Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Runoffs Updates

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Allen_W View Post
    Battles throughout the field, this one for coveted P8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac3AgJ1cTPo

Even though I effed up a bit later in T6, I had so much fun in this race.
    Need to clean my screen, seems a little dirty. Nice camera shots though. What video system are you using to get the data overlay?

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    Need to clean my screen, seems a little dirty. Nice camera shots though. What video system are you using to get the data overlay?
    LOL, yes "clag," oil, and "whatnot" on the lens. It's a SmartyCam linked to an AIM data system.
    Last edited by Allen_W; 09.25.11 at 6:17 PM.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Default Class act

Congradulations LC111. Awsome drive! Really a class act by all concerned. [Kautz could teach NASCAR about post race interview etiquette, and they are prettey good at it already.] Sad to see Reid's bad luck after such an impressive start. I was really looking forward to the last lap between him and LC. I think he has little to worry about from the Hondas unless Honda starts building rockets!
    Also, thanks to Allen and others, for the updates and posts. It made having to work night shift this weekend a bit more tolerable.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I was only there for race day, so not too many photos, but here's what I have.

In this picture - tim explained to me that his radio wasn't working, so he didn't know what position he was in. He couldn't see the scoreboard on the inside of turn 5, so he had to turn his car sideways to get a clear view.

Allen went streaking

The podium

Great stuff, Dennis. Thanks for posting. I am very happy to see one of me streaking. I love your shots.

Six drivers under the previous track record . . . wow!

Liked: 190

Allen,

Let me guess, you hit a migrating Sargento bridge troll?

Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:33 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 3787

Kind of cool that Valet was 2nd on the pro spec tire. Wide rears at that.

When it gets quite off-season, maybe we can renew the discussion about a spec tire in FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Allen,

Let me guess, you hit a migrating Sargento bridge troll?

Yeah, ever since they removed the Billy Mitchell, those blasted trolls are migrating from bridge to bridge in large numbers. I never saw the little bugger until it was too late.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Great FF scrum, cool job by all, free entry for LCIII as standing Nat Champ at the Glen in 3 weeks for the F1600 finale.
    Kautz, Valet, Goeghary, Thompson, Foster, Johnston [VERY fast young lady from Canada], Hull at al, now how about adding in Lew, Reid, Allan and everyone else all on arguably the best circuit in North America on the old USGP date on the same track and have a rematch with the best of the best ?
    And Fit's at 31 mm.......
    Only thumb down was the worst announcing ever and a color guy with no open wheel experience !

Liked: 1432

Congrats to Lew and the whole Polestar team. Since January they made the uncompromising commitment to seek out a national title without hesitation. Their determination, efforts, and team put together one of the most impressive pushes for a title that I have seen.

Great job guys, you made this happen with your clear focus.

Enjoy the title.

RH

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Great FF scrum, cool job by all, free entry for LCIII as standing Nat Champ at the Glen in 3 weeks for the F1600 finale.
    Kautz, Valet, Goeghary, Thompson, Foster, Johnston [VERY fast young lady from Canada], Hull at al, now how about adding in Lew, Reid, Allan and everyone else all on arguably the best circuit in North America on the old USGP date on the same track and have a rematch with the best of the best ?
    And Fit's at 31 mm.......
    Only thumb down was the worst announcing ever and a color guy with no open wheel experience !

I'd love to be there, you know how hard I've worked to try and make it in the series, but unless I start pooping dollar bills by the truck load it's not going to happen.

Steve Bamford has been very convincing to come and run and is a great proponent for the series, but it's just pure economics at this point.

GOUGHARY...I really need to change my name to something easier to spell. How about we use my F1 name from now on?

Jimmi Googlioni

That has a nice ring?

if you think it's hard to spell, you should hear all the different pronunciations around the paddock

Liked: 553

Are you guys talking about Geoffrey?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    if you think it's hard to spell, you should hear all the different pronunciations around the paddock
    gouge-harry?

Gough (like cough) ary (ree)

But I am really liking this Googlioni idea. I think I will go with it, at least for The Glen.

Jimmi Googlioni
    #7 Piper/Honda

Sorry Jimmy.
    Now Dennis, I am sure younoticed the announcing from the Runoffs and your name being pronounced "Valey" rhymes May with then "Valet'-rhymes with get or let, in subsequent sentences from the same flapping mouth !

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyracer View Post
    Gough (like cough) ary (ree)

But I am really liking this Googlioni idea. I think I will go with it, at least for The Glen.

Jimmi Googlioni
    #7 Piper/Honda
    Good to know I had it right all along, now we have to learn a new version? See you up there.

Default Okay, I'll bite

So how do you pronounce Goughary and Valet?
    [Mom named me Jim Lee cause I can spell both of them.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Sorry Jimmy.
    Now Dennis, I am sure younoticed the announcing from the Runoffs and your name being pronounced "Valey" rhymes May with then "Valet'-rhymes with get or let, in subsequent sentences from the same flapping mouth !

