Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 LBS

Liked: 43

Default 40 LBS

Does anybody have any solid data or idea of what 40 lbs of additional weight will do potentially to a Formula 1000 car? (Lap times)

Does the 4% equation actually work directly in comparative lap time also?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

I thought this was a "5 years into the marriage" thread, my bad...

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

You're not far off. I added 40 lbs. to the car, and to tell the truth, I wasn't really as interested in racing it as I used to be, and the times I tried to race it, the car either had a headache or was too tired, so I just would roll over and watch videos on the internet of younger, lighter race cars with giant, fake shifters until I fell asleep.

Liked: 3787

I thought it was some sort of magic equilvalency like: 5lb = 1HP.

In that case it would be like being 8hp down. That may only work for acceleration. Not sure of the formula for effect on cornering, braking.

Default I realise now

that I shoulda taken a pic of my keyboard and screen covered in atomized peach tea.

I've not figured it out yet, but I will get you back, maybe at the R/O's, maybe not.
    It'll be a suprise, just like what just happened.

BTW - Awesome, def "Best of A/S" material from Josh!

Liked: 30

Starke....you get post of the year! Beer through nostrils!

Russ

Liked: 309

Pure comedy gold...

But on a more serious note, the Club has received only three emails on the weight/shifter topic since it came out in Fastrack. Are you guys happy with 40 lbs? Is it too much...too little? Leave it the f*** alone or I'm converting my car to FX? Active FB competitors especially should write in: CRB Letter Submission Form.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1871

C"mon, guys, get your votes submitted!

Liked: 6

PLEASE LEAVE THIS CLASS ALONE AND GO GET A LIFE !!!!!!!! Find another class to screw up and harrass.

Quote Originally Posted by DonArm View Post
    PLEASE LEAVE THIS CLASS ALONE AND GO GET A LIFE !!!!!!!! Find another class to screw up and harrass.
    Please cut-n-paste this into the CRB link I provide above. Ranting here is like peeing upwind.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

Default Stan, so very right ---

So much energy has been wasted in the rants printed here. Thanks for publishing an easy link to the powers that be.

Here's what I sent:

Sirs,

I was an SCCA racer in the 1970s (FB/AS/DSR; CenDiv). After many years away from the SCCA, the new Formula B catagory provoked me to come back. I am now constructing a one-off Formula B/1000 car to provide for some as-yet-unamed young asperant driver.

But the "target" is changing. The catagory is being repeatedly peppered with potential rules changes that have profound ramifications. Participants are confused and upset. The catagory might even lose it's National Champion to a non-SCCA series (in protest of these changing rules).

I ask that FB be left as it is at this time; ALLOWING the Geartronics-type shifters without the punative 40 lb. weight penalty. The weight pentalty would be a defacto ban on these shifters -- a ban you recently (and wisely) decided against.

I ask the Board to leave Formula B alone at this critical, formative time -- to allow it to solidify and mature; allow it to find itself. Even the proposal of profound rules changes at this time is having an extremely deletory effect. The confusion is driving potential participants away.

Formula B is not broken. Let the catagory mature with the current rules left in place, unaltered.

Respectfully,

Christopher Crowe
    La Crescenta, CA
    Last edited by Christopher Crowe; 08.09.11 at 2:20 PM. Reason: typical bonehead spelling

Liked: 20

Well said Chris.

Liked: 0

all this banter and complaining over a measley shifting system... if you're too weak to use a push/pull cable, it really doesn't bother me what you use, just one more thing to go wrong in the middle of a race.

but if a shifter system can cause this much discussion, i can't wait to see what happens when someone can actually get a BMW to work. the internet might just blow up

Quote Originally Posted by archuzzi View Post
    the BMW will just blow up
    Fixed it for you.

Shift system camps:

Which camp is the one that is still stuck on the Bohr model?

To put it into perspective I guess the cave man with the stick lever should be wearing a nomex driversuit as well.

Dang it Josh, with an eye for detail like that you should be prepping my car too.

Just saying, the lever is still state of the art.

Default I don't see any smiley faces

Utah Russ and BC Taylor - Somea these guys are gonna think you guys are hurling insults at folks not using a pure mechanical linkage.

I however know better - you guys are all jacked up (rightfully so) about winning some National races, it's cool, we feel ya.

I was once on a flight to Tel Aviv, and with the clarity of hindsight I know now that the pilot was one R Werner - "This is your Captain speaking. Thanks for choosing ________ Airlines today. We realise you have many options in regard to choosing an air carrier, and will do our utmost to make your flight safe, smooth, and hassle free!
    However, before we can push back from the gate, I have been told there's some twit in 36G who refuses to turn off his electronic device! There is an option if you choose to keep your iPod powered up while in flight, but it's kind of unpleasant for roughly 95% of the general population, and involves a rather invasive, purely non-surgical, outpatient friendly installation procedure!"

Friendly Skies, Indeed!

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Utah Russ and BC Taylor - Somea these guys are gonna think you guys are hurling insults at folks not using a pure mechanical linkage.

I however know better - you guys are all jacked up (rightfully so) about winning some National races, it's cool, we feel ya.

