Liked: 190

Default Vector GB-4 (AM-1) Conversion

Most have read posts from Lance Renshaw (Lance950KTM) who recently purchased a Vector GB-4 with a semi complete FST conversion (FST except for FV engine).

Lance got his first taste of FST at Grattan in an SR Evolution and wants to get his car on the track. His business has schedule been overloaded, not allowing him to spend time getting the car 100% converted and ready. We talked and agreed that I'll help get the car race ready. It arrived at the house this morning and I've been reveiwing the Vector GB-4 as an FV/FST conversion candidate.

I ran one for DRE in the 2000 season, took it to the Runoffs and finished 12th. As an FV, the car was well thought out and had very nice handling characteristics. After looking at the car in detail, I think the GB-4 (Terry Abbott renamed to AM-1) has to be on the top of my list as a great/simple FV to FST conversion.

I'll post my progress, but the intention is to get Lance on the track for a few MC races yet this year. Most of the major stuff is complete (brakes, BJ beam, steering rack), only the 1200 to 1600 conversion items remain. I'm thinking that a fair amount of cooling components on Jim Nash's Mission will bolt right on making life that much easier.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:33 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 2

Hey Bill,

Please post all the items that you found "wrong" and what you did to fix them. I was not aware of the "6-volt" tranny, or the various starters that are available, or the axle cover reinforcements, or the wrong brake pads, etc....

Mentioning those items might helps others.

I can't wait to get that car out on the track!

Lance

Not really "wrong" so much as "things that will cause trouble". In general, the conversion that was done, was done quite well.

Most of these items are pretty minor to correct, but better now than at the track.

Because the car never had a 1600 engine installed and had a 1200 trans case (6v tranny) which uses a 180 mm clutch/flywheel, clearance needs to be cut in the flywheel area to accept a 200 mm clutch/flywheel. It also needs a 12v starter and adapter bushing (6v case to 12v starter).

The brake pads that came with the calipers are from India and not real "racy". Simple deal, change them to OE VW, Varga or Dura Blue pads.

The brake bias was goofed up (very common) as the bar was way off perpendicular with braking pressure applied. The pedal pivot bolt was also too tight, binding movement.

The axle cover reinforcements are preventative and really should be installed on all leading arm FV/FST cars. Leading arm cars load the axle tube opposite of VW design and have a tendancy to damage the sheet metal axle cover. These plates add strength and keep the covers from leaking (more clamping load).

Lance is currently rounding up parts for the project and hopes to have the car out in late September or early October.

P.S. Be careful when you Bing "6v tranny", I found the results to be rather frightening
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 72

better than a 12 volt tranny! How about a 4 wheel twink?
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 33

What exactly is the axle cover? Is it out on the end of the axle tube where the rotor and such is located? I know that with drums there is a cap that bolts into the casting piece which holds the backing plate and the axle bearing on, is it similar with disc brakes? or am I completely off

Terran,

They mount up where the axle tube meets the side of the gearbox. The photo will give you a better idea
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 33

I had a feeling I was completely off makes much more sense now. I'm used to calling them axle tube retainer rings

Liked: 72

The advantage of the reinforcements is when you have easy landings the side plate won't bend. A really hard landing the side plate won't take all the impact, but you're more likely to pull studs out of the case and incur greater repair costs. I like to have a weak component in the system to prevent damage to thee more expensive things.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

I'll give that Brian has vast experience in the hard landing/shunt area, much more so than myself .

Just about anything is certainly is possible in a shunt, however, my experience has been I've never seen studs pulled out when axle cover reinforcements are used. The tube/side plate is still the weak/sacrificial part and typically is the component replaced.
    Just to be fair, if the shunt was bad enough to destroy the trans, all bets are off.

For those curious, here is one of the side cover reinforcements installed on Lance's Vector. Sort of hard to see as the gearbox and plate are both black.

The conversion completion is making progress. Mostly gathering parts at the moment. I'll clearance the bellhousing today and get the engine installed.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 53

Bill:
    on the front suspension is there a reason they went single shear verses double shear?
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

G.Brian,

Are you thinking about the shock rockers?

If so, I have no idea. That was how it was done. It is pretty stout/heavy duty and only has shock loading. Maybe your thinking of something different?
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.07.11 at 6:25 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Bill I was thinking of the shock rockers. The ones I made are double shear but thinner material.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Default Vector Update

Been a while since I've worked on the Vector conversion as we were busy at Road America last weekend.

