Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CM "Lost Cars"

Liked: 65

My RP31 has an integral 1st gear in it, so I guess that makes it a CM car. Its not lost tho, just in mothballs in the garage. When Gibbie said "Wow, you have an RP31?? thats such a great car. Friend of mine never could beat me until he got one of them. Man what a great car" yeah, makes it hard to part with it. It will be back out someday. Time and economy willing.

Liked: 309

Default cm-q Numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    This thread sure brings back some old, but fond, memories.
    Craig,

Speaking of memories, I just recalled the cm-q Numbers listing that I *think* I took over from Josh. Man, there a lot of other "Lost Cars" (plus some that we have "Found") on this listing. I have attached for everyone's comments.

Oh, I am planning on creating an updated CM Numbers listing to track current cars/participation. I will create a separate ApexSpeed thread within the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Henry View Post
    Great thread. It has inspired me to get the car done and get back out.
    Looking forward to seeing you in 2012!

Take care,
    Last edited by -pru-; 11.16.16 at 10:20 AM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Speaking of memories, I just recalled the cm-q Numbers listing that I *think* I took over from Josh. Man, there a lot of other "Lost Cars" (plus some that we have "Found") on this listing. I have attached for everyone's comments.
    That was me -- I assumed that was your starting point for the lost cars list, and those not on the list were still running. For good fun, check out the numbers listing from April 1998. :-)

Default Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sirota View Post
    That was me -- I assumed that was your starting point for the lost cars list, and those not on the list were still running. For good fun, check out the numbers listing from April 1998. :-)
    Mark,

Okay, I knew it was one of the two of you!

As for a "Lost Cars" starting point, Pete and I just jotted down the ones we recalled while sitting at the 2011 Solo Nationals banquet. That is, we were lamenting the low entry and how to increase participation. We agreed that a good starting point would be to find / bring out the cars we recalled. I dug up the listing last night after trying to figure out a way to track the progress were are making with this thread. That is, create a "Lost and Found" listing based on car number.

Hey, this has been an enjoyable (and promising) exercise.

Oh, if you still have a copy, please post your '98 listing. I cannot seem to find that version.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Oh, if you still have a copy, please post your '98 listing. I cannot seem to find that version.
    Here it is, sent April 1 1998. Last time, this one almost sent Jim to the hospital. :-)

Code:
    8 Paul Schelling                 1977 Zink Z10C        FF       White/Black     Hoosier
    11 Bert Swift                    1988 Reynard FF         Blue
    12 Bob Miller/Mark Sirota        1988 Van Diemen RF88 FF Blue            Hoosier
    14 Tony Grau                     1975 Lola T-342 FF      Red             Hoosier
    25 Stuart Galt                   1985 Reynard FF         Orange          Hoosier
    27 Greg Vincent/Paul Z.          1984 Van Diemen RF84 FF White           Hoosier
    33 Mike Bultemeier               Tiga FF                 Red/Purple      Goodyear
    34 Chip Van Slyke/Jim Garry      1985 Citation FF        Yellow          Hoosier
    35 Dave Johnson                  1981 Tiga S2            Purple          Goodyear
    38 Tommy Saunders/Stuart Lumpkin 1985 Swift DB1 FF       Yellow          Hoosier
    49 Gerry Ford                    1972 Crossle 20F FF     Red/White       Hoosier
    55 Phil Berry                    1984 Van Diemen RF84 FF Red             Hoosier
    57 Gary Godula                   1979 Dulon MP-21 FF     Blue            Hoosier
    65 Peter Calhoun                 1983 Reynard RF83 FF    Yellow          Hoosier
    71 Terry Nicoll                  1984 Van Diemen RF84 FF Red/White/Black Hoosier
    72 Mark Daddio                   1992 Van Diemen RF92 FF White/Blue      Goodyear
    74 Jim Young                     Lola T580 FF            Red             Hoosier
    81 Guy Ankeny                    1985 Tiga S2            White           Hoosier
    83 Al Cram                       1983 Van Diemen FF
    85 Dick Rasmussen                1985 Van Diemen RF85 FF Yellow          Hoosier
    87 Mark Outrich                  1988 Legrand Mk 27 FF   Silver          Hoosier
    88 J. Kurt Eikenberg             1984 Reynard FF         Red             Hoosier
    89 Bill Engle, Jr.               1985 Van Diemen RF85 FF Black           Hoosier
    92 Charlie Mathews               1983 Lola T642 FF       Red             Hoosier
    95 Bill Smiley                   1982 Tiga FF            Red             Hoosier
    96 Bruce Dickey                  1989 Crossle 70F FF     Teal            Goodyear
    97 Peter Steinberg               1978? Lola T-440 FF     Teal            Hoosier
    98 Gary Richardson               1988 Van Diemen RF88 FF White/Yellow    Hoosier
    99 John Ames                     1992 Swift S2           White/Orange    Goodyear

