Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 40 LBS

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Rule 20 is "It is delicious cake. You must eat it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    BTW I gooooooooooogled rule number 20 and it definitely has something to do with cake.
    You guys relying on Urban Dictionary for current and up to date rules of the internet are totes lame.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rules-of-the-internet

Methinks it best that I not link to RulesOfTheInternet Dot Com in this context... but you know, feel free to type in the url on your own. Suckers.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Rennie the problem is really that the Pro series will allow it and club racing will not. I agree that this a great class but the drivers that have installed the systems will not take it on and off to switch back and if they are using club events to test then they will not want to run the ballast. Maybe they will but I hear what they are saying, I would hope that the club does to.
    Seriously though - this is still a MacGuffin. They do not have to take the system off and put it back on for Pro races. They just have a different weight schedule for each series, based on their configuration.

This is precisely what used to be the case between club and Pro FA, back when the Ralts could still run with the Pro series. Pro had some slightly different weight requirements, along with some other checks that we simply don't have in club. It's a minor change in the scheme of things, all things considered.

Let me expand on that by simply commenting on a particular point you made - i.e., "they will not want to run the ballast". I have this picture of a spoiled toddler screaming at the top of his lungs because a toy got taken away. OK, yes, it's annoying - I've got 45-55lbs of lead in our Ralt, so yeah, I get the PITA sentiment. But really - is the sky falling here, is the class falling apart because that last 40lbs of minimum weight is causing tectonic shifts in the foundation of the class?

No. I humbly submit: grow up, work from within the system to fix it, and get racing.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Not only does that thing exist...

but you have deprived everyone here of cake.

IMO cake supersedes the earlier rule 20. I don't care if the cake is a lie.

Liked: 7

Non-Apexspeed-FBers could be encouraged to get onboard and participate, but I would think a Club poll should remain voluntary, and open to all Members' POV.

Poll Participants would need to verify their club membership, and this would require some administration; sigh. One way: We receive automated response emails when letters are submitted to the CRB; the CRB's feedback page requires a current club membership number, right? So one's automated response email could be forwarded to the administrator volunteer and serve as the poll voucher, if you will.

This Apexspeed polling process might be subject to dirty campaign tricks, of course. Some oversight will be required. I'll volunteer for this one, and start the poll's thread if I get some encouragement...

Anything we do for this 40lb Issue needs to be completed before the October BOD meeting. When does that take place?

Rick Kean

Liked: 43

Rennie,

I agree with you about all this crying about this issue. My car is more than twice the 40lbs over the minimum weight. Does that mean I should have stayed home the last two seasons because I felt my car wasn't as competitive as others. This is club racing fella's. We are racing for plastic or wood awards. Even in the projected pro series the chances of a return in the black is very slim. What has gone on with the feelings of pride behind running and developing a Formula 1000 car. I'm staying in no matter what and will rise to the challenges what ever the rules dictate. These cars are still one of the fastest and fun per dollar spent.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by ASRF1000 View Post
    I'm sorry Daryl, but your relationship to FB is what?
    Interested in how this rule gets written and enforced as the technology will certainly trickle down to other mc powered classes.

I have written zero letters on this issue since I don't race in the class and shouldn't have an official opinion. Which doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DonArm View Post
    Nope, he must be bored with his class, CFC, so he's over here stirring things up.
    Confusing me with somebody else....never owned or raced a CFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    Could you please go out and provide data to substantiate your claims. Most interested and curious to see.
    Flip this the other way around...I'm certain you have access to Gb's of data. Show me data traces where a FB driver shifted at the exact rpm that was optimum for best performance 30x in a row, much less everytime in a 30 minute race.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Novak View Post
    In Jon's defense, I think he does a good job of following the club rules and being SANE about them. He has been more than reasonable working with the competitors. I cannot say that for the CRB.
    I wasn't attacking Jon, just clarrifying his intent.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I don't race in the class and shouldn't have an official opinion. Which doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.
    Yeah, I drove an FB a while back and now I...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    but you have deprived everyone here of cake.

IMO cake supersedes the earlier rule 20. I don't care if the cake is a lie.
    How did I know you'd be the guy to actually go to that URL? But take heart, there is always Rule 51.

Cheers,
    Rennie

I clicked the link you posted. However, I know what's on the one you referenced but didn't make hot, so I thought the Ron Swanson line was appropriate. I don't need to see it again to know that much.