I was once on a flight to Tel Aviv, and with the clarity of hindsight I know now that the pilot was one R Werner - "This is your Captain speaking. Thanks for choosing ________ Airlines today. We realise you have many options in regard to choosing an air carrier, and will do our utmost to make your flight safe, smooth, and hassle free!
    However, before we can push back from the gate, I have been told there's some twit in 36G who refuses to turn off his electronic device! There is an option if you choose to keep your iPod powered up while in flight, but it's kind of unpleasant for roughly 95% of the general population, and involves a rather invasive, purely non-surgical, outpatient friendly installation procedure!"

Friendly Skies, Indeed!
    What's the weight penalty for an iPod on board the FB?

Default Funny you should ask, #1

I'll be doing just that at the RO's.
    I got the 13 yr old kid down the street to hack the thing, which will now see fully automatic, up and down shifts, all while I go all "Iron Eagle" slippin' under the wire!

Tech THAT!!

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Dixon View Post
    What's the weight penalty for an iPod on board the FB?
    Tired of listening to all of the awesome advice I give over the radio?

Liked: 273

Default Letters sent

I love all this humor but seriously guys lets get those letters in... LIKE RIGHT NOW...might take a whole 10 minutes of your time to put your thoughts in writing.

We can't roll over on this one
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default OK Dad, I'll do it right after I take out the garbage...

I just did send mine to the link provided by Stan.
    Thanks Stan!

Liked: 23

Just sent mine in. I kept it simple, basically telling them the class will lose it's national status due to lack of participation.

And as we all know, that would be a crying shame for such a young, innovative class.

Liked: 7

Default Sent

Letter sent in favor of leaving the class alone. Short and sweet.

Jerry

Liked: 30

Letter sent to require a stick and two boulders. Anything else requires 2 stones penalty weight.

Actually I've decided I don't care how you all shift.

Sorry, but I think having the second boulder as a fulcrum means it is no longer direct acting.

Liked: 20

Letter sent. No penalty, leave it alone. Shifter's Choice!

Letter sent to leave rule as is. I enjoy these threads too much to change anything now!

Liked: 0

Default no insult

i'm not insulting anyone, i really don't care what anyone uses to shift, and i don't think it makes much difference, personal preference only

c'mon coop, you know us canadians are too nice for that kind of stuff. EH?

Liked: 7

Default Hands Off FB

Letter sent

Rick

Liked: 84

I just sent in my letter asking to ban drivers that are in favor of banning shifters. I'm sure these drivers are too old to be driving on the streets let alone racing on a track! hope I don't get in trouble with AARP!

F1000champ

There will not be a weight penalty in the Formula 1000 Championship Series.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Results speak for themselves. Of the 10 races that made up the F1000 Pro Series in 2011 only one race was won by a air shifter car. Not only that but you are already penalitized with weight just installing the shifter.

All this I stated in the letter to the CRB.

The F1000 Pro Series does not intend to run with any kind of weight penalty for air shifter cars in 2012.

Russ we'll see ya in 2012 I just know we will. You're gonna to get bored flying that plane around cross country.....damn, that sounds like work!

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Thomas,

Did any of the cars have a "Flat Shifter"? if they did the 40 LB penalty would apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    The F1000 Pro Series does not intend to run with any kind of weight penalty for air shifter cars in 2012.
    Does this mean that if the BoD approves the rule you'll be running your races at non-SCCA events? Just asking...as I couldn't find anything about the 2012 schedule on your website. Thanks.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Results speak for themselves. Of the 10 races that made up the F1000 Pro Series in 2011 only one race was won by a air shifter car. Not only that but you are already penalitized with weight just installing the shifter.
    You aren't already penalized by installing the system as long as you can still make minimum weight and the series/class doesn't have any restrictions on the amount of ballast one may utilize or where it must be located. However, I understand your point; someone who installs the system must spend more effort/money elsewhere to otherwise arrive at the same weight as the next guy.

Way too many variables to look at results. Besides we can make the statistics mean anything we want. Clearly your results suggest that the non-air shifter cars should have a 40# weight penalty.

Congrats on the series early success!

Liked: 1871

Stan:

Why would that matter? The series rules are the series rules, regardless of the sanctioning body and what it's rules might be for a similar class, aren't they?

Liked: 66

Default Taking one for the team....

Okay, I wrote my letter stating that I am against the weight penalty. This is on behalf of the entire F1000 class, as I am one of the few who would actually benefit from the proposal.

I will explain...

Currently I am significantly above the 1000 pound limit - and yes, I have a Geartronics. So, for me, the 40 pound penalty means nothing as I am already well beyond the minimum.

So, if I were really selfish (instead of just marginally selfish) I would not have voiced any opinion and let it run its course, and if they instituted the penalty it would merely bring the field closer to me in terms of weight.

However, because in my view "moving the goalposts" in this class is horse manure, I wrote my letter indicating as much. So I am just another person who voiced to the CRB to 'leave FB alone'.

Anyone who agrees can buy me a cold beer when they see me.

Cheers,

John

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information