Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked: 10

Default Hoosier FST Round 11 - the ARRC at Road Atlanta

Making a case for why you need to go to this meeting!

Ok, so I know we are only just over half way into the season so why I am plugging our last round at Road Atlanta now?

Well because of its location it is an extra commitment for most (time, money and energy) to go - but if you plan NOW there is much more chance it will actually happen.

I can tell you this is really one meeting and one track thats worth going to, and this year it will have the added bonus of being (i) Our last round, (ii) Quite possibly the deciding round for the championship and (ii) Our season trophies will be awarded, (iii) it's always a lot of fun!

Did I mention the track is just awesome...its a real drivers track, and I think suits our cars and makes for close racing. - there's nothing like firing under the bridge and watching the track plunge away from you and needing blind faith you have the car positioned in the right place.

The meeting is always well organised and well run, the people are friendly and the Saturday night dinner is great.

So if I have managed to convince you here's a couple of things to be aware of...

This is a Friday/Saturday deal, the good news is you have Sunday to travel home! There are two qualifying session on the Friday. For those that want to practice -there are 4 practice sessions on Thursday - which it pays to try and do if you have never been there before - the track takes some laps to learn.

So start planning now.......

Rob

Liked: 0

I'm planning on it!

An suggested accommodations? Mary wants to know what the weather is like in Atlanta the first week of November.

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Default The Weather - Well its varies

Bob

Last year we had very cold temps, rain and even hail but that was a little unusal - good news is its certainly not 97 so it makes the driving more comfortable. Previous years its been sunny and nice temps in the high 60s with night time temps lower.

Accomodations. There is nothing right by the track - Unless you want to stay at the Chateau Elan - which is very nice but will eat into the racing budget.

We have generally stayed around Flowery Branch/Gainsville/Braselton - they have the usual hotels - I know some of the folks have stayed at http://lakelanierlodges.com/ they could give you commentary on those. The first year we rented a house over on the lake, which was good for a bigger group.

Rob

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    I'm planning on it!

An suggested accommodations? Mary wants to know what the weather is like in Atlanta the first week of November.

Bob
    Road Atlanta temperatures for early November:

Average High 66, average Low 46

Record High 89, Record Low 14
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default Roll Call

Ok I know its still 2.5 months away but who is planning to go at this stage???

So far I have yes's for:

Rob Clark
    Bob Stack
    Jarod Smith
    Doug Seim

Who else is planning on making the trip?

What about the locals??

Liked: 25

Default Add me it

Add me in as planning to go

Sam

Liked: 3

I'll be there.
    For the first timers, its a real eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by dd46637 View Post
    I'll be there.
    For the first timers, its a real eye opener.
    OK As a first timer I guess i would like to know, chould you share a bit on what will be slapping me in the face?

Sam

Liked: 58

Default it helps if they clank

Road Atlanta is one of those tracks that has a few elements that require a little more intestinal fortitude than other places. Not as much as it did before the Panoz years but its still quite a challenge. Plan to attend the test day.

Doug FST 5

Doug's got it spot on, there are some significant pucker spots on this track - but its about carrying speed through fast corners.

Turn 1 is fast!! (front straight is downhill) but you need to carry as much speed as possible up the hill so its a fine line on when to lift or not.

Turn 2 s over the crest,completey blind and you need to be in the right spot to set up for 3 - which is also a blind tight right hander. The next complex is straight foward but its down hill through the essess and then a fast up hill left at 5 - again trick is to carry enough speed up the hill but not too much that your out in the weeds.

Turn 7 is critical to get a good run onto the long back straight and you arrive at it at at speed so braking and turn in have to be spot on or your slow to the straight.

Lots of drafting opportunity down the back stright then its a hard down hill breaking zone into 10A&B up the hill again and then the best corner on the track under the bridge the track just disappears you can't see the track let alone the apex....you have to use the marks on the bridge to get your car lined up for the fast down hill sweeper at 12......

Then repeat 20 times....

Default Roll Call - ARRC

The championship may be decided but there is still a chance to taste success at the final round at the ARRC.

I know some are still celebrating while others are mulling repairs from the weekend but its time to start planning your assault on Road Atlanta. Here's the list - if your in the maybe's let us know your plans

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski

Maybe?
    Randy Shinn
    Reece Everard
    Jason Steeb
    Jim Nash
    Gary Sharp
    Dave Blevins
    Allen Adderley
    Greg Schings or SR Renter 3

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer

Preliminary info can be found at

http://www.atlantascca.org/documents...%20Planner.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    OK As a first timer I guess i would like to know, chould you share a bit on what will be slapping me in the face?

Sam
    Sam - you can just follow me around.

I'm planning to be there - still trying to sort the logistics of getting me car down there, but there may be a few different options. Goal is to get into Atlanta Wednesday night so I can run the test sessions on Friday.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Sam - you can just follow me around.