A number of parts have come in as others are in process. One that I was hopeful to make the conversion a little bit easier looks like it will do the job. I've borrowed the cooler/filter block from Jim Nash (Thank You) to see how it will fit up on the Vector. Looks like it will only need some minor trim work to function and same a ton of work.

Here are a couple of shots of the Mission cooler/filter block mounted on the "dummy" engine.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 0

I don't want to be a stickler for the rules.... but don't we have to all 4 cylinders?

And don't tell my Lynx, but that Vector is awesome!

When Bill gets done with the car it'll look so nice I'll be afraid to drive it!

Lance

Yep... The cars Mr Bonow has a hand in always look spectactular!

I can attest 100% to Jason's comment, he has had a hand in 2 of mine.

Is it time to nominate Bill for Sainthood? Or President?

To keep this thread on target, here is a couple of photos of the new dry sump tank that drops right in to any Vector. Have a bunch more parts arriving on Monday including a new Mission oil cooler/filter block. The project seems to be moving right along to make a October MC test/race.
    Bill Bonow

Default Vector Update

It seems like time is at a premium lately, too much work (real job). I have gotten a little futher along on Lance's Vector and wanted to post the progress. The Dave Satterly engine is installed, had to lose the sump extension as we don't need it and it became the lowest part under the car . Dry sump hoses and tank are in as is the Mission/SR oil cooler/filter block. I was able to fab up a cantilever bracket for the right side engine brace which saved a ton of potential machining. In general, the car is going together quickly. The last big project is the head ducts. Working with Jim Nash on a re-work of the "ugly" scoops (aka BRD scoops, that have nothing to do with BRD!). The Vector will get the first set out of the mold.

Here are a couple of shots of the progress.
    Bill Bonow

I can't wait!!!

[quote=jsteeb;309451]I don't want to be a stickler for the rules.... but don't we have to all 4 cylinders?

That's an experimental engine...half the weight, twice the mileage...

Default Getting Closer

It's been a while since last posting an update. Most of October was spent in Germany, so little was completed.

The last big item that will go into Lance's conversion is the new "universal fit" cooling scoops. The bucks are completed and currently getting molds shot off them. The concept is that these scoops can bolt on to any car (conversion or purpose built) and have cool head temps without worries/hassles.

Lance's car is back on the ground and running. Lance is working on the nose, but for the most part, the car is 98% ready.

Here are some shots taken last night.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.18.14 at 6:39 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 94

There are so many things that look right with that car.....I can't wait to see it in person.

Hey Bill!

The car looks STUNNING! Did you paint it?

I brought the nose to my shop today as it's getting too chilly to work in my garage at night and Christy wants to get her car inside. I'm still working on the nose, it's got to be perfect to match the work that Bill has done to the rest of the car.

WHOO HOO! Can't wait to run it!

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by LanceKTM950 View Post
    Did you paint it?
    Nope, just a special lens on my camera that makes the objects in my photos look better

Any chance that your going to the AWS Fabtech show down at McCormick Place next week? I'm working our booth (in the welding section directly across from Miller).
    Bill Bonow

Default Maiden Voyage at BFR

Although the car has been driven as an FST before, the car got its first drive today with Lance behind the wheel at Blackhawk Farms.

A tic on the cold side, but bright sun for most of the day. Car ran great, no real issues.

A few photos of the day.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Looks awesome!

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 151

Default Another Gem

Nice work Bill and Lance

Hope some people in MI are looking.

There were some minor teething problems and adjustments that needed to be made and without the generous and knowledgeable assistance of Bill and Doug Dale it wouldn't have been such a pleasant outing.

Coming from tin tops I can say that FSTs ARE real race cars, their cornering and braking are well behind the capability of IT cars. This driver is going to have to raise his driving up to the level of the car.

I can't wait for the next event!

Lance

Liked: 1417

UNR?

Car looks fantastic. Well done, guys. I'm jealous.

Default Nice Job

Lance,

Great to see that you got things running, the car looks good. You also had some of the best people to help you on the maiden outing of the car.

Brian

Midwestern Council does not recognize Formula First so the cars runs in "unrestricted" = UNR in the large and small formula car groups. "Unrestricted" is a catchall for cars that don't fall into any current class.

I'd have been lost without Bill and Doug.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by LanceKTM950 View Post
    Midwestern Council does not recognize Formula First
    At least not yet
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 151

Default Packaging

One of our new people wanted to see the engine compartment packaging.

Any pictures available?

I'll can have engine compartment photos up here in 24 hours.

Lance

Thread Information