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar

Default Daryl

Interested in how this rule gets written and enforced as the technology will certainly trickle down to other mc powered classes.

I have written zero letters on this issue since I don't race in the class and shouldn't have an official opinion. Which doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.

Confusing me with somebody else....never owned or raced a CFC.

Flip this the other way around...I'm certain you have access to Gb's of data. Show me data traces where a FB driver shifted at the exact rpm that was optimum for best performance 30x in a row, much less everytime in a 30 minute race.

I wasn't attacking Jon, just clarrifying his intent.

Really you truly believe that in qualify or race conditions, with corners that will dictate different shift point strategies not to mention traffic negotiation that you want to honestly shift at a certain magical/ optimal rpm all the time..

You would lose evertime daryl against equal machines same driver.. unless of course it was an oval and just single car qualify !! and only used one gear.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    Really you truly believe that in qualify or race conditions, with corners that will dictate different shift point strategies not to mention traffic negotiation that you want to honestly shift at a certain magical/ optimal rpm all the time.
    No I don't believe that all conditions call for the same shift point strategies. I can think of numerous instances where you might want to grab a gear a bit sooner or hang onto one just a bit longer (thus my one paddle for on-demand and another for queued)....what I'm talking about are ALL those other times where the optimum acceleration through the gears is desired.

I don't know if it was a legal mod or not, but I once raced a Ferrari F360 Modena Challenge car (wasn't mine) that queued it's downshifts---I guarantee such a system is an advantage. If you've raced a system with both features I think you'd agree....especially in qualifying with a clear track ahead/behind.

ASRF1000

Daryl,

Your talking about separate paddles for on-demand and pre-selected. No such system is in use or exists. Your talking in hypothetical terms. I guess you could bring all sorts of options to the table...including my chipmunk system, but it doesn't really matter as they don't exist.

Stick to what is relevant.

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default I must find a way to shift gears!!!!!!

LJS Motorsports

Banned

Your talking about separate paddles for on-demand and pre-selected. No such system is in use or exists. Your talking in hypothetical terms. I guess you could bring all sorts of options to the table...including my chipmunk system, but it doesn't really matter as they don't exist. Stick to what is relevant.
    You mean that no such system is in use or exists to your knowledge.

Ignoring what existed in motorsports outside of the little FB world is part of the reason we are where we are at today.

If you think your chipmunk system is a concern that needs to be addressed, draft a rule to prevent its' use If you don't, don't. Same goes with a system that would allow you to select an "on-demand" mode or a "queued" mode for shifting. Doesn't have to be separate paddles, could be a simple switch on the wheel or paddle.

ASRF1000

So what your saying Daryl is that you are for a ban on assisted shifters and if they are allowed, you are for the 40lb penalty....an I correct?

Banned

So what your saying Daryl is that you are for a ban on assisted shifters and if they are allowed, you are for the 40lb penalty....an I correct?
    No, I think the shift system and ECU's need to go hand in hand; both completely open with a larger penalty OR completely mechanical shifter and stock ECU w/o penalty.

I really don't see how you can play the middle ground while writing an enforceable rule, but time will tell.

Liked: 896

No, I think the shift system and ECU's need to go hand in hand; both completely open with a larger penalty OR completely mechanical shifter and stock ECU w/o penalty.

I really don't see how you can play the middle ground while writing an enforceable rule, but time will tell.
    Daryl, what does the engine ECU have to do with the shifter system?

Do you also want totally stock engine ECU's? If so you should have been on the rules committee.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Why should an open ECU incur a weight penalty? An ECU mainly controls fuel and ignition. Any performance improvement is realised only from optimizing tuning parameters. It does not add compression, or alter valve timing or lift. An open ECU on a stock motor will not allow that engine to make any more horsepower than the OEM "flashed" ECU, assuming comparable levels of tuning skill. An open ECU will allow all brands of motors to be used in the class, not just the easily reflashed brand- Suzuki. This is a discussion for another time, but to not allow open ECUs is limiting the available pool of powerplants, and to suggest adding a weight penalty for an aftermarket ECU indicates a lack of understanding of the function and abilities of an ECU.

Now, back to the great shifter debate-

Open ECU will allow traction control.

The MOTEC ECU unit is a Supercomputer compared to the OEM + Piggyback units.
    It is also priced like a Supercomputer.

