Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 0

Default Werner Takes Convincing Win at Miller

Werner Takes Convincing Win at Miller

Miller Motorsports Park, Toole, Utah - (August 6, 2011) Russ Werner piloted his Phoenix F1000 race car to a convincing win in Race 9 of the 2011 F1000 Pro Series sponsored by Goodyear Racing Tires, Williams Racing Developments and George Dean Engines with partner sponsors Hyperco, Jongbloed Racing Wheels, Ballistic Performance Components, Elizabeth Jackson Artwork, Kool Coat, and Geartronics North America.

The field of F1000 competitors took the green flag race under clear skies and warm temperatures. As the field poured into the first corner Nicholas Belling took the lead from pole sitter Werner. Further back, Championship leader Dave Palmer starting in seventh position attempted to take in inside line into the corner in the hope of making up some positions only to find Randy Mitchell already there. The two made contact with Palmer spinning and falling back to the tail end of the field. Mitchell suffered some minor suspension damage in the fracas but was able to continue without losing any positions but would spend the race fighting handling issues as a result.

Nicholas Belling’s stint at the front would be short-lived as Werner quickly took back the position and began to pull away from the rest of the field. As Werner streak off into the distance the battle for second heated up as N. Belling, Archer, Vollum, and Mitchell all ran virtually nose-to-tail for several laps with each trying to overtake the other and move up in position. As Belling lead this train his car began to develop an understeer condition which allowed one driver after the other to finally force their way by dropping him back to fifth where he would finish.

At the back Palmer drove in a valiant effort to make up ground after his first corner spin left him in last place and fighting to keep his lead in the championship. Driving consistently quick laps he evenually caught up to and overtook M.Belling at about half-distance. As he closed on LaBrie to take another position LaBrie spun with Palmer narrowly avoiding contact. Palmer would finally get pass LaBrie a short time later to finish in 8th place.

Terry Biner in a Firman and Chris Ash in the lone Speads-Rilltech competing in his first F1000 Pro Series event both drove cautious and uneventful races to finish 6th and 7th respectfully.

Werner crossed the line in dominating fashion 16 seconds in front of his nearest competitor. Taylor Archer took second place honors with Larry Vollum rounding out the podium finishers in 3rd.

With Nicholas Belling’s fifth place finish and Dave Palmer’s eighth place, Palmer takes a 10 point lead into the season’s final race on Sunday. Nicholas Belling needs to win with Dave Palmer finishing no higher than 8th to have a chance of wrestling the title away from Palmer.

Results, 2011 F1000 Pro Series Race 9:

1. Russ Werner, Phoenix
    2. Taylor Archer, Stohr
    3. Larry Vollum, Stohr
    4. Randy Mitchell, VD-Novak
    5. Nicholas Belling, Firman
    6. Terry Biner, Firman
    7. Chris Ash, Speads-Rilltech
    8. Dave Palmer, Stohr
    9. John LaBrie, Phoenix
    10. Mark Belling, Firman

Saturday Qualifying, Race 9:

1. Russ Werner. 1:22.267
    2. Nicholas Belling 1:23.661
    3. Taylor Archer 1:23.715
    4. Larry Vollum 1:24.005
    5. Randy Mitchell 1:25.141
    6. Terry Biner 1:26.385
    7. Dave Palmer 1:26.645
    8. John LaBrie 1:27.643
    9. Chris Ash 1:27.702
    10. Mark Belling 1:32.008
    Last edited by F1000proseries.com; 08.07.11 at 1:47 AM.

A couple of photos from today:

Liked: 43

Congrats Russ.

Sounds like you put the smack down for race #1.

The D.A.S.S.I decal on the side of the car.

Liked: 7

Default Does D.A.S.S.I do-da D.R. Blipper too?

Dan? Russ?

Race 10 Qualifying:

1. Russ Werner 1:22.302
    2. Taylor Archer 1:23.547
    3. Larry Vollum 1:24.670
    4. Randy Mitchell 1:25.605
    5. John LaBrie 1:26.094
    6. Nicholas Belling 1:26.236
    7. Dave Palmer 1:26.360
    8. Terry Biner 1:26.737
    9. Chris Ash 1:27.905
    10. Mark Belling 1:32.736

Qual Notes:

M. Belling - overnight engine change
    R. Mitchell - crack header needs to fix

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    Dan? Russ?
    I suspect it is just a comment on the bitching on here.

