Liked: 62

Default In Car Footage from NJMP

It was a great weekend at NJMP, good weather, decent fields, good racing even in the back of the pack, etc. Also nice to see other families with kids at the track and the general family friendly atmosphere the club promotes. Alison and Alex always feel welcome.

It was the first weekend so far in my very short racing career (5 weekends) that I ran consistent (for me) lap times, and I was "comfortable" on the track. The rookie class (what FRCCA calls Tyros) had been running seperate races all year, but bumped us into the FF class this race due to the limited number of Tyros (2) at recent events. While I qualified mid-pack on Sunday (with a 1:20 something), my lack of experience in traffic and on starts really showed both days, as you can see from the videos.

As you can see from the videos, I ended up with good racing at the back of the pack both days, which was fun. Unfortunately, I didn't exactly time the pass on the front straight on the final lap very well, and only got about half way by Cappy's car before the start finish line.

Still lots and lots to learn. The car seems to have decent horsepower and straight line speed, but as you can see from the video, I'm still much slower thru the breaking zone and out of the corner than the experienced guys.

A special thanks to John H for giving my son Alex the unused Formula B trophy. I told him it was for best behaved Boy, and it is now in a place of honor in his room. He was very excited.

The videos aren't the greatest quality, but do smooth out once the racing starts. Seems like I'm picking up some sort of vibration in the camera mount at slow speeds. Switching the Youtube viewer to 720p helps. They were shot with a Kodak Playfull on a home-made mount at 720p / 60 fps.

Saturday's Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF49q9OYnt8

Sunday's Race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbFeCtzdII

Hope someone enjoys them!

Glenn

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Looks like

you had fun on a really cool track!

PS No clutch needed on upshifts - it's costing you time!

Liked: 0

Awesome weekend and a great club. Sounds like your having as much fun as me Glenn. . I'm attaching a little footage from my in car and some random shots of the Fc's practicing. I will watch this over and over again till we are back on the track in Oct.! Hope you will be making it.http://youtu.be/VN6Sbw4TurI
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Liked: 0

Is that 5 weekends total of behind the wheel tracktime in any car?

Liked: 62

Glenn - Haven't tried clutchless shifting yet. Thats on my list of things to practice next year once I get better at consistent lap times, corner lines, and braking points.

TJCEZAR - Agreed it was a fun weekend. My car is actually in your video. Well it was briefly as your car flew by me on the beginning of the front straight

Jeff - No racing experience at all prior to this year (my wife thinks its an early mid-life crisis). So far this year:
    • Shenandoah - Couldn't run my car due to a mistake by the engine builder during the clutch install. One of the other drivers did let me use their car to make some of the practice sessions.
    • Beaverun - No incidents all weekend
    • Summit Point - Driver error (mine) caused me to tap the wall in Saturday's race, which ended the weekend for me. (Lesson was to acquire more track spares)
    • NJMP - No incidents all weekend
    • NJMP - No incident all weekend
    So I guess that's 5 weekends, with 2 of them being partial busts
    Last edited by wake74; 09.17.11 at 3:31 PM.

Thread Information