According to the rulebook, FB is a restricted class.

Does this not mean that they are trying to keep costs from escalating out of control?
    What attracts me to this class is that it should be significantly less expensive than DSR.
    (or at least where DSR is heading)

ASRF1000

Fred,

FB IS a lot less than DSR. Open ECU's are not the answer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Daryl, what does the engine ECU have to do with the shifter system?

Do you also want totally stock engine ECU's? If so you should have been on the rules committee.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Just my opinion Jay. There are work-arounds to the shifter wire rule by utilizing capabilities of an ECU. IMO if they are both open, it's easy to police and easy to enforce

I prefer rules stability and technology/ingenuity creep over ever evolving rules trying to contain/slow/discourage technology and ingenuity.

Just not a fan of rules for the sake of having rules....they must be enforceable or it's all honor system...based on my experience the honor system in competitive sports doesn't always work out so well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herrod View Post
    Why should an open ECU incur a weight penalty?
    Because of the potential to control things beyond just timing and fuel curves. Again all or nothing are the best options in my opinion.

Liked: 23

I'm with Dan Robinson- my car's overweight. But, I should be close by the Jan. Nat's. I have a mechanical shifter. I'm always short on money- just ask anyone who's seen all the hungry kids hanging around my trailer. I'm older, and not a threat to the guys that are usually on the podium. BUT, I am not a quitter, I will keep on racing(FB) until my doctor says I can't, or my wife kills me. I might even do some of the pro series if I can sell one or more of the hungry kids.

Now, can everyone can it, write some constructive letters, and go racing?

Brett

Liked: 11

This thread almost had a hint of productivity, then that died again.

The original philosophy of FB was high performance, low cost. Being that we saw 120 national entries vs 127 for DSR which has been around a lot longer, people were attracted to this philosophy. The success/ growth has been amazing, esp considering the teething issues with the motors.

Why the need to creep is beyond me. The cars are great with stock motors, push-pull cable shifters etc. They won't attract the karters without paddles? Really? I think they won't attract karters if they cost 100k. 12,000rpm motors, sequential trans in an open wheel format is pretty cool!

We already have DSR. Carbon springs, ceramic brakes, built motors, etc. It does not seem to be a growing class. If you have gobs of dough and want to innovate, that is the class for you!

The rules do need some attention. If it were me, I'd be looking at ways to attract more people as the original philosophy did. Motor creep, shifter, aero... whatever. Right now we have a budding pro series that if we combined with a rule set that attracted new
    racers could make for a killer combo. The well funded teams buy new stuff, club racers buy the pro team stuff after a year or two. Club racing grows, pro series is successful and life is good.

What needs to happen is similiar to what happened when we (I believe it was Sean, Mike, Rob & myself) wrote the orig rules. Get organized, fix the loopholes that Richard and Keith say are so obvious and format the class so that growth and participation are amoung the top priorities.

K.I.S.S.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

F1000champ

Sean,

I agree with you that costs need to be maintained in this class and for the most part, they are. Assisted shifter systems are and have already been let out of the barn. So, I see no reason to back track and now place a penalty on them, and make those who purchased these units pay a price. I'm certainly not going to say the rules are perfect. It's hard to find a set of rules for almost any class or series that are. But, we have a set of rules and its best if we live with them, make clarifications in areas where there may be questions and forge forward.

The fact is that these systems are available to everyone. They are not restricted in that sense. They have also not been proven to have any significant performance advantage to warrant such a large penalty as is being recommended.

It's the owner's choice whether to use a mechanical or assisted shifter, just as its the owner's choice whether to run an expensive shock package or aluminum caliper system, etc. There are no penalties for those and may even have a more profound performance advantage than a shifter.

In racing there is always going to be the haves and have nots, its just the makeup of this sport. There are many spec type series out there and for some it may be the way to go, but this class was not designed to be spec. It was designed to evolve and grow. I believe now, we have to stay firm on the rules we currently have, keep them stable and if there are new systems of any kind coming into the picture, they need to be approved prior to their use, not after the fact. Prior approval of systems will keep this shifter debate from happening, but once approved, there should not be a penalty after the fact.

Equality measures (weight penalties) have no place in Formula car racing. Those measures are good for production based series that run a multitude of models, weights, engine sizes, etc.