But, I know how much work it was for Brandon to install his direct-acting shifter, so I could understand being proud enough to put a sticker on the car.

Liked: 43

I personally have no idea what Russ has for a shifter, but to go thru the trouble to make a sticker about the great debate is quite funny.

Liked: 21

Default bump shifter

Russ has a bump shifter and push-pull cabel.
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Unofficial results:

1. Taylor Archer
    2. Randy Mitchell
    3. Larry Vollum

Dave Palmer is 2011 F1000 Pro Series Drivers Champion

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Congratulations Taylor on the W, and Dave on the Grand Prize!

I can't wait to get the whole story.

ASRF1000

Congrats everyone! Looks like it was a great weekend.

Liked: 707

Congrats to Taylor and my fellow Nova-Diemen driver, Randy Mitchell!

Anybody have the results for the remaining 7 cars?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

According to my notes the finishing order was:

1. Taylor Archer
    2. Randy Mitchell
    3. Larry Vollum
    4. Nicholas Belling
    5. Dave Palmer
    6. Terry Biner
    7. John LaBrie
    8. Chris Ash
    9. Mark Belling
    10. Russ Werner - DNF CV Joint

Randy Mitchell did a heroic effort driving all the way to Salt Lake City to get the materials to weld his cracked headed between qualifying and the race. With help from his fellow competitors he got it fix and just barely made the grid.

After the race we had a group photo with all the cars and drivers along with the drivers teams members. We had our podium ceremony in front of all the assemblied cars. It was a great sendoff to the season.

Just wanted to thank all of the drivers and teams that have made this such a wonderful season. It's been a real privilege to put this series together for all of you. Thanks fir being a part of it.

The race report might be a little delayed as I'm sitting in the lounge at SLC airport waiting for my flight to Oakland. Having spent the last two weeks living out of a suitcase I'm ready to go home. I hope I can get it out for you all tomorrow.

Cheers everyone!

Liked: 66

Default actual results for the field

First, big congrats to Russ for Saturday - he was awesome. He was set to repeat his performance yesterday until that mechanical during the race. So way to go, Russ!

As for the results yesterday, Thomas was close - maybe a little too much sun and champagne.

Here's the results:

1. Taylor Archer
    2. Randy Mitchell
    3. Larry Vollum
    4. Nicholas Belling
    5. Dave Palmer
    6. John LaBrie
    7. Terry Biner
    8. Chris Ash
    9. Mark Belling
    10. Russ Werner - DNF CV Joint

Congrats also to Taylor for a great win and to Dave Palmer - 2011 F1000 Pro Series Champion! Dave had a lot of fun this season at my expense, yesterday included.

I had a fun race although the only glimpse I got of Taylor, Randy, Larry and Nicholas was at the start. After that I never saw them as I was too occupied chasing Dave while being doggedly pursued by Biner. Had Terry's engine not been down on power the results might have been as Thomas had them. All I know is I had a blast and the racing was clean.

Thanks to Thomas for putting on the series.

I can't wait to do it again!

John

Liked: 273

Default Credit to Thomas Copeland

First off Congrats to Russ & Taylor for their wins. Congrats also to Dave Palmer for taking the overall title...nice work. It Looked as though Russ had it in the bag for Sunday also if not for a mech problem.

Special credit should go to Thomas Copeland for putting this series together, I know he would much rather be behind the wheel. I know the Bellings have much to do with putting the series together so credit goes to them also. Many thanks to Thomas and the Bellings looking forward to next season.

Thanks to all the competitors that towed thousands of miles between events just for the love of open wheel racing.

Sorry I couldn't make it I had last minute business that couldn't wait, downfall of being a defense contractor.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 30

Default Racing in OUR house!

Us Utah boyz tried to keep the hardware local, but Taylor put himself into good position to get some of the spoils with his great drive. Randy Mitchell and Larry Vollem also put in great drives on both days.

