Liked: 896

Default MC engine proposal recommended for approval by CRB

The CRB has recommended that the MC engine proposal for F500 be approved by the BOD. For those who have not see it yet here is a link to the recommendation in the August FasTrack

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...k-aug-club.pdf

OK guys, now we are down to the nitty gritty. We have spent the last year providing the CRB with every bit of information that they have requested. The CRB is now confident that the MC engines will fit within the competitive framework of F500 and that the MC engines will in NO WAY be some sort of overdog within the F500 racing community.

Please note this quote from the proposal that the CRB has recommended for approval:

B. The existing F500 Rotax 493, 593 and 494 two stroke engines shall be the competitive benchmarks for F500. To that
    end, the power of all motorcycle engines allowed in F500 shall be controlled by the placement of 30.0 mm flat plate
    intake restrictors placed between each cylinder throttle body and its corresponding inlet port. All air entering the intake
    ports of the engine must pass through the required intake restrictors. The CRB may require adjustments to the restrictors at
    any time by publication in FasTrack

What this plainly means is that the CRB will not let the MC engines kick everyones butt. The 30mm restrictors will limit the MC HP to such an extent that they will be a couple of seconds slower that front running Rotax powered F500 cars.

I am a 2 stroke fan & a big one at that. I personally got the 494 non-rave engine approved, I also managed the approval of the 494 rave engine. I do not want to see the 2 strokes go away. What I do want is to grow the class with a much younger group of entrants into F500. I am certain that the MC engine with the attendant shifting and true F1 race engine sounds will do just that.

Are the MC engines for everyone? ABSOLUTELY NOT!. I am certain that there is room within F500 for both types of engine. I can guarantee you that the 1st 2 cars we build will be a Rotax and a Suzuki powered car.

Think of this; last year there were 68 different drivers who ran National races in the F500 class for a total of 265 National entries or 3.9 entries/driver. Let's round it up to 4/driver for easy calculations.

Right now we have 8 MC powered cars already racing and another 18 being built by many people around the country. This is a total (today) of 26 cars that will race next year. I think that this is pretty amazing considering that there is not even a National class that we can race in. People are putting their money on the line for this idea & that is a big deal IMHO.

OK Let's assume that 20 of these 26 cars race Nationals at the rate of 4 entries/driver totaling 80 additional entries for F500. Add the 80 to the 265 and you get 345 entries. That's a 30% increase in National participation. Also know that 365 National entries would have put F500 a VERY SOLID 6th in National participation for the 2010 season.

I am certain that if the MC engines are approved for the 2012 National season that many more cars will be built and raced next season.

I want to see F500 grow, not stagnate and slowly fade away and the approval of the MC engine proposal will make F500 grow.

I ask each of you to send your letters of support for the MC engine proposal. Let's make F500 an even better class.

Send your letters to the CRB at this link: http://www.crbscca.com/

Also send your letters to the BOD at bod@scca.com this will go to all Members of the Board.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

From the October* edition of Fastrack:

*NOTE: This preliminary version of the October Club Racing Technical Bulletin is provided at this time as a service to the membership. These items may be corrected and will not be official until published on the Fastrack page of the scca.com web site on or about September 20.

SUGGESTED RULES FOR NEXT YEAR
    The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at http://www.crbscca.com/

FORMULA
    F500
    1. (Multiple) Allow 600cc Motorcycle Engines to compete in F500
    The CRB thanks the many members who submitted input on this item. The CRB supports the concept of a class for a small formula car with a 600cc motorcycle engine, but not as a part of the existing F500 class. The CRB will recommend adoption of an F600 class based on F500 chassis construction rules using 600cc motorcycle engines. Initially, this would be a Regional only class that could become a National class by meeting the requirements of 9.1.13.C. The recommended rules will be those submitted in letter #5202 with 32mm individual intake port restrictors.

Thread Information