There are many cost containment areas in the FB rules (ie: stock engines, No carbon fiber, no carbon brakes, etc) yet enough areas where teams can still be creative and innovative (ie: aluminum calipers, shocks, aero, etc.)

Right now, you can purchase a new turn-key car for around $55G from several of the top manufacturers. Add a few options like shifter system, advanced data system and you're up around $65G. Still a relatively low cost when compared to new cars in other classes, and the cost of operation is also relatively low.

This is a class that welcomes innovation, within a certain limitation. It is one area that attracted me to the class over a spec type series. To have 15-20 of these machines racing on track will be a tremendous show.

It is my hope that the BOD rules against such a weight assessment as I don't believe it is in the best interest of the growth of this class.

I don't believe making FB an open class is the right thing at all. You are correct, what is going to attract karters and new teams is cost and rules stability. These cars have the performance above many other classes, yet are relatively cost effective to purchase and run.
    Last edited by F1000champ; 09.30.11 at 9:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Clayton View Post
    Seriously though - this is still a MacGuffin. They do not have to take the system off and put it back on for Pro races. They just have a different weight schedule for each series, based on their configuration.

This is precisely what used to be the case between club and Pro FA, back when the Ralts could still run with the Pro series. Pro had some slightly different weight requirements, along with some other checks that we simply don't have in club. It's a minor change in the scheme of things, all things considered.

Let me expand on that by simply commenting on a particular point you made - i.e., "they will not want to run the ballast". I have this picture of a spoiled toddler screaming at the top of his lungs because a toy got taken away. OK, yes, it's annoying - I've got 45-55lbs of lead in our Ralt, so yeah, I get the PITA sentiment. But really - is the sky falling here, is the class falling apart because that last 40lbs of minimum weight is causing tectonic shifts in the foundation of the class?

No. I humbly submit: grow up, work from within the system to fix it, and get racing.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Good point Rennie.

Screw the shifters; mass dampers are where its at. No weight penalty, either!
    Ken

Liked: 1879

Why the need to creep is beyond me. The cars are great with stock motors, push-pull cable shifters etc.

What needs to happen is similiar to what happened when we (I believe it was Sean, Mike, Rob & myself) wrote the orig rules.

Creep? What creep? You wrote the rules to allow assisted shifting, and now that people are actually using exactly what you allowed, it is suddenly "creep" ?

You wrote the rules to allow "bodywork" out to the middle of the rear tires, and suddenly at last years Runoffs, Brandon and Schweitz's bodywork - configured exactly as was discussed publicly here on this forum - became highly controversial, and very nearly declared illegal.

You wrote it, you were warned about what you wrote in some areas, and now you are seeing the fruits of your labor.

And so far, I'd say that the product is pretty damned good.

You should be patting yourself on the back instead of complaining!

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Screw the shifters; mass dampers are where its at. No weight penalty, either!
    Don't be surprised if they show up soon!

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Don't be surprised if they show up soon!
    I ran one in my car. Right between the steering wheel and the fuel tank.
    Ken

Best way I have found to do this is by filling the cockpit with water and Portland cement after the driver is belted in place. Try it, you'll like it.

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post

I wish that I understood why this topic is such a "hotbutton" for so many...
    brandon, the reason this topic has become a "hotbutton" is because when you first installed your geartronics you raved about how much faster you can shift etc. , now it seems people are saying it is not much faster, well which is it? you have to see why those of us who havent tried one including the crb could be a little confused, i dont want to see anyone penalised but i think that for the good of the class people considering joining us need to know that they dont have to spend 5k plus to be competitive, i have had numerous people talk to me about the class and they have all told me the potential to have to spend an extra 5k is what has scared them off, i dont think it is a coincidence that we have had zero growth in our class since electronic shift systems evolved, perhaps there is a compromise that we can all agree on so that we can get on with growing the class to its true potential, best regards, jeremy hill

Here is a copy of the rules we wrote for shifting the 600cc MC powered cars.

This allows for the use of mechanical paddle shifting and throttle blipping as is used on several FB & F6 cars right now, including the 2nd place qualifier at the Runoffs.