What a great group of racers. Had a blast and the EZ Beer Phoenix was nearly unbeatable all weekend.

Saturday surprised everyone, including me, as the car was able to go pretty good right out of the box. We spent lots of brainpower on tire management and shock settings, and only made one aero change all weekend. We were rewarded with the win and lap record.

Sunday was shaping up similar, though with the wind blowing out of the south in qualifying, I was unable to match Saturday's qualifying time. Wind switched to the North for the race making quick times possible in the race. I lowered the lap record again, but mechanical issues kept me from finishing. Not sure what failed yet, but we destroyed a CV, upright, wheel bearing, brake, and a couple rod ends! Not sure what failed first. I thought I had cut a tire, so I stayed out longer making the damage way worse. I retired after 11 laps giving Taylor the shot at a will deserved victory.

Hats off to Dave Palmer, always in the hunt, for bring home the championship trophy. Another great guy to race around. In fact, at the front end of this deal, all the guys are a pleasure to drive close. Clean fun.

One interesting race note: Fastest cars all had cable shift systems, no electrons or other driver aids needed. Hmmm.

Thanks Thomas for putting on the great series and all the great giveaways.

Russ Werner
    EZ Beer Phoenix FK1-09

Default Thrash Award

It seems in this series there is always someone who has a great thrash to fix something busted and barely makes the field. Often they finish well up the order. I'd recommend an extra prize for that each weekend.

I'll issue the first one, for this weekend.

RANDY MITCHELL

Free beers this week for a fantastic job getting that header off, repaired, and back on for the race a minute before the 5 minute warning and then bringing home the NovaDieman to a close second place. Well deserved.

Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by drdestructo View Post

One interesting race note: Fastest cars all had cable shift systems, no electrons or other driver aids needed. Hmmm.

Thanks Thomas for putting on the great series and all the great giveaways.

Russ Werner
    EZ Beer Phoenix FK1-09

Congrats! That Phoenix is super nice. And yes very interesting indeed about the dominate cars all running cable shifters, you certainly make the case that there is no advantage in electronic shifters. Do you personally feel that there should still be a 40 lbs penalty? Also are there any 4 gear (or more) downshift corners at Miller? Seems from the track map it is mostly a fast flowing track with no real "bus stops". Anyway, awesome weekend (too bad about race 2)

Liked: 66

Default There are, Russ is just good

Hey John Paul.

Actually, there is a 4 gear downshift corner - turn 5 (blackrock hairpin).

I even suffered a blown engine due to over-revving 3 different times one afternoon on that very corner (6-5-4-3-2).

Proof (beyond lap times) that Russ possess many skills that I still seek.

Humbly,

John

Default John's Improving FAST!

John, don't down play your pace, or your continual improvement! You are getting faster at a fast pace. Keep up the good work John and Team Phoenix.

Thanks to the F1000 Pro Series, and thanks to Thomas. What a great Class, and a fun Series to run in! I know I speak for all in the F1000 community when I say, WELL DONE! I can't wait to do it all again next season!!!!
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Good point on why there should not be a penalty for the people that want to use shifting systems.

For me, proper shifting is part of proper driving. Any driver of average ability can shift a semi-automatic gearbox. I think driving skills should be important and things like downshift reject should be left to the street cars on the street. Just my opinion. You all get to have yours too!

Russ
    Last edited by drdestructo; 08.09.11 at 7:27 PM. Reason: PC

Liked: 1

MyLaps results?

Cheers,
    Rennie

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Sorry I got your placing messed up John......now if you had just done to Nicholas and Dave what I told ya to do I probably wouldn't have screwed up your position!

Might be a little while until I get that race report and photos online. I just got home from nearly 3 weeks on the road and I got to prioritized things....and some of those things are actually quite beautiful......so ya have to forgive the delay....might be a few long nights ahead....

So Russ, I'm guessing you're a old stick and rudder guy right? Hate the electronic gizmos that help you fly your plane...wait, that's right, you're a airline pilot so you don't get to fly the plane, some electronic indirect acting thingamajiger does that for ya....ah, now I get it!! Probably even has some kind of shift reject included.....I mean it is a Delta plane you "fly" right?