Valet is one of those words that is pronounced just like it it spelled, and just like the only other place you see it in the world - so I understand their confusion

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyracer View Post
    GOUGHARY...I really need to change my name to something easier to spell. How about we use my F1 name from now on?

Jimmi Googlioni

That has a nice ring?
    Ahem, knowing some Italian myself THAT would be one of the last names I would pick.
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

Default Great race you guys!

Only one word can describe it: Exciting. I went to RA just (well almost) to be able to enjoy the "Formula Ford with a couple of guest Hondas" race (in short referred as FF in the program, but I am digressing). I managed to get one of the best viewing locations: entrance of T6 just before the bridge, driver's right, no more than 5ft from the cars, blue flag on hand. The race was truly very impressive. I feel very bad that Reid Hazelton ended up not winning this year in spite of his usual great performance but all the several fast drivers would have been deserving winners. Nice to see Kautz quickly make his way to the front, and all the battling for positions. I unfortunately also saw AW smash his green nose cone on the huge inside curb at 6 but was elated to see him yet to progress ... topless, to a great finish. Leaving the track I actually thought that Valet had won it, but it was not to be I gather. Guys thank you for the beautiful display of what the "Formula Ford..." class can still do. Exciting.
    stommelen

PS: Any pictures of the field going up the hill to T6 out there?
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

Liked: 23

Default Thanks Again

Reid,

Thanks for the kind words. It was fun racing with you. To answer a question you asked a few months ago, the reason I was not on the grid for the June Sprints race was, as you said, not "our goal". Did not feel like risking the car that day.

Since my motor is in a box on it's way back, we will not be making it to The Glen. If Rand is willing, I would kindly let you use the free entry he offered me.

Quote Originally Posted by lc3 View Post
    Reid,

Thanks for the kind words. It was fun racing with you. To answer a question you asked a few months ago, the reason I was not on the grid for the June Sprints race was, as you said, not "our goal". Did not feel like risking the car that day.

Since my motor is in a box on it's way back, we will not be making it to The Glen. If Rand is willing, I would kindly let you use the free entry he offered me.

Back at ya Lew- I'd go side by side with you any day. Two bad Scotty wasn't up with us, that would have been a great 3 car battle.

Thank you for your offer, that is very generous and much appreciated. But it is still a matter of economics for me at this point in my life, and there just isn't anything in my budget for it. The tow alone would kill me, that is if I could even find a truck to borrow to get there.

Again, thank you and congrats on your win! Now, go wear the crap out of that National Championship jacket!

Liked: 3279

Congrats, L3! You look a bit like Jensen Button in this photo:

But YOU got the championship this year!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Lew, Reid, under normal circumstances free entries are not transferable but as it is in fact my birthday today I will make an exception and give myself and Reid and Lew a gift for all of us and allow Reid to use Lew's freebie.
    So Reid, must be someone out your way coming to the Glen you can hitch a ride with ?

Liked: 211

reid

if you do happen to find a ride and need a helping hand, paddock with us, we'll have a few hands to lend to help support your weekend

great race btw!
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Lew, Reid, under normal circumstances free entries are not transferable but as it is in fact my birthday today I will make an exception and give myself and Reid and Lew a gift for all of us and allow Reid to use Lew's freebie.
    So Reid, must be someone out your way coming to the Glen you can hitch a ride with ?

Thank you Mike, that is a very stand up and appreciated move. That said, I am really not jerking anyone around, the racing budget is flat broke and some. My annual budget is less than $8k and unless I want to go racing on the credit card I am tapped out. The cost of the broken apex joint, race gas at Watkins, F1600 tires, test day (I've never been to Watkins), brakes, and other things is more than I have. I feel bad that I can not take you guys up on your offer, as much as I would love to but I have to do the responsible thing and not let the racing become an addiction that I can't pay off. I just did a little quick math and even if my car magically showed up at Watkins ready to go for free, it would still cost a minimum $2200 without any wear and tear figured in. Besides, I haven't run that fat rear tire in 3 years! I wouldn't even know what to do.

So again, thank you very much. I do really appreciate the gesture and I'd love to be there but the responsible person in me (yeah...deep deep down somewhere...i think) just can't put out an expense that I have not budgeted for.

I'll be watching and following on Twitter, best of luck to all those at the Glen.

RH

Thank you Len! One thing that tends to get lost sometimes in the racing itself, is the great people that make up the community. Len, Steve Bamford, Lew, Mike Rand, and others have all offered help to get me there and that is much appreciated. If I ever hit the racing jackpot and can get a sponsor to commit (or if I hit payolla) I'd certainly be there.

RH

Liked: 2

Hey all,

I enjoyed racing with you all at my first runoffs. I had a blast and can't wait for next year. Congratulations to everyone for a safe race and of course to Cooper for the win.

Dave Loken #25

Liked: 157

Speedcast has not done the editing for individual races yet, but you can watch the FF race as part of the Saturday Afternoon Replay, the FF race starts at 188 minutes into the video:

http://www.speedcasttv.com/#/races/259

Default About the five engine swaps

Does anybody know if Kautz swapped entire engines, or just the bottom end?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 151

It looked to me like they were swapping entire engines.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information