am sure if that is not correct Les will correct me. Shame though, the Sears Point event was well run and afforded decent track time. Jon B. Used the east coast pro series tires and loved them. He learned, as we already know, that there was as much grip at the end of the second race as there was when they were new. Ask him, he will tell you.
    These tires are way better then running on old technology R60s.
    John

Liked: 3787

Wonder which restrictor will be legal...

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Froggie,
    They have been running a 30.5. It is a little off on the top end, even for lower top speed at Sears Point. Ask Alex as he was getting pulled on every straight.
    John

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

What were the race results?

Never mind, just found the results however only two FF running...

http://www.pacificf2000.com/results.html
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 10.10.11 at 8:34 AM.

Thread Information