I'm planning to be there - still trying to sort the logistics of getting me car down there, but there may be a few different options. Goal is to get into Atlanta Wednesday night so I can run the test sessions on Friday.
    Bob,

Would that be following you around as in just before I lap you???

Now I am not even sure you had "REAL" tow vehicle engine problems on the way to Mid-Ohio. I think you stayed home and were just hiding from the "Citation Challenge"

Our plans should match I really need the test day, see you Wednesday night. We can try to find our way around together to be ready for Friday.

Sam

Sounds like a deal Sam - and yes, it was a REAL problem. my wallet is still crying (whimpering more like)
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 202

Goal is to get into Atlanta Wednesday night so I can run the test sessions on Friday.
    Just to clarify, the track-sanctioned test day is on THURSDAY (Nov 3)!

Two 15-minute qualifying sessions on Friday, then the 20-lap (or 40 minute) Championship race is on Saturday. That allows you to get an early start home on Sunday unless you want to stick around and watch the Pro Enterprises folks do their stuff.

Registration should be open by the end of September.

Liked: 2

Count me in.Dave

Default Roll Call - Update

Great Dave!

Updated list.....I think we can target to have a double digit field - based on last year that would make us the biggest force in our race group!

Trying to convince your team to go - well Road Atlanta does provide track laps in the Friday and Saturday lunch breaks so they can get out in the tow vehicle and see what the track is like - there are also some great viewing spots at this track for them to enjoy the action.

So those on the 'maybe' list let us know are ya in or out!! or

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Dave Blevins

Maybe?
    Randy Shinn
    Reece Everard
    Jason Steeb
    Jim Nash
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer

http://www.atlantascca.org/documents...%20Planner.pdf

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default Road Atlanta

Decided to give it a go so we will see you guys there. Hotels ? car rental share ?

Steve

Steve, glad you and Reece are going to make it. Road Atlanta is an outstanding place.

Win

Default Roll Call - Update

Steve, Reece - Thats great you will enjoy this track.

Updated list.....we are rapidly approaching double digits!!!! For those thinking about accomodation see below for a list of local hotels etc

Those on the 'maybe' list let us know are ya in or out!! or

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Dave Blevins
    Reece Everard

Maybe?
    Jason Steeb
    Jim Nash
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Randy Shinn

http://www.atlantascca.org/documents...%20Planner.pdf - note entries should be open late September

Area Hotels (not an exclusive list - see also Road Atlanta website)
    There are others in the area around Oakwood, or Braselton. Also you can often find house/cottage rentals over on the lake especially at this time of year. All are a bit of a drive from the track.
    Last edited by teamclark; 09.12.11 at 10:10 AM.

One of my racing goals is to be able to stay at the Chateau Elan while racing at Road Atlanta. You think they would let me swap a motor in the parking lot? Maybe the Valet parking guys would help. I could call the Concierge and ask if he could find some VW head studs that would hold up.

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default Chateau du Steeb.............

I think the Chateau is very suitable for championship winners .............IF THEY CAN MAKE IT ..... lol

Steve

Default More Info

Here's the link to more info on the ARRC, inc paddock areas, more hotel info, prior years results etc.

http://www.atlantascca.org/arrc.html

We are Group 3 this year (Group 5 in 2010) so we will be finished early on Saturday (before lunch based on the current schedule) for those that want to get a head start on the trip home - although I recommend sticking around for Saturday night dinner!

Well I've got (another) brand new motor in the Jimmy and I just made a deal on (another) smaller trailer. So I should be good to go for ARRC.

No money for food but hey I'm too fat anyway!

See you in Atlanta!

Bob
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Roll Call Update

Bob thats good to hear - I was thinking of running a pool on distance that you would travel before you had tow car troubles but it sounds like your all set now!!

I have it on good authority that Doug Seim has travelled to Sweden in preparation for the ARRC! The purpose of his trip might be to learn some swedish rally techniques.....either that or he heard that wikileaks had the details on Jason's engine so he was going to secure them before it was too late!

No major changes to the drivers list...9 people have declared their intention (no deposit required) so what about the rest???

Now the FFDA will be hosting a lavish lunch on the Friday or Saturday (tbc) for all FFDA members and crew, and don't forget awarding the series trophy(s) - you don't want to miss that.

So those on the 'maybe' list let us know are ya in or out!! or

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Dave Blevins
    Reece Everard

Maybe?
    Jason Steeb
    Jim Nash
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Randy Shinn

Liked: 67

Unfortunately I am out. It's a long-ass haul from Minneapolis. I'll have to see you all next year. I am sure the FST group will put on a good show as usual.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by teamclark View Post
    Bob thats good to hear - I was thinking of running a pool on distance that you would travel before you had tow car troubles but it sounds like your all set now!!
    Ha! Well I think the tow vehicle is all good. But you wanna talk about just plain dumb bad luck? I bought a used Saab 9-3 Aero from a friend about a month ago. 56K miles, beautiful shape, good deal.

