Thread: Pocono National

Liked: 174

Default Pocono National

Any results? Thanks!

Mark

Liked: 22

I have search mylaps, but been unable to find anything.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

It rained. The fog came in. Races were delayed. Races were shortened. Roger did not win because he was not there. Everybody went home wondering why they came and promised themselves they would not go next year. Just like most of the last 25 yrs or so of Pocono Nationals.

There were atleast 5 FVs there including Dean Curtis, Eugene Grimes, Hugh Maloney, and Bill Roche. From some pics I saw, they were running in that order, but don't know who won. Sorry!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 174

Greg,

I heard from Gary Blanarek who said he won but didn't mention anything else.

Mark

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I guess he was the 5th Fv. Being an outsider, no one bothered to include him in the photo gallery I saw.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Default Pocono National

I left the results in the trailer but I'll take a stab.
    There were 8 vees, the fog and rain scared none of them away while many in other classes with roofs and wipers high tailed it.
    If I could have found the exit in the fog I would have left....

Saturday (sunny)

Gary Blanarek
    Dave Scaler
    Eugene Grimes
    Hugh Maloney
    Rick Ruckman
    Andy Pastore
    John Pittman
    Dean Curtis (problems)

Sunday (miserable)

Gary "soggy bottom" Blanarek
    Dave "soggy bottom" Scaler
    Andy "soggy bottom" Pastore
    Rick "soggy bottom" Ruckman
    Bill "soggy bottom" Roche
    Hugh "soggy bottom" Maloney
    John "soggy bottom" Pitman
    Dean "soggy bottom" Curtis (problems)

Andy P.
    Last edited by ajpastore; 08.18.11 at 4:39 PM. Reason: Corrected order

Liked: 20

Is Pocono really that bad? Every time I hear someone take about Pocono they all seem to dislike it? Is it a bad design track?

Mark
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Gary Blanarek

I wasn't there but I heard that not only did Gary win both races but in the rain race he started from the pit lane and won by 16 seconds! Sounds like a pretty good drive by a talented driver! Btw, Jim Kearney was coaching him that weekend and that is where I got my info.

Ray

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Is Pocono really that bad? Every time I hear someone take about Pocono they all seem to dislike it? Is it a bad design track?

Mark
    Speaking from the FF point of view but I think it applies to all other classes as well including FV: It is a boring track and not very technical. If you have a lot of cars and they stay together in a big pack then it can be fun and exciting to race and watch as there is a lot of drafting given that you are on the oval part of the track for 80% of the lap. If you are running around alone it gets boring real quick. Plus your engine is at full throttle longer than at any other track we have ever been to so it puts a lot of strain on the car.

Add to all this, however, is that they have made a big mess of the bus stop on the back straight. The track added a NASCAR Safer Barrier to the INSIDE of the back straight after a big crash recently. The anchors for the Safer Barrier are in the ground and to form the anchors they poured big concrete foundations in the ground. The foundations and the Safer Barrier go right through the bus stop chicane. They remove the Safer Barrier for the SCCA races, but the concrete foundations remain. They did a piss-poor job of pouring the foundations so that there are two huge bumps, one at the entrance to the bus stop and one near the exit that really upset the car as you come into the chicane and go over the concrete.

Supposedly an announcement was made during the race weekend that SCCA would not be running that track configuration any more in the future and that big improvements were going to be made to the pavement of the entire track. Many years ago SCCA used to run the track counter-clockwise with no bus stop. Maybe they will go back to that configuration.

Liked: 13

Hey Tom; You left out the fact that the track management and staff are so pleasant, LOL

Liked: 22

Well done Gary. It looks like I made the right decision to withdraw from Pocono in favour of Nelson next week, although I generally do quite well in the rain.

Thread Information