Thread: Cat National?

Liked: 8

Default Cat National?

No status reports? It's been very quiet.

ASRF1000

Go to www.Mylaps.com and search for Road America.

Liked: 68

I owe all the FF and FE drivers an apology for wrecking their race.

Group 2 - FE/FF - was shortened to 7 laps, due to oil at Turn 5. I still don't know exactly what let loose, but my car developed a massive oil leak somewhere in the left sidepod (oil sump and cooler) on the straight going down from 4 into 5. I saw the cloud as I turned in at T5 and pulled off-line before T6, but the damage was already done. The good news is that the engine was still running smoothly when I killed the power - the oil light came on right as I was hitting the switch. The bad news is that it dumped enough oil in T5 to end the race early and tear up at least one other car that I know of.

Again, I'm sorry for all the trouble this caused everyone in our race group.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 0

Marshall,

Ugly as turn 5 became, it's racing, you pulled off when you could, and stuff happens. no apology needed as far as I am concerned. If you'd have driven a third of the way around RA, that would be a different story, but you pulled off.

The results show that finish in FF was very close. My wife took some photos, showing the three lead cars clearly in a close battle.

Congratulations to Reid on his win. The FF field was good sized and deep.

I will try to post video of the kerfuffle in Canada Corner (cars running 5th through 8th at the time), which occurred a lap or so before the issue in 5. I have very clear video showing what happened. It was a shame for all involved, even me, the only one to get through unscathed, as the 4 of us were running very tightly, shuffling position once or twice or more a lap.

Results, top 3:
    Reid Hazleton
    Cliff Johnson
    Russell Ruedisueli

I would have loved to see the battle at the front, but not at the cost of the racing we had in the middle of the pack.

Allen Wheatcroft

Liked: 9

Don't be too hard on yourself Marshall. I was on the outside of 5 when that all happened and I didn't even see smoke until you hit the apex of the corner. You appeared to move off line quickly when you realized what was happening. Unfortunately, as you said, the damage was already done.

first car in was Carl in the #14 FE. The instant he applied the brakes, the car snapped and whent into the wall, driver's left then slid across the track and into the gravel. The right rear made it half way down the access road. The next car in was Dan in the #04 FF. He looked like he was copying what Carl had just done but without the car damage. I couldn't say for sure if he hit the wall and if he didn't, he sure didn't miss it by much. His car stopped 3/4ths on the track, right at the apex. It was at that point the Safety truck at 5 called to have things shut down and control immediately called for black flag all.

There was some great racing at the front between Reid, Cliff and Russell. Take nothing away from Reid for winning a shortened race...he certainly earned it and had to work for it.

Further back, the pack that Allen W was in looked to be having lots of fun...then I see him come around all alone. I did get the opportunity to see the video....wow! All i n all a pretty entertaining race. I'll admit I was more focused on the FF guys, but there looked to be a couple of good battles going on in FE as well. Too bad it did end early, it would have been great to see more of that.
    Currently Without Car

Liked: 1432

Marshall-

I agree with Allan and Brad, those things happen and it is part of racing. Yeah it sucks, like really sucks, but hey...it comes with the sport. The red FE, "AJ" (I think) got the worst of it. He looked ok when he got out as I came through the car was missing a few wheels.

Really, those things happen. I don't remember you having ever done that before and I have seen you and your daughter (very cool to have a daughter working with you like that) working very hard on your car every weekend. I doubt this happened because of lack of prep.

Now, when I do that...don't tar and feather me

To all-

But yes, great race through the whole field. It was great to have people make the big tow from CA, TX, and KS to join us. You guys are always welcome.

Man, what a mix of odd weather too. Rain...boiling heat... more rain...sweltering humidity...then sunshine.

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by ASRF1000 View Post
    Go to www.Mylaps.com and search for Road America.

Or just link it directly:
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=691336

It was a shame the race ended early because the FF lead battle was exciting. Glad to see Reid come out on top. Why didn't Scott start the race?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    Why didn't Scott start the race?
    I chatted with Rubenzer at the false grid before the start of my race (group #1).
    He said he hurt the motor in qualifying...possibly due to overheating???
    Greg Gauper
    #15HP
    2011 HP National Champ

Liked: 1432

Scotty didn't really "hurt it" himself. It was a spare engine he had in the trailer and wanted to see if it was any good. It was a rebuild from the one that blew two or three years ago at the Sprints. Well, it wasn't any good. Guess there was water coming out of the intake port like a waterfall. Guess that's a bad thing so he could race. Real shame, I was looking forward to a rematch.

Sorry to spill the beans Scotty.

Liked: 7

That was me, the #14 red FE that was first on the scene at turn 5 after the oil slick was laid down. The corner workers did say that they saw the spillage in progress but couldn't get the flag out fast enough to warn those immediately next in line.

According to the data acquired from my car by Steve Stadel, I was 0.2 seconds into breaking from 134 mph when my mahem started, doing a 180 and making contact with the inside wall with the right side of the car 2.5 seconds later at 75 mph. It was to me the equivelant of hitting black ice.

At first I thought I killed the car, but afterwards saw that everything worked as designed; absorbing the shock at the cost of a lot of expensive bolt on parts, wheels, tires, and extensive bodywork. The experience was a good testament to the strength of the FE car. The next testament will have to be to the strength of my wallet.

Liked: 68

Carl -

I'm glad you're OK, and that your car is repairable. This is twice now in T5 at RA - I definitely need to learn to keep the oil inside the car when you're around. I'm sorry for being the cause of the incident, and you're one of the last people I'd want to get caught up in my mess.