Default Hmmm...

Thanks Mark!

Here it is, sent April 1 1998. Last time, this one almost sent Jim to the hospital. :-)
    Let me guess...

Code:
    72 Mark Daddio                   1992 Van Diemen RF92 FF White/Blue      Goodyear
    99 John Ames                     1992 Swift S2           White/Orange    Goodyear
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Keep going, there's more.

Default Missed that last one...

Keep going, there's more.
    Man, you're evil. Updated my response....
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sirota
    It was an April fool's joke that I fell for.

But, 4 years later I DID end up in the Topeka hospital! (The nurses were very nice!)
    Last edited by Jim Garry; 09.22.11 at 8:54 PM.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 9

Speaking of lost cars, anyone got an idea of how many FF were ever made. My 90 Van Diemen is #145x and I don't think VD is the biggest manufacturer.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 2

Based on the '98 Nationals results (I warmed tires for John Tak that year in ESP, and bought the '84 Reynard the following July), you're missing:
    28 Tim Koch '81 Crossle
    43 Chuck Jarvie '82 Reynard
    2 Ken Padilla '72 Lola

Don

Default Update forthcoming...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Elzinga View Post
    Based on the '98 Nationals results (I warmed tires for John Tak that year in ESP, and bought the '84 Reynard the following July), you're missing:
    28 Tim Koch '81 Crossle
    2 Ken Padilla '72 Lola

Don
    Thanks Don.

Andy can correct me, but I believe that he's running Jarvie's car. I will add the others...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Don Elzinga View Post
    28 Tim Koch '81 Crossle
    2 Ken Padilla '72 Lola

Don
    Tim later ran a Citation.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 9

Thanks Don.

Andy can correct me, but I believe that he's running Jarvie's car. I will add the others...
    Yes, I'm running Chuck Jarvie's car. He'll be honored that he was remembered on this forum.

Andy

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ahowe View Post
    Yes, I'm running Chuck Jarvie's car. He'll be honored that he was remembered on this forum.

Andy
    Andy,

Please say Hi to Chuck for me if you see or talk with him.

Thanks,

Dick
    CM 85

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Bert Swift's Reynard

Bert's blue '88 Reynard was aquired by Bryan Cohn for road racing. He sold it to Gary Payne who painted it red, raced it in St. Louis for a couple of years, took it to the run-offs, then sold it. As far as I know, the car is still being road raced somewhere in the mid-west. We should scratch it from the CM list.

I am pretty sure that Tim Koch's Crossle also returned to club racing.

My ex Jim McKamey/ ex Davie Looman '79 Dulon MP21 (loaned to Mark Shehan for a season) was purchased by Geoff Hale, then sold a couple of times, and was on its way to New Zealand the last that I heard. Definitely out of CM circulation.