[FONT=Arial]D. All gear changes must be initiated and made by the driver. Only mechanical gear shifting mechanisms are allowed. This may include cables, rods, or other mechanical linkage systems. Any other assisted shifting mechanisms are specifically not allowed. This prohibition is intended to eliminate the use of electric solenoid shifters, air-shifters etc. Other similar devices are NOT permitted. Devices that allow pre-selected gear changes are also prohibited.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]E. The clutch assembly is unrestricted except that the clutch engagement system shall be operated solely by driver input and may be mechanical or hydraulic in nature. The driver’s hands or feet must manually operate the clutch and there shall be no operation of the clutch by any assisted method. There shall be no modifications to the engine/transmission to enable the use of replacement clutch components or assemblies.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Obviously it was the intent of the FB rules committee to allow some level of assisted shifting. However we felt that it was much more important to control costs in the 600 class so this is what we wanted. Not a terribly complicated solution.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Thanks ... Jay Novak[/FONT]

Has there been zero growth because of the shifters or because of the stewing controversy concerning the shifters? If all of the posts with flawed logic where removed from this thread it would be 1/10th the length.

If only the guys (the ones like Jeremy who are fully competent enough to be trusted to not wad the car up) with concerns about the system's advantages could test drive Geartronics, I think this would be settled.

Liked: 84

Not all shifters cost anywhere near $5k. The flatshifter (Novak and a bunch of other guys use) is $2k for the full blown system and much less if you want just certain components.

ASRF1000

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Here is a copy of the rules we wrote for shifting the 600cc MC powered cars.

This allows for the use of mechanical paddle shifting and throttle blipping as is used on several FB & F6 cars right now, including the 2nd place qualifier at the Runoffs.

[FONT=Arial]D. All gear changes must be initiated and made by the driver. Only mechanical gear shifting mechanisms are allowed. This may include cables, rods, or other mechanical linkage systems. Any other assisted shifting mechanisms are specifically not allowed. This prohibition is intended to eliminate the use of electric solenoid shifters, air-shifters etc. Other similar devices are NOT permitted. Devices that allow pre-selected gear changes are also prohibited.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]E. The clutch assembly is unrestricted except that the clutch engagement system shall be operated solely by driver input and may be mechanical or hydraulic in nature. The driver’s hands or feet must manually operate the clutch and there shall be no operation of the clutch by any assisted method. There shall be no modifications to the engine/transmission to enable the use of replacement clutch components or assemblies.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Obviously it was the intent of the FB rules committee to allow some level of assisted shifting. However we felt that it was much more important to control costs in the 600 class so this is what we wanted. Not a terribly complicated solution.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Thanks ... Jay Novak[/FONT]
    Those are great rules for the 600 class as it sets exactly what will be allowed. If this is where FB should have been, it should have been written this way in the beginning.

However, they are not the same for FB and since assisted shifting systems are already in play, there should not be a change in the rules to now outlaw them or place a high penalty on them. Assisted shifters are now an established part of FB and it should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by JEREMY HILL View Post
    brandon, the reason this topic has become a "hotbutton" is because when you first installed your geartronics you raved about how much faster you can shift etc. , now it seems people are saying it is not much faster, well which is it? you have to see why those of us who havent tried one including the crb could be a little confused, i dont want to see anyone penalised but i think that for the good of the class people considering joining us need to know that they dont have to spend 5k plus to be competitive, i have had numerous people talk to me about the class and they have all told me the potential to have to spend an extra 5k is what has scared them off, i dont think it is a coincidence that we have had zero growth in our class since electronic shift systems evolved, perhaps there is a compromise that we can all agree on so that we can get on with growing the class to its true potential, best regards, jeremy hill

The conflicting information here on geartronics popularity is also confusing.
    In some posts, there are only 10% of the field with it, in other posts, it is more than 50% of the field.

brandon, the reason this topic has become a "hotbutton" is because when you first installed your geartronics you raved about how much faster you can shift etc. , now it seems people are saying it is not much faster, well which is it?
    Faster only in a relative sense to his original mechanical linkage - the Citation frame layout makes it rather problematic to get a really good system working properly and consistently enough for his tastes. Hardly indicative as to how other frame layouts allow cable/linkage routing.

ASRF1000

Here are the correct stats....100% of those running Geartronics are using Geartronics....LOL

Actually, the number (Geartronics) in relation to the overall (total) FB community is somewhat small, however, the use of some type of shifting assist (which will be affected by a 40lb rule) is much greater.

The % in the field depends on who's running in the field (race).

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information