It turns out that the cause of the oil leak was a snapped fitting at the oil filter adapter plate. I had my oil pressure sender attached with a right-angle fitting, which apparently fatigued and snapped off right inside the pressure sender port on the plate. This adapter had been in place for years with no sign of problem (longer than I have owned the car), but now looking at the design it makes sense that vibration would weaken it over time. (Good old 20/20 hindsight.)

Thanks to the rest of you for the support - it's appreciated.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Carl,

I didn't recognize the red car as yours, and am very sorry to learn that was you. It looked like a hard hit. Glad that the car did its job, and isn't hurt worse, and that you're okay. (Don't you usually run #4?)

I hope to see you back out again soon.

Best, Allen

Liked: 7

Thanks Marshall for the apology.

Yes Allen, I am usually #4, my National number. I registered a day after the reserved number deadline expired and a FF entry requested the number before me. I used #14 instead. My car is usually sans graphics but my crew thought it appropiate to suprise me by identifying the driver of my car as "AJ" (as in Foyt) with newly applied lettering. We had some good laughs about it.

Unfortunately, I had to end my season with the incident. I haven't qualified for the Run-Offs although I will be there to support my teammates and enjoy what I expect will be a very good race. I guess I'll have to decide on the best place to watch. Eventually though, "I'll be back".

Liked: 4

Carl, glad you're alright. I was on top on a transporter overlooking turn 5 and saw the whole thing. I've seen a lot of big hits in my 30+ years of SCCA but I think yours is in the top 3.

Scotty

Dodging a bullet at the Pirate Cat National, at least I did, while some others didn't. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug . . . Here is what happened in the pack of 4 of us who were trying to act like Vees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFS_L5Fbjyg

Liked: 64

Wow! Good eyes, great reactions!

Default Cat National

Allen, thanks for posting video, I was the blue Van Dieman #41 you narrowly missed at Canada Corner! Thanks for missing me. It was a fun race albeit short.
    I am #4 in my division, #41 at the Cat Nat'l. Last year I had to take #14 at runoffs. After this weekend, I believe #14 is jinxed, ie: corner 5 and FE wreck, #14 who is also usually #4. I finally got some track time, because at runoffs last year ( my first time at RA) I wrecked in corner 5, as #14, on 1st effing lap. I hope I can change my number from #14 at Runoffs this year!! Call me superstitious!!

Randy

Randy,

I can't call you superstitious - it sounds reasonable to avoid #14 if you can!

That was really a hoot and a holler at the Cat. I have no clue how it would have turned out because we were all pretending we were Vees and doing the draft thing. I'm really glad I missed you too! Talk about luck - I only decided very late that I had enough of a run on Mark to try to follow you through.

It was great to see you guys from Texas at the Cat. I lived in Austin three years but ran my VD in Cen-Div during that time, so I never got to meet any of you in Texas.

As I ran up to Billy Mitchell after the kerfuffle I thought, Sheesh, that was harsh, and then, Oh crap, that means we don't get to do this for 5 more laps! Only later did it hit me how lucky I was. Glad all drivers and cars were okay as it could have been much worse. I dropped a tire on the grass track right there at the '08 Sprints and clouted the Armco hard on the left.

Good luck at Runoffs and by all means show up as anything but #14.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Allen, thanks for posting video, I was the blue Van Dieman #41 you narrowly missed at Canada Corner! Thanks for missing me. It was a fun race albeit short.
    I am #4 in my division, #41 at the Cat Nat'l. Last year I had to take #14 at runoffs. After this weekend, I believe #14 is jinxed, ie: corner 5 and FE wreck, #14 who is also usually #4. I finally got some track time, because at runoffs last year ( my first time at RA) I wrecked in corner 5, as #14, on 1st effing lap. I hope I can change my number from #14 at Runoffs this year!! Call me superstitious!!

Randy

Default Cat National

Allen, some of Texas guys will be paddocked at #148-150-152 Upper Paddock area at Runoffs. Stop by for cold beer!
    Randy

Randy,

I just registered for the race and for test days as well. and I see you're testing too. Look forward to meeting you all . . . the Cat National was really a blast until . . . maybe we can get something like that going at the runoffs but without the surprise ending . . .

Allen W.

Default Runoffs

Allen, I desperately need track time, given the constantly changing weather pattern, I hope 2 days testing I can find dry track sometime. I successfully changed my number from #14 and retained #41, neither was a lucky number, but at least I was running at the end of the race, unlike #14. Did you get a paddock space for runoffs?

Randy

Liked: 99

Default Cat National

Allen- Great camera work.What brand are you using. Mike Sauce

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by M.Sauce View Post
    Allen- Great camera work.What brand are you using. Mike Sauce
    He has one of my smartycams and the mount is a custom LMI mount I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    He has one of my smartycams and the mount is a custom LMI mount I believe.
    Thanks Mike

Joe is correct. Smartycam - LMI (Nick) worked to pad the camera to limit vibration and waviness.

Liked: 99

Default cat nat

Allen- Thanks for the info.Come drink a beer with the Texas group at the Runoffs.By the way where can I buy one?
    Mike Sauce

Liked: 4

I'm considering putting a Smarty cam on Randy's car and would really like to see the mount she made if you can get a picture.

Scotty

Scotty, I got my smartycam and the mount from Dave redzus at precision. He may be able to help you out with some choices. Thx, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Segers View Post
    I'm considering putting a Smarty cam on Randy's car and would really like to see the mount she made if you can get a picture.

Scotty
    Scotty/Mike,

I will check with LMI and see if we can get you a photo fast. Joe Cooley (cooleyjb in this thread) is very helpful with this stuff and great to work with.

Allen

Thread Information