Liked: 1432

Default Post Runoffs News

Well, as reported the failure being 4th gear (what I assumed it to be) was actually the hole in the rear apex joint that bolts to the Hewland shift finger elongated and tore which didn't allow enough travel to engage 4th gear. The elongated hole was not noticeable during my nut and bolt as the apex washer was covering it up. Rats. The biggest let down is not so much the loss, but the loss of that contingency $$$. Thanks to Ford for stepping up this year. The biggest carrot for me was that USF2000 voucher. For me, being able to compete there would allow me to cross off an item on the bucket list that would let me die happy. And thanks to all the other contingency sponsors that supported this. This year there was some great things to be won.

But, that said it was a great race with Lew. I could not be more impressed with there efforts. From day one they were committed to winning this and they made it happen. Congrats. They have raised the bar in FF in so many ways. I've been taking notes!

I need to thank a whole boat load of people for helping me. Without any of their help, I would not be able to run with the front guys or even get to the track, and that is no BS cliche either.

Props to:

Hoosier Tire. Hands down, these guys and ladies are the best with the best tire in FF. Bruce Foss, Tim Gilvin, Terry Gilvin (now that they stop alternating goatees I can tell them appart), Paula Disbrow-Nate and the whole Hoosier Family. Thank you.

Curtis Farley
    . This guy is as good as they come. To dispel the rumors of the Kent, this is the same rebuild I had at the Sprints last year and have put about 20 hours on it since with just one head refresh before the runoffs and it is not a single hp down from where it was last year. Curtis, thank you for your help and support.

Bruce Lindstrand; LMI
    . This guy is one of the main reasons I am where I am. I bought my 92 from him in 2008. I was a college kid, with no open wheel knowledge aside from doggy little kid karts. At that point, I had no guidance and anyone could have sold me a POS car and bleed me dry. Needless to say he didn't. What he did do was show me the ropes; gear changes, alignments, and some much needed guidance to drastically shorten the learning curve. If I went into all the times he bailed me out we would be here for a week. Bruce and his shop are the real deal. If you are looking to get into open wheelers, he is the guy. If you have been doing it for 30 years, he is still the guy. His passion for motorsport and quality clearly show in his efforts. Thank you Bruce!

Nic Temple; LMI
    . She is the shock guru, the mister of the mono shocks, the king (should be queen, but that kills my ryhmes) of the coil spring! She does shocks for me every other year when I can get them done, and she has them perfect every time! She is also the magic wrench behind Allan Wheatcroft's sting of no-DNF races. Something in the 100s I think, no BS.

Cindy Lindstrand; LMI
    . She makes some of the most stuff-your-face-until-your-guts-burst-then-eat-ten-more food that you have ever had. Thank you for keeping the LMI crew and my mooching stomachs full. The paddock is much tastier when LMI pulls in.

Jeff Salcedo; LMI. Another great person under the LMI tent and my man on the radio who kept me informed and focused. Jeff, you the man!

Keith Averill.
    This guy is one of a kind. He spent no less than 5 hours on the phone with me over the course of a few weeks in the beginning of the year helping me get the brakes figured out. He is a wealth of knowledge and experience, much of which is shared on Apexspeed. After the race he was one of those guys that wouldn't let me get down about what happened. He just kept talking in my ear about what I had accomplished and he was the one that broke the news to me about setting the track record.

Cryoscience Technologies. For helping me with the REM and cryo of my gear sets and dog rings. No BS here either, the cyro really does make the dogs last longer. They still look like new. I don't understand the voodoo of cryo, but it works.

My Brother. His support of my stupid goals and unwavering enthusiasm. If you haven't read them, his photographs and captions of a race weekend posted on Facebook are a fantastic read. High reccomended, and so much so Oprah even put it on her book club.

My Parents. My Dad for all the grunt work. So much for that retirement huh? Hey, why are you reading this...you got work to do!

Ken Jones. How this guy has put up with me since high school, I'll never know. But, he still drives the nearly 6 hour haul from St. Paul every race weekend to help out. He is one skilled wrench and the only guy I know who will work for string cheese and dehydrated apple slices.

Then there are all the people who have loaned me a truck and/or trailer to even get to the track, Jeff Willert and Ken Kannard to name a few.

Other thanks for support goes out to the apexspeed family and all those who have wished me well over the years.

FF is still one of the best classes in SCCA. The drivers, the cars, and the speed per dollar are some of the best out there. There is a reason guys like Scotty stay in the class when they could go anywhere they want. Wings?! We don't need no stinking wings!

Congrats again to Lew and all the 2011 National Champions.

RH
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 09.30.11 at 3:14 PM.

Thread Information