So last night I find I have a flat tire. Holy crap - the whole inner face of the tire is sliced ina circle like someone took a knife to it!?!?!?!?1 Holy crap, the front spring is just hanging there and the pointy part is what punctured and disembowled the tire.

$800 later I will have a new tire (the "old one" was 3 months old by the way) and new springs up front.

Seriously? Which Car God did I piss off and what exactly can I do about it? this is getting ridiculous.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 151

Default What to try

Human Sacrifice!

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    Human Sacrifice!

Oh trust me, several times today I thought to myself "I need to sacfrifice someone"
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Ha! Well I think the tow vehicle is all good. But you wanna talk about just plain dumb bad luck? I bought a used Saab 9-3 Aero from a friend about a month ago. 56K miles, beautiful shape, good deal.

So last night I find I have a flat tire. Holy crap - the whole inner face of the tire is sliced ina circle like someone took a knife to it!?!?!?!?1 Holy crap, the front spring is just hanging there and the pointy part is what punctured and disembowled the tire.

$800 later I will have a new tire (the "old one" was 3 months old by the way) and new springs up front.

Seriously? Which Car God did I piss off and what exactly can I do about it? this is getting ridiculous.
    Bob,

You should know by now as a lawyer you have pissed off all the gods, not just the car gods. So by now you may already be well beyond hope, this may just be the norm for an established lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    Bob,

You should know by now as a lawyer you have pissed off all the gods, not just the car gods. So by now you may already be well beyond hope, this may just be the norm for an established lawyer

hmmmmm - looks like we have a volunteer for the human sacrifice. Remember Sam, I just quit smoking about 2 weeks ago - I'm still a little cranky. ok, A LOT CRANKY
    Last edited by lawyerbob; 09.20.11 at 12:12 PM.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Bob,
    Maybe you need to stop getting cars from your clients. If they had money to maintain their cars, they would not be your clients
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Bob,
    Maybe you need to stop getting cars from your clients. If they had money to maintain their cars, they would not be your clients
    No cars from clients - just bad karma I guess. If this keeps up I will end up BEING my client!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Roll Call Update

Ok so we all know not to ask Bob for advice when buying a car!

Jim - Sorry you can't make it....you probably would have taken out the longest tow award so its understandable!!

Still looking for the remaining few on the maybe list to declare their hand - let us know are ya in or out!! or

Dont forget SR Racing still has a lease car available - you don't have to tow if Jim does it for you!!!!

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Dave Blevins
    Reece Everard

Maybe?
    Jason Steeb
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Randy Shinn
    Jim Nash

Default Registration is open!!!!

All right the green flag has waived for registration - enter early and often!!

All details are at:

Note: Online Entry has deferred payment ie you can enter now but your CC will be charged at a later date. So no excuse for getting your entry in now

Still looking for the remaining few on the maybe list to declare their hand - let us know are ya in or out!! or

Dont forget SR Racing still has a lease car available - you don't have to tow if Jim does it for you!!!!

Yes
    Bob Stack
    Dave Dawson
    Rob Clark
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Dave Blevins
    Reece Everard

Maybe?
    Jason Steeb
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Randy Shinn
    Jim Nash
    Last edited by teamclark; 09.27.11 at 3:27 PM.

Liked: 3

Registered

I'll get registered as soon as we get back from vacation on the 17th. (never know, I might need that $325 to get out of some caribbean jail or something)
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 190

Default Road Atlanta 2011

Unfortunatly, the ARRC is just not in the program for me this year

It looks like 2011 (4th year at the ARRC for Formula First) will be another really great event with a real chance of having another double digit entry for the ARRC. Here are a couple of pics of our class photo in 2008.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.18.14 at 6:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default Roll Call - Update - Slow start to registrations

Ok I know its still four weeks away but we only have 3 cars registered so far???

Remember all details are at:

Note: Online Entry has deferred payment ie you can enter now but your CC will be charged at a later date. So no excuse for not getting your entry in now

Yes
    Dave Dawson - registered
    Rob Clark - registered
    Dave Blevins - registered
    Bob Stack
    Doug Seim
    Sam Farmiga
    Jarod Smith
    George Podgorski
    Reece Everard

Maybe?
    Jason Steeb
    Gary Sharp
    Allen Adderley

Definate No
    Carl Middlelegge
    Bill 'Westie' Bonow
    Butch Deer
    Randy Shinn
    Jim Nash

Hey guys... I hate to do it, but I'm out

It's a bummer too, because I was really looking forward to the Road Atlanta. I've never been there, and it's always been a track I wanted to drive. Too many things working against me though.

I'm thinking about heading down to spectate for a day or 2, but who knows. Maybe I can make the tow next year.

Cheers!
    Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information