Just wanted to put up a recap of the year and congratulate all the winners in 2011. We had 8 different winners in 10 races. Now that's a competitive series! Well done guys!

Race 1, Thunderhill: Dave Palmer
    Race 2, Thunderhill: JR Osborne
    Race 3, Buttonwillow: Nicholas Belling
    Race 4, Buttonwillow: JR Osborne
    Race 5, Seattle: Kyle Oberndorf
    Race 6, Seattle: JR Osborne
    Race 7, Portland: Lucian Pancea
    Race 8, Portland: Larry Vollum
    Race 9, Miller: Russ Werner
    Race 10: Miller: Taylor Archer

2011 F1000 Pro Series Driver's Champion: Dave Palmer
    2011 F1000 Pro Series Manufacturer's Champion: Stohr Race Cars

Thanks again for a great season and see ya all in 2012!

For me, proper shifting is part of proper driving. Any moron can shift a semi-automatic gearbox. I think driving skills should be important and things like downshift reject should be left to the street cars on the street. Just my opinion. You all get to have yours too!

Russ
    Lol! You sound like my 73 year old dad complaining about working his new TV. I guess you think every driver in F1 is a moron. To each his own, you like driving the setup you like other people like it different, this week you won next someone else. That's the way it goes in racing, people do what works best for them. The real question is it a legal system and it is. BTW, any moron can bump a shift lever to, believe me I know plenty.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    Lol! You sound like my 73 year old dad complaining about working his new TV. I guess you think every driver in F1 is a moron. To each his own, you like driving the setup you like other people like it different, this week you won next someone else. That's the way it goes in racing, people do what works best for them. The real question is it a legal system and it is. BTW, any moron can bump a shift lever to, believe me I know plenty.
    Certainly not many would think every driver in F1 is a moron. Most wouldn't even think more than a couple are....however, get rid of all those driver aids and we'd certainly have a better idea of who is/isn't.

The real question is: Is a 40# weight penalty enough to cause anyone to not use their assisted system (that doesn't provide any advantage) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Certainly not many would think every driver in F1 is a moron. Most wouldn't even think more than a couple are....however, get rid of all those driver aids and we'd certainly have a better idea of who is/isn't.

The real question is: Is a 40# weight penalty enough to cause anyone to not use their assisted system (that doesn't provide any advantage) ?
    I think that a 40 pound weight penalty would be enough to make some people at least rethink the use of their shifter system. 40 pounds is a huge penalty for hooking an air ram up to the shift lever on a bike motor.

Some people wouldn't care because their cars are so heavy that 40 pounds won't be much of a penalty.

Other people might just get fed up and say "**** it" about the SCCA and just run the pro series, where their business might actually be wanted. The CRB has given absolutely no reason to justify their insane assault on the shifting systems and God only knows what those guys will do next to **** up the class even more.

Some people will be fast enough that the 40 pound penalty will not slow them down enough and the CRB will need to try something else to **** them over.

No matter what, there is no way to feel good about the CRB getting involved in this class or any other class.

Liked: 553

Thomas (and all involved),

Great job getting lots of F1000 cars out and creating some great racing.

For me, proper shifting is part of proper driving.
    Couldn't agree more.

Any moron can shift a semi-automatic gearbox.
    Enough with the rumors and innuendo. If you're going to make posts like that you need to name names. Which F1000 racers were you referring to?

Liked: 273

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Other people might just get fed up and say "**** it" about the SCCA and just run the pro series, where their business might actually be wanted. The CRB has given absolutely no reason to justify their insane assault on the shifting systems and God only knows what those guys will do next to **** up the class even more.
    Sorry for the thread jack....I couldn't agree more Wren. I wouldn't even consider having to add 40lbs ballist to my car.

I'm one of those that won't give up the air shifter and if this goes thru I'll just do the Pro Series. I hope the West Coast Pro Series plans to write that one out of the rules.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack....I couldn't agree more Wren. I wouldn't even consider having to add 40lbs ballist to my car.

I'm one of those that won't give up the air shifter and if this goes thru I'll just do the Pro Series. I hope the West Coast Pro Series plans to write that one out of the rules.
    You gotta make it to the track first Gary
    Rumor has it the empty garage space next to ours was yours. We missed ya

Russ you proved this weekend that a shift system isn't required to be insanely fast. Any over rev protection is about a 2500$ blessing. And if you want to grow the class you either gotta find alot of old guys with money or young j
    Karters with rich dads. And if your gonna find youg kids then they're gonna want fancy technology ie shifters. I mean how cool is it to drive a car at this level with f1 style shifters. Doesn't get much better than that

Actually, the guys I've mostly watched changing engines are the ones with the assisted shifters! I don't see an advantage there at the track. Seems maybe it isn't really saving their engines.

I just pulled my engine after one year in the car to send in for rebuild. I have blown one, when I was shifting at 13K. Stopping that seems to have solved that problem. Shifting shouldn't be the issue. Maybe there is more than that. I think the "engine saving" line is for the guys selling them. Really, I just think it makes the cars easier to drive, but what do I know - I'm the cable guy.

I've been known to be insensitive. If I offended any of you assisted shifter guys, I apologize.

Not.

Flame on

Actually, the guys I've mostly watched changing engines are the ones with the assisted shifters! I don't see an advantage there at the track. Seems maybe it isn't really saving their engines.

I just pulled my engine after one year in the car to send in for rebuild. I have blown one, when I was shifting at 13K. Stopping that seems to have solved that problem. Shifting shouldn't be the issue. Maybe there is more than that. I think the "engine saving" line is for the guys selling them. Really, I just think it makes the cars easier to drive, but what do I know - I'm the cable guy.

I've been known to be insensitive. If I offended any of you assisted shifter guys, I apologize.

Not.

Flame on
    No offense on our end your a pleasure to be around at the track and thanks for the oil. Our motor did come out because of the tranny but it was from a wrecked bike so we don't know how it was abused previously. Last year on a brand new 09 gsxr after about 1000 miles of hard racing and testing we figured we had better get George to look it over. He pulled it apart and couldn't beleive how good the dogs looked on it. It was like no one had ever even moved the shift lever. That was our lucky motor and unfortunately due to a failed chain is sitting on a bench with a hole in the block

Banned
    Liked: 1116

@ Wren---

Whether it's the SCCA, a local restaurant, hardware store or car stealership....hard not to blame the customer when they keep getting S'd on and come back for more. If the Pro Series continues to do a good job at this, they'll have no problem surviving. Look at any region/division where SCCA has worthy competition from other sanctioning bodies and you'll see a pretty common outcome.

re: 40#, don't know if that's too much, not enough...doesn't matter. There will always be too many variables to know definitively what was the right amount. A guy drives insanely fast without a system and folks will scream "see it's not neccessary", someone else has one and schools the field at big annual event and folks will say "you can't win without it".

I just have to rely on my common sense meter and know that folks usually don't spend lots of money and time to make their cars less competitive, at least not on purpose, and that every successful effort out there is the sum of many little things.

.....every successful effort out there is the sum of many little things.
    LIKE!!!!!!
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Conrats on the manufacturer win on Saturday dustin. You deserve it. Sorry I gave you such a hard time in portland

Thanks!
    Can't wait for next season, was fun to hang with you guys and talk race cars...and have my horn get some attention too.
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Thanks!
    Can't wait for next season, was fun to hang with you guys and talk race cars...
    Dustin Wright
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

I just have to rely on my common sense meter and know that folks usually don't spend lots of money and time to make their cars less competitive, at least not on purpose, and that every successful effort out there is the sum of many little things.
    I agree that people don't typically spend time and money to go slower, although we have certainly done it at times.

The fallacy is when people/the CRB think that they have to do something about it when someone does spend the time or money to go fast and they do it within the rules we were given a few years ago. It is a silly and dangerous path to go down. This is not spec racing and we don't punish people for having the fast cars.

. Really, I just think it makes the cars easier to drive, but what do I know - I'm the cable guy.

Not.

Flame on
    Of course it makes the car easier to drive, what's the problem with that? Just like you run a diffuser for downforce to make it easier to drive. To say people that use the system aren't real racers is a joke, there are plenty of guys that use them that you wouldn't be able to keep up with, with or without the system. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information