I have not made a decision on my '88 Reynard. I would love to return to racing, but I can only handle one obsession in my life at a time, and right now that obsession is endurance sports. I would never sell it to anyone wanting to convert it away from a Ford powertrain as I do not support destroying the class history like that and am still pretty pissed off at the players who allowed it to happen, particularly since I know some of them personally. It needs almost a complete long block, including pan, to rebuild the car. Crank failures make a big mess. (I just wanted one more race out of the engine...it was already scheduled to go to the engine builder the next week.)

Who has Davie's old Royale RP-31? I think it is in Louisville somewhere.

Dawn Odoi still has an '83 Reynard that may not have been raced in a couple of years. Does anyone know her plans for the car?
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post
    I have not made a decision on my '88 Reynard. I would love to return to racing, but I can only handle one obsession in my life at a time, and right now that obsession is endurance sports. I would never sell it to anyone wanting to convert it away from a Ford powertrain as I do not support destroying the class history like that and am still pretty pissed off at the players who allowed it to happen, particularly since I know some of them personally. It needs almost a complete long block, including pan, to rebuild the car. Crank failures make a big mess. (I just wanted one more race out of the engine...it was already scheduled to go to the engine builder the next week.)
    Dude! Great to hear from you again! We'd love to have you and the Reynard back in the CM grid!!!!

I have to agree with your thoughts about converting your car to Honda power, those cars are just to rare/important/pure/etc/etc to change. Besides, I think the conversion on that particular chassis & body work would be way too involved. So, even though I posted earlier that your car may be a potential Fit conversion, I officially withdraw that thought, I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. I'll go edit that post! Obviously, I don't quite share your view on Honda power, but I respect your opinion and believe that as long as the Kent is a viable option that it should be the "best choice" for SCCA road racing National Championships.

I really don't want to hijack this thread, so please lets not start *another* Honda discussion!

Gary, again, Great to hear from you!
    Barry

Who has Davie's old Royale RP-31? I think it is in Louisville somewhere.

Dawn Odoi still has an '83 Reynard that may not have been raced in a couple of years. Does anyone know her plans for the car?
    Gary,

Not sure about the Looman's RP-31. That was a neat car. I will add that to my "Lost Car" listing. Which reminds me, need to put TedV's on the "CM Participants" listing as well (same car? Hmm.)

Dawn is still running her 83 Reynard. She ran in CM at the 2010 Solo Nationals.

I have not made a decision on my '88 Reynard. I would love to return to racing, but I can only handle one obsession in my life at a time, and right now that obsession is endurance sports.
    Thanks for all of the CM/FF updates. I have updated both listings based on your information. Hope to see you back some day soon!

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 65

Pru, you should have PM

I don't think mine is Loomans. I would really like to know what he did to his for autocross. I'm looking into bringing it back out. I'm back to being tired of chasing the constantly changing rules of other classes.

Default PM Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    Pru, you should have PM

I don't think mine is Loomans. I would really like to know what he did to his for autocross. I'm looking into bringing it back out. I'm back to being tired of chasing the constantly changing rules of other classes.
    Ted,

Thanks for the follow up. I have followed up with the Looman's on the RP-31. I am sure Davie would be happy to share his Solo set up.

Take care,
    Last edited by -pru-; 09.27.11 at 2:31 PM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default Found another one!

Thanks to Geoff Hale, Jeff Gordon's 82 Reynard has been found. Jeff relocated from KY to MI and noted the car is now with him in the Detroit area. We may see this car in 2012...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Classifieds Super License

I sold the Lola 342 to someone I believe in Kentucky. I have been trying to find it the last few years with no luck. If anyone knows where it went, i would love to know.

Default Thanks to the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Grau View Post
    I sold the Lola 342 to someone I believe in Kentucky. I have been trying to find it the last few years with no luck. If anyone knows where it went, i would love to know.
    Tony,

Appreciate the feedback Tony. Peter Calhoun noted as such when we were first discussing this list. That is, he thinks Phil Wells is the current owner of your old car. I will work on confirming.

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default Wells Lola T-342 ~ ex-Grau confirmed...

Tony,

Followed up with Phil Wells regarding the Lola. Here’s his response as well as a nice photo of the car as it now stands:

Yes, I bought the Lola T-342 from Tony Grau and autocrossed it for a couple of years and then bought the Swift DB-1 from Craig Jones and it became my primary autocross car. I did, however, keep the Lola. I have since had the car restored (by Bruce Domeck) and ran a few autocrosses with it but then converted it to a road racer and, over the last few of years, have run it a couple of times in SVRA vintage events. As you may remember, the car was RED everywhere, chassis, body, side panels, etc. We decided to go back to the original grey chassis and, since many Lolas ran with Sunoco sponsorship, we made the bodywork blue with yellow pinstriping and numbers. We also had new sidepanels made and left them unpainted but gave them a "brushed" finish. I'll attach a picture of the car as it looks now (with 2 minor exceptions--it has Dunlop treaded tires so that it can run in Club Ford and the CM has been removed from the car).

Best regards,

Phil
    Last edited by -pru-; 11.16.16 at 10:20 AM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 121

Wow! That Lola looks showroom fresh!!

Wow. Beautiful.
    Van Diemen RF-84

Liked: 3

[quote=PCalhoun;312858]

Then there are the Texas cars not owned by Saunders/Lumpkin or Dickey. What happened to Eric Jones- Van Dieman or Phil Waters?- Van Diemen and there might have been another one or two others in the late 90's.

[quote]

The RF88 I just bought is Eric's old car...although I didn't know it when I bought it. When the car was delivered and I had a chance to go through the log book, I saw a 2000 transfer to Eric, who I know from my BS RX8 days (co-drove with him at Blytheville Tour). I immediately called him and he confirmed it is his old car.

It went to a guy named Beasley in 2004, who gave it to a local race shop for a frame up in 2006...bare metal, powdercoated frame, new belly pan, freshened motor, new Koni 28's etc. Evidently, he ran out of steam on the project late 2008 or so, utlimately selling it to Ed Rushing in FL, who finished putting it back together with his son-in-law. I bought it end of December after Ed and I were able to find a price that worked for us both.

I have to finish putting the anti roll bars on (need to make a few items, see my "wtb" advertisement) and then figure out the set up, but should be running it a bunch in 2012.

Mike

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    The RF88 I just bought is Eric's old car...although I didn't know it when I bought it. When the car was delivered and I had a chance to go through the log book, I saw a 2000 transfer to Eric, who I know from my BS RX8 days (co-drove with him at Blytheville Tour). I immediately called him and he confirmed it is his old car.

It went to a guy named Beasley in 2004, who gave it to a local race shop for a frame up in 2006...bare metal, powdercoated frame, new belly pan, freshened motor, new Koni 28's etc. Evidently, he ran out of steam on the project late 2008 or so, utlimately selling it to Ed Rushing in FL, who finished putting it back together with his son-in-law. I bought it end of December after Ed and I were able to find a price that worked for us both.

I have to finish putting the anti roll bars on (need to make a few items, see my "wtb" advertisement) and then figure out the set up, but should be running it a bunch in 2012.

Mike
    Great update! I have updated the CM Competitors listing to reflect the change in ownership.

Thanks,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Classifieds Super License

If Phil ever wants to sell the Lola, hopefully he calls me first. My wife is still angry at me for selling. My private email is grautony@gmail.com.

Sound advice from Jim. In addition to Jim and myself, Peter Calhoun can likely give you a fair appraisal for the RF-88. That is, feel free to contact any of us for a price point recommendation. IM Jim or I for Pete's contact info.

Take care,
    Not to pry in on your conversation. But any help on determining the value of my
    car would be help full. : thank you

Default Photo's?

Quote Originally Posted by radman View Post
    Not to pry in on your conversation. But any help on determining the value of my
    car would be help full. : thank you
    Given the details in your ad for the 84FF Reynard, $7000 seem reasonable. Before commenting further, I suggest you add photo's to your ad. That is, we need to see the car (with and without bodywork) to get an idea of its overall condition